I’m thinking of getting my son a Digitakt for his 16th birthday

Between the DT, MPC and the 404 I feel the the DT is the most future proof. The problem with taking him to the store is he might fall for the MPC right away because of the glossy flashy style. Im afraid that will tip the scales prematurely.

1 Like

It’s important to remember who the gift is for - there are lots of people here saying that they’d rather get a Digitakt than an MPC but also bear in mind this is an Elektron forum so there’s bound to be bias.

I’m a 20 year old who got into MF Doom at the age of 15-16 too, and at the age of 16 I would definitely have preferred an MPC mainly due to the pads and being able to do everything in one box. However, I’d probably prefer a Digitakt now but that’s because I’ve spent lots of time researching and the Digitakt is generally a more inspiring machine, but Elektron equipment takes time to learn, it works best with other equipment and is very very nerdy (I have Elektron equipment so I’m allowed to say this!!). I think you’re the best judge of his character and remember who you’re buying it for!

1 Like

Then go to the shop … the more he falls for an instrument, the more it will make him happy. And keep in mind … your boy is not a child anymore … he’s a young man already … even capbable to become a father himselves … :wink:

Also, MF Doom used MPCs to make lots and lots of his music, so I think your son would acknowledge that a lot

1 Like

Let me add this saying … hopefully understood to be ment respectfully.

If you are out for fishing, the worm has not to enjoy the fisherman but the fish :wink:

See you’ve presented a good example of why the DT might be the better choice. At first glance the MPC seems like the right choice but after some research you realize the DT is the preferred instrument.

1 Like

Let’s hope that isn’t the announcement he’ll make after unwrapping the DT

2 Likes

Maybe and maybe not. It depends on the person and age. IMO 16 is quite grown up and he might as well have a good idea already.

What about a father son talk about all of this … maybe he is on the DT right away, or he has some other ideas, or a particular dream?

I had always fun to fulfill a dream, if possible. There are so few dreams of our children, which we can fulfill.

1 Like

Yeah I get why that is also an argument for the Digitakt, but tt’s quite a daunting piece of equipment to someone who doesn’t have much experience. Maybe the MPC is more of a gateway machine!

I feel it’s exactly the other way around! :slight_smile: but then I’m in my later 30s lol :slight_smile:

I’ve been looking for my niece and ended up just getting here the PO20 Arcade.

Also got it for my nephew otherwise he’d get upset and got it for myself too :slight_smile: need to be able to send them quick vids if they actually get into it…

That said, I think either the Novation Circuit or Korg Elektribe 2 would be easier for someone younger but you know your son and you know elektron so…

fair enough! Digitakt is amazing.

Then I’ll have to get PO-33 for grandkid lol

2 Likes

I had a similar situation but my kids oddly enough don’t get into making noise as I do. During lockdown I let my one son 17 borrow my DN and he played with it for a few minutes till it was back on my desk. The other son 17 (twins btw) got my 404 and used it as a coaster. They’d rather lay around with the girlfriends and play golf and tennis. I don’t get it, I failed somewhere?

3 Likes

The MPC 1000 was just what I was looking for when I was desperate to learn how to make jazzy hip hop in the style of MF Doom, Nujabes, Five Deez, Guru etc. The MPC One is probably the best bang for buck on the market for making that kind of music. The Digitakt is a cool drum machine but without proper sample chopping or time stretching it’s always a compromise to make hip hop on it. With preparation in a DAW the Digitakt is perfect but again, it’s a compromise, not to mention that if you’re proficient enough to create stems in a DAW you may as well make the whole thing in there.

The Digitakt is more immediate and playable, and plays really well with other things. The MPC does it all at the expense of immediacy. Both incredible devices. For a 16 year old I’d probably lean towards the Digitakt.

1 Like

Definitely no. They are young men. I would be worried, if they would play with technical toys instead of hanging around with girls :smiley:

4 Likes

the MPC Live / X / One (or however the new stuff is called) is a more feature complete thing … I’d say get him that. And maybe learn together how to make a MF DOOM like track.

2 Likes

Guys advocating for MPC One because of time stretch and all this hi technology forget the hip hop is raw and underground. They made greatest hip hop beats with ridiculous machines without all this technology. Digitakt is The modern old school sampler imo.
And no need anything else than DT to make a really dope beat.

4 Likes

Digitakt is the new SP-1200 IMHO

4 Likes

Never had the SP1200, but from what I know, yes. It share same functionalities with extra features for the DT, and since the 1.20 update a BIG extra feature to make beats: TRIG+YES :slight_smile: .
Not the same sound at all, but the DT have his own sound. I like it more and more.