I’m done with Elektron

I’m no native english speaker, but I’m pretty sure there’s a pun on the title. :smirk:

20 years ago: bought a machine (including manual if lucky), that was all … lol

Wanna try it urgently :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nah. I just got here a little over a year ago. I’ve sold everything else but my Elektron boxes.

I think the OP is just rationalizing his GAS. By vilifying an entire brand you can justify selling multiple pieces of gear, thus freeing up the space and funds to buy multiple NEW PIECES OF GEAR!

For example, if I proclaimed “I’m done with Fender guitars” I could free up enough money to buy a room full of synths — or maybe even a semi-functional modular. And it sure would be fun to play with all that new stuff. The “research” (i.e. shopping), waiting for packages to arrive, hooking it all up and reading the manuals would be so distracting that I wouldn’t even feel guilty about not working on music. I could convince myself I was accomplishing something by “switching it up” or “taking a stand” against some perceived slight by a popular brand.

Or maybe that’s just me. I say do whatever makes you happy, but try to be honest about it.

10 Likes

Ever mess around with a Spire studio audio interface? It sounds incredible to my ears there’s something it does to whatever runs through it that’s really smooth and HIFI, maybe it’s the pre amps I don’t know but it’s a fun little eight track set up

I think he just feels like more of a keyboard player than a plocky/slicey/sequencer guy, but everyone just jumped to overbridge being late and what ever else bothers them, and pretty much missed the point…

5 Likes

Haha, for sure :blush: I’m not planning on buying new stuff, and I feel very confident with my place in all of this. I’m gonna use the OP-1 as a recording solution for now, the Prophet 6 being my main board with the Mother on more funky stuff and a DFAM for drums.

There’s literally nothing out there that I want now, which is a result of having learned and accepted these parts about my good old-fashioned self.

Interesting. So this doesn’t really have anything to do with Elektron. It’s just someone going through a downsizing / simplifying phase.

That’s totally cool, it’s just weird to turn it into brand bashing.

3 Likes

I agree totally. As I’ve stated in this thread, my respect and appreciation for Elektron remains at an all time high. This thread was about personal discovery and arriving to a place due to that, of which I am very grateful that Elektron has been a
part of.

I am a bit disappointed that it turned into a mob from time to time, but maybe I was naive.

2 Likes

So what exactly was your objective? You started a thread called “I’m done with Elektron” on the Elektron forum but you don’t want people to think you’re bashing the company?

Maybe you should examine your communication skills as part of your journey of self discovery. But no offense. I’m just trying to help.

Edited to add a potentially constructive thought: we all move on from gear we enjoy for all kinds of reasons. However, most of us don’t start an “I’m done with X” thread about it precisely because it will (of course) be perceived as a criticism. So if we don’t feel critical about the gear or the company — if, in fact we like it but have just moved on — why would we publicly criticize it?

8 Likes

Thanks. I’ll take it to heart, for sure. Good point.

1 Like

Yeah unfortunately a thread title like that was never going to go down well on an Elektron forum

1 Like

Like most things, it was great at first, and then it went south when someone mentioned Overbridge.

That’s like the Voldemort of Elektronauts.

3 Likes

Well, it’s a total clickbait thread title. I couldn’t come up with something more “controversial” and bound to incite argument and defensiveness if I tried. I still don’t understand the objective, and I don’t blame anyone for bringing up Overbridge.

1 Like

Don’t beat yourself up, it’s not in your hands where a topic heads and while the subject title may seem controversial at first it’s a valid topic which you explained without pointing fingers or anything. To be honest, I could see a whole different, equally valid discussion under the same headline. It wouldn’t be pleasant but well deserved nonetheless and I feel that as long as it’s kept civil there should be - and actually is - room for it on these forums, too.

4 Likes

Overanalysing and aggressive much?!

For those who know @andreasroman from posts over the years the thread title and post make perfect sense and interesting reading! No one can control where their thread meanders to.

Elektron is like the music equivalent to Apple in many ways. Once bitten by the Elektron bug you do feel a sense of Pokemon gotta catch them all about things. For many it works out. For a few they come to a point in time where the whole thing isn’t quite for them. Both results are fine and sharing thoughts on the whole things is more than fine in my opinion. Good to have constructive insight of the rough and the smooth.

4 Likes

I am conquered with the digitakt unit.
Must take time with the samples Edition…
…and the Result be great

It depends on the musician, whether a step-sequencer/synth combination is less stylistic rather than a guitar. … :wink:

Technically speaking, the potential of many electronic instruments allows much more stylistic expression, than any mechanical instrument (like a guitar, or a violine). IMO not all electronic musicians exploit this potential deep enough and if this is compared to a great guitar playing musician, well … :wink:

Just as an example … the guitar produces guitar sounds and six notes on a standard instrument at a time. A good guitar player may play a bass line and a lead melody applying fingerstyle. Now take a groove box like the A4. There are many more sounds and sound shapes possible with basic tone generator/filter than on a guitar. There are four lines, which can be played independently. There can be different rhythms, which a single person could not do on one instrument. Same goes for the OT, which can control up to eight lines.

With enough musical ideas and experience an electronic musician can have an orchestra at his finger tips, perform many styles, interpret his composition every now and then. It’s at least not less stylistic than playing guitar excellently, it’s only different :wink:

2 Likes

Only when you reach Operating Thetan (OT) level can you then safely leave the collective.

2 Likes