I’m really thinking time to swap octatrack for digitakt

If I’m not planning on playing live and have Ableton, I can’t see the benefit . Sure it’s fun, but the digitakt seems to be more what I’m looking for .

Will I regret this ?

Both are excellent. The Digitakt is super-duper as a stand-alone unit and it has its own unique approach to sampled sound(also, after the Digitakt, I don’t think I will ever use the Octatrack as a drum machine ever again)

You can move really fast on the Digitakt- every sound in your project is immediately accessible from the simple turn of a knob instead of jumping into a separate menu and pushing a lot of buttons to find the right sound. However- the Octatrack fits into more opportunities.

The biggest fault of the Digitakt opposes to the Octatrack- you can’t mix the input in with the mix- the inputs are pretty much JUST for sampling(unless you’re using OB). Sure you can pass sound through, but you can’t adjust the level of the inputs, you can’t have multiple inputs and you certainly can’t run the inputs through FX. Also, the performance macros of each are worlds apart.

The Digitakt control-all is great for on the fly sound transformation, but what it offers in on-the-flyness it lacks in wow-factor that just a little bit of thought can bring to the OTs scenes

Obvious comparisons- OT eats longer samples and stereo samples better, DT is a more precise sampling process

The Digitakt is beautiful in that it forces you to do a lot with a little- you can keep your “sample integrity”(which to me means that the sample retains its original essence) with the Octatrack you can make X sound into just about anything.

They’re different things- I have both. I like them both. For one-shots and musical stuff, Digitakt. For fills, slicing and experimental stuff Octatrack

18 Likes

Yes you will regret you didnt do it before :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

The Digitakt is excellent and you can do a lot with it. I’m upgrading to the Octatrack though, because I want Pitch and Time Stretch. If the DT has all the features you plan to use, go for it. No regrets either way, they are both very useful tools.

1 Like

I have both and love both. I generally find the Digitakt more instantaneous and fun to use, whereas sometimes the thought of using the Octatrack seems like a chore. I love the CTRL-ALL on the DT and the fact you can modulate the sample slots with an LFO…

1 Like

I’d never trade my OT for a digi.
But I’m me and your you, you seem to want to trade your OT for a digi.
If I were you I’d trade my OT for a digi. :slight_smile:
If you were me you’d keep the OT. :upside_down_face:

My rule of thumb is if you ask on the Internet the want/desire/choice has already been solidified, just follow your intuition…

8 Likes

Do you rely on “Parts” ?

Because DT doesn’t have Parts or Kits. Just patterns. All kit data stays in a single pattern.

That was (one of) my deal breaker(s)

7 Likes

Operating Thetan (OT) level not yet achieved.

9 Likes

I’ve been mulling over the opposite myself. I’ve been pondering whether or not I should trade/sell my DT and 404 and get an OT to condense things a bit. Obviously I’d lose out on the SP FX and OB, but at the same time I feel like i could get more "complete results from the OT alone. Obviously I haven’t been brave enough to take this plunge though. I messed around with an MKI for around a month or so and really liked it but felt it was a little over my head at the time.

I have same feelings, here. DT is just way faster and immidiate for drums. If that’s what you want to do then go for DT. BUT if you want to do all crazy things OT offers stick around.

2 Likes

Most folks that like using the Octatrack will recommend it to whoever… I love the Octatrack but only selectively recommend to folks I think might like it… :grinning:
It’s a really weird device… I don’t know about OP we haven’t heard enough, but gut feelings usually have clout.

Maybe I should start talking about all the neat things it does? But what about all the trouble I see it bring some that try to learn it? I don’t know, ramble, ramble, Octatrack, ramble, Digitakt, etc… :smile:

3 Likes

this

2 Likes

I never owned a Digitakt but a Digitone. If sample browsing and overall navigation is like on the Digitone, i wonder why most people say that the Digitakt is faster with that. I personally like the sample loading and navigation on the Octatrack more. There are a lot of features that make the OT a keeper over the Digitakt, IMO, but maybe you simply don’t need these features or you haven’t explored them yet. :wink:

5 Likes

It’s a worry that some people say they’ve had OT for two years and still don’t fully understand it, I get that it’s complex but that’s borderline ridiculous.

Compare that to my EMU 6400 which previous to this was the best I’d had . Took me a month to fully appreciate.

Plus Ableton does everything

Ah man I wish I’d come here first before I jumped in the deep end

Cheers

4 Likes

Why not swap for a Push, what benefits does the DT give you?

A benefit I personally enjoy from the Digitakt is the fact it’s an audio interface, and a pretty nice one at that.

1 Like

Yeah I am considering that tbh

1 Like

I had and loved both. The first month or so with OT was often infuriating, but I stuck with it. Ultimately sold my DT with no regrets. OT is my mixer and master sequencer. I happen to think it’s a better drum machine and all those scenes are way better than control all for me. Stereo backing tracks if I want. Live sampling and resampling. Not that I didn’t love my DT, but I love the OT way more. Sold the DT to help fund an A4mkii, which I also prefer as a drum machine to the DT. All I run at the moment is OT, A4 and an 0Coast. More than happy and discovering new things all the time. It’s just the gift that keeps on giving :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hang on to your OT just a while longer. Don’t trade yet. Put in the time until you’ve been where only the OT can take you. Then, decide.

2 Likes

After 10 days with OT?
It took me 3 weeks to realise all possibilities with the beast!

DT is a simpler. :stuck_out_tongue:
I think you can find a simple workflow with Octatrack and do the same (with stereo files).
But I can understand if you’re lost with all possibilities. If you can exchange now…

PO33 is even more immediate. 1 hour learning. :content:

2 Likes

Yeah, 10 days is not enough. It’s worth mentioning that pretty much everything the DT does is very much achievable on the Octa. What DT has going for it is immediacy. AND Overbridge.

But you can definitely use the Octa in a simple fashion – don’t get caught up in analysis paralysis over the myriad possibilities, just load a drum on each channel and sequence away. Assign parameters to scenes and splosh the crossfader back and forth. Days of fun right there.

EDIT: well okay, 10 days might be enough, who am I to say… But I will be left wondering whether you gave it a good enough go

1 Like