I just released an album created by a.i

@chu your album seems to be the first album on uhuh tapes. Are more albums planned? Did you started the uhuh tapes label?

Ok i need “This Machine Kills AI” Stickers now!!

4 Likes

How can you be interested in its creative uses if you don’t care about the artistic process?

3 Likes

Someone could and would probably argue that it takes a lot of effort and creativity to punch text into a prompt, but as long as you can feed that same prompt with generated text from another source (that you may not need to prompt) it’s not a particularly strong argument. At least in my opinion.

At least this whole discussion made it clear this community’s position on generative AI.
This album launched an interesting debate.

Most people respected @chu, please keep avoiding direct attacks to the person: these are not tolerated, however passionate you are.

I’m surprised there are so few people advocating for the exploration of Generative Pre-trained Transformers for music.

Such a quasi-unanimous and sometimes pretty passionate reactions can at times feel like a mob bullying, please make sure we never go this path.

15 Likes

This cropped up nearly two years ago when image LLMs started.

I stand by my first appraisal. (Except I might swap/add to “artificially generated” with “stolen”.

3 Likes

I’ll tell you one thing, enough human beings can’t be trusted enough to raise their kids for me to not even pretend that our species can be trusted to create another species… nope, we haven’t earned that trust yet. maybe tomorrow.

Now using Ai as a tool is a wondrous thought, something akin to the thought of using medical science or science for only good things in the world how wonderful that would be, but like I said earlier that is not what we are really talking about because if only good things were done with it then we would all say it’s nothing but a great thing.

but what we are really asking is if AI can be trusted in the hands of people that cannot be trusted, lol and the answer to that is laughable at best.
and when AI gets to the point that it puts itself in it’s own hands, then all bets are off…

2 Likes

Fully agreed. The current state of generative model training with problematically obtained material tells us that we cannot even trust the developer, so trusting the end user is going to be an absolute no-go.

Not that trusting the end user ever worked out well for anyone regarding anything, be it art or something else entirely.

1 Like

it’s just supplying an already extremely troubled industry with super powers to be extremely troubled with… but you know we could all turn over a new leaf tomorrow and everything could be okidoki :grin:

Ugh, i hate gate keeping like this. Why do you feel the need to gate keep the “Secret Ingredients”? is it gonna make you famous? Rich?
Ego is the mind killer

I think GenAI can be harnessed as a helpful tool for Professionals or hobbyist a like.

A great example i recently witnessed was my own wife, who is currently doing remote studies part time. She had some real problems understanding one of the text books and the initial assignment related to that text book.
So i suggested that she use ChatGPT to ask it to give examples on statements the text book was making. Instead of just straight up cheating, she used it as a sort of study partner where she was jabbing ideas with it. For her it was a great way to get clarification on things she might have misunderstood.

When used like that, as a tool for learning, i think its great. When just using it to write essay´s for you, its not so great. Because in the end, learning is fullfilling, cheating is not!

Suno, i wouldn´t say is cheating. But its taking away the fulfilling parts of making music.
There´s so much expression to be made with music, even with sequenced music. What is it you are expressing through prompts? Especially if you are gate keeping the prompts!

I honestly think the music industry is dead or rather its soul has left long ago. In the past, music moguls had to endure the artistic and creative soul, for them to be able to capitalize it. Now a days with Streaming services and AI, its just a conveyer belt of consumption. And the next generation just sucks the teeth, because they just want to be famous.
The Artist is dead! Long live the content creator!!

4 Likes

The harshness towards the OP by some posters in this tread makes me a little disappointed to be honest.

You might not like it but there is no need for such an aggressive tone imo.

I think there are plenty of legitimate concerns about AI and art but in my opinion it is not as black and white as some of the posts here would have it.

Many opinions seem to me to portray a very archaic perception of art as well. It is the classical art criteria argument and it is very old and very uninteresting in my opinion. It is the same arguments angry people throw at concept art for example (or just modern art in general).

