I’m done with Elektron

Can you play Wonderwall on an A4 though?

3 Likes

Nahh but I can bang out a mean washing machine pattern on repeat, with a few whale sounds.

6 Likes

Has to be the Next synth challenge!

2 Likes

Whe send the winner A4 wonderwall cover to Liam. I heard he loves electronic music

1 Like

Would I play Metallica on a concert harp? No :wink:

I think it’s not about that each instrument is good for each genre. I was talking about stylistic flexibility and whether a classical mechanical instrument is more expressive compared to an electronic instrument.

As a matter of fact, even a simple monophonic synthesizer with subtractive syntesis offers more options for stylistic expression than a classical mechanical instrument. That is not about mechanical vs electronical. It’s about a musician understanding the instrument and get the best from it :wink:

Bullshit Liam doesn’t like anything :joy:

5 Likes

Totally get it, was just fooling around. The grey areas between acoustic/electronic are always really interesting to me. Recently came across this Knobs video of a reverb pedal designed to make your guitar sound like it was sampled and chopped. Thought that was a very cool design statement https://youtu.be/QrPpxCW4EzI

2 Likes

And there are beautiful acoustic sounds I gave up to emulate with a synthesizer … I got the real thing instead and learned to play it :wink:

I have to say that with Elektron gear you can do whatever: live performance, studio production, sound design and doodling. But when it comes to produce songs and arrangements, it can be very limiting. I don’t think Elektron is having their darkest hour, but I do think they lost something along the way… I remember Daniel (from Elektron) demonstrating the MDUW few (many) years ago and how he was making beats live and constantly evolving… that was it!! that was (is) the power of those machines: sound amazing, playable live like an instrument with may functions, but NOT overwhelming. So I do agree on the “to may options” dilemma… And yes, I do go back to my MD more often then the other Elektron boxes for the same reason.
Also (on the topic of frustration with half baked products): i remember the Elektron user forum before this one and how it was exiting to push the capabilities of the MD and MM with wild experimentation and tricks, and the every little update were celebrated but not expeted: like “they don’t have to… Elektron is soooo cool!!”.
Now I read just complains on delays for OS updates and Overbridge and how cool is the next Elektron product.
So I think the spirit is almost gone… Elektron boxes were deep to explore and easy to use (not hard to learn and use) and people made much more effort to push the limitation in creative and experimental ways to create and perform.
Elektron is dead… long live Elektron!

7 Likes

Exactly. And he’s someone that constantly talks about how great Elektron is. Crazy behavior IMO.

1 Like

I missed those days (didn’t know about elektron back then) but I still visit the Elektron users forum, cause there were many interesting musical discussions, not so much about gear I feel.
That said, I have to admit that I participate in most gear related threads :thinking:

2 Likes

The “Elektron Forum” is for all sorts of things, including passing praise as well as criticism. This thread has simply proved that there are in fact quite a lot of disgruntled Elektron users and this forum is exactly the place to voice those concerns albeit in a respectful manner.

Yes it sounds great in theory, though unfortunately when Elektron is questioned on their forum, even justifiably and respectfully as has been done here, it generally won’t end in a civil manner

1 Like

The collective has been alerted. Escape from assimilation is futile.

1 Like

This is a good thread! It’s interesting because Elektron make amazing stuff, but it’s stuff that’s not for everyone and not for every project, and there is still nothing quite like it. However anytime you go against the grain people will often worry. Like if you start smoking your friends who don’t smoke will worry, and to the contrary if you then quit smoking your friends who smoke will now worry that you’ve quit. If you don’t do what’s expected of you by others they’ll often see it as going astray. It’s just another way. (Existential commentary brought to you by Nike)

1 Like

Is there a patch for getting off Elektron’s? :joy:
To minimize withdrawal symptoms?

3 Likes

Aye, when I quit smoking my friends acted like I’d turned into an anti smoking preacher man when I only even spoke about it when they brought up me quitting. Now everyone’s mostly quit and it turns out I was right anyway, smoking is bad for you :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I’ll just point out that name calling is a terrible way to start a post.

For those who don’t know him, the thread title and post seem designed to generate a backlash. That’s fine, but it’s weird to bash a company and then pretend you’re not doing it. It would be more constructive to point out specifically what’s wrong with Elektron products and/or why other devices work better for you.

If I have to know this person’s entire posting history to get those details, then obviously the message will be lost on me and anyone else who’s not a student of this forum.

Thanks for trying to explain the concept. The idea that people collect Elektron boxes like Pokémon and then decide to abandon the whole “collectible set” seems ridiculous to me (and pretty far from any actual issues with a device’s suitability for making music) but maybe it explains this bizarre behavior.

I don’t think your Apple comparison holds up at all. In general, people aren’t buying Apple stuff as a collectible set based on the completionist drive that fuels Pokémon. And unlike Elektron, the Apple ecosystem is a very real thing. There are features that only exist when you combine (otherwise independent) Apple devices with Apple software and services, there are proprietary or uncommon protocols that limit connectivity with non-Apple devices, and there’s a real cost to leaving the ecosystem once you’ve invested in Apple compatible apps and stored a bunch of your data on Apple cloud services. All of those things are true for other platforms like Google/Android but literally none of them apply to Elektron.

Otherwise, great post!

1 Like

You’re forgetting how invested people are in cool points, I’d argue that losing the claim to being an elektromon master matters a lot more for some people than buying a different phone brand to their laptop

1 Like

Elektromon master…Excellent. The collective status database will be updated and the Queen of the collective will be pleased with your contribution. You have avoided being digitoned.

4 Likes