I’m thinking of getting my son a Digitakt for his 16th birthday

I feel with the DT is an very capable hip-hop instrument. It has all the elements you’ll need for producing MFDoom style beats. Obviously so does the MPC and then some but there’s also details I’m considering. I like the form factor of the DT, it’s compact an easy to stow in a backpack. I also like that it can connect with a cellphone and record directly from or to it. This is a huge plus for the DT because he he can record beats directly onto his Instagram account without the need for more gear for example. Not saying he’s on Social media a lot, I’m just thinking ahead here.

2 Likes

The MPC is king for chopping no argument there. The DT is capable though, especially with the p locking the sample start, not as precise but that could be a good thing.

1 Like

Now I start thinking or …better … hoping that you don’t buy the DT for yourself … :smiley:

2 Likes

i’m not saying the DT is not capable, I have it and used to have an mpc as well

but with that kind of beat making the mpc is very much enjoyable with its velocity sensitive pads. and if he’s into mf doom i’m sure at a point he wanted an mpc

2 Likes

I have been considering the SP-404SX as well. The only turnoff is the cryptic numerical display that being said I’m sure it’s easy to use once you get your head around it.

I know my way around Elektron gear! Maybe I’m being bias. :joy:

man reading this, honestly just get him the DT! It’s the box you WANT to get him, and after all it will be a gift from YOU. I think it counts for something that you are excited about it and want to share it with your son. And definitely the class compliant thing is awesome as well!

I think ANY grown man or woman on this forum would be STOKED to be gifted a Digitakt, so for a 16 year old, it’s an amazing gift!! AND as your son grows older, he’ll be able to get his own gear, trade up etc etc. So I wouldn’t worry about getting the perfect/most featured thing (that’s a trap anyway :))

In any case, respect man! in times like these, this is an extra sweet gesture.

4 Likes

Oh yes. Less is more. DT is the Fastest way to make beats.

Yes, and he can add a battery with Ripcord to portability.

Recording the sound of your phone on the fly and making beats in a minute with it is cool. Also, record you beat or even stream it to the internet sound exciting.

I advocate for the DT :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes the 404 is legendary in the community but the DT is climbing up the ladder fast! :wink: The main thing I like about the MPC is the pads and I think he’ll thoroughly enjoy the pads as well but you are absolutely right about being too much like a computer (not a bad thing)

Since I’ve been there a couple of times to make a musical instrument a gift, I dear to make a suggestion, which worked well in our family.

Truth to be told, I spoiled it and just asked … why … IMO any musical instrument has a very special and personal meaning for a musician and should fit as best as it can to this person. Nobody is happy with an expensive violine, when playing drums was the dream.

None of my kids complained, they were even happy that I asked. I made suggestions, they did some research by themselves, checked my suggestions and at the end of the day everybody was happy :smiley: and even better … they use those gifts … for years now :smiley:

4 Likes

I kinda see it as a right of passage type gift. Thank you

1 Like

I would include a PO-33 if considering the 404 as it adds chromatic and pitch abilities. They make a great pair. In fact, if I had to keep one id keep the 33 as it’s just so much fun and easy to create beats in seconds.

1 Like

This is really sweet and cool :slight_smile: As others have said, the main drawback with the DT is the lack of slicing, timestretch and pads. But slicing samples manually gives really interesting results, and he can definitely make sweet mfdoom-style beats with it. Whatever you choose it will be an awesome birthday for him :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I may have to do this. First I’ll covertly try to figure it out by asking questions on how he likes to make his music.

1 Like

One thought - just to put it out there - is that a 16 year old might consider the sometimes DOS-like UI of the Digitakt quite backward and possibly archaic (eg the file handling etc). Unlike many of us, a 16 year old has likely never used anything other than attractive, modern UIs and so this could come as a bit of a shock! Let’s be honest, it’s not just the visuals too - the file handling usage and its limitations/speed of use can be pretty clunky.

Personally for a kid that age I’d recommend an MPC One as something that obviously embracing current UI models (for better of for worse!).

B

3 Likes

Best way to success … IMO :+1:

He might even have an idea already … :wink:

1 Like

I second what was said before: ask him, and even better, take him to the shop on his bday to test a DT and an MPC (bonus: a nice father - son moment in the shop where you can share your experience).

I’m all for the DT here, but maybe he’ll enjoy the tactile experience of pads a bit more. Regarding ease of use, there are so many ressources online, I’m sure he’ll find his way through.

Sp404sx is cool as well, but he will enter hardware beatmaking the hard way: no pitch, no envelope, everything by ear. And if he’s a sequencer guy, he’ll need an audio interface or a recorder to record. But that might be a nice hands on package: sp404sx + a tascam recorder + a small portable turntable, for roughly the price of the MPC or DT.

2 Likes

Top advice … he will love it … and it’s something to remember a lifetime :+1:

I have considered this as well, he does have an affinity for all things retro so he might like the DOS like display.

2 Likes

Can confirm this … just another instrument … one of my sons is proud of guitars having “this special vintage character of built and tone” :wink:

1 Like