I would not worry about AI when it comes to the quality of art. It will surely turn the music industry upside down and especially the commercial part. But great art is in my opinion always about the artistic voice and the mode of expression (whatever it is) does not change that. I think music made by artists will likely be listened to mainly by people who are really interested in this. Similar to how poetry functions already for a very long time.

This might be a good thing for some artists but obviously not for musicians who’s goal is to replicate an industry standard.

4 Likes

I think ElevenLabs actually has an Artistic Voice setting

Don’t know what they mean by this but I assume it is not what I was referring to :blush:

It means there’s no part of the creative process that can’t be circumvented

I don’t know how I should think about it.
If you like it and someone likes it: yeah. Its something you can do, and therefore it will be done.
Superstars (speech synthesis goes with ai well…) will use it and we will NOT recognise it as ai. I’m sure they already do it.

Its the autotune of 2024.

Anyway: I would enjoy to do something for myself much more than this. Thats why I can play ukulele and have mediocre keyboard skills :wink:

If you had fun, cheez, why not.

1 Like

UDIO uses music without permission to train their algorithm. That’s one of the big reasons the results are great. Also why when you try to generate music, you get “Moderation Error”.

More and more music will become about the process, might as well stream a live feed to twitch and prove that you’re actually making the music.

“Tools” like UDIO don’t give any meaningful control over the output, so anything deemed creative tends to be in the direction of a mashup or cacophony of styles/genres.

1 Like

All the AI art I’ve seen is garbage but I don’t think you all should be hating on this project. This technology exists now and it’s right that people find creative uses for it and play around. And also have fun, which is the most important thing!

1 Like

Seems pretty fruitless given the “passion” of the people opposed to it. Keeping that powder dry for another day.

1 Like

I’ve always lurked the forums but I wanted to come out of the woodworks and chime in that Suno and Udio have been causing me as a composer for theatre and film quite a few restless nights the past few days. The music prompted by @chu would take me about a month to get to the state it is if I would start from a blank slate. AI is obviously meandering into my source of income, the catalog of commissioned work I have made over the past 10 years is also in the hands of a lot of people. In a year or two someone can just drag in one of my compositions and prompt the AI to make something similar.

Honestly, I’m heartbroken about this new technology which is all of a sudden forcing me to start thinking about different career prospectives. I absolutely love my job and know how much of a privilege it is to be able to make a living with music by just composing it in the studio. I’ve sacrificed everything ranging from no social life to no holidays to get to where I am (apart from also being extremely lucky). After ten years, I’ve only just started to get enough income to afford a bit more than the bare minimum…

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and say that this made me sad, I’m grieving a bit over the current state of affairs. I can’t be upset at it, just like coal miners had to accept their mines closing at some point or the ladies manning the telegraph machines became obsolete. It’s just strange that now actual enjoyable jobs that give meaning to people’s lives, to my life, are getting eaten up by technology. I’m not sure if it’s progress but there is nothing I can do to stop or fight it, so for now it just hurts.

24 Likes

As an exploration of the technology I was interested to listen to the album. It is more convincing musically than I’d expect and I’m not sure if I’d be able to tell that it was AI generated.

Regarding the actual content, it’s an interesting mix of musical styles but nothing I’d actually choose to listen to. The tracks lack a structure or anything to keep the listener interested. I’m sure the technology will get better at these at some point but for now I think true musicians are safe.

If the intent is to generate something that can then be sampled / collaborated / edited by the artist - in the way that Actress and patten have been exploring - it seems like a good use of the technology.

I can understand the strength of the opinions written in this thread but I disagree with the more gloomy opinions of how this will affect true artists. Human creativity always finds ways to expand the boundaries of what is currently possible.

Regarding the idea that using prompts has no creative value, it’s similar to saying you can’t use a preset on a synth or a sample that has been used before - an overly simplified argument that ignores the intent or the rest of the creative process.

For me, the argument regarding AI generated music is reminiscent of the arguments about conceptual art, or painting vs photography. The end product is not the only metric to judge by - the process including the artist’s vision, influences, references and history is the important part. I think artists who make use of AI tools and detail their process will be considered true artists over time but we are at too early a stage to know how this will manifest.

2 Likes