I just bought an OT Mk2

Thank you @josker for the clarification.
My OT is going today to be serviced by @Elektron
Hope it gets back soon… I was starting to have some serious fun.

1 Like

OT has come back like new from @Elektron HQ thanks to Christian who has been great :pray:
Having a blast with the machine.
Decided to go step by step, following tutorials on YT while having the manual opened to clarify the points I don’t yet understand.
Have managed pretty well so far and can begin to see where I am going to go with it:
Live resampling and mangling both internal and external sources (DT, DFAM and DB-01)

Edit: I have packed away my Hydrasynth for the moment as things were a bit overwhelming. Will take it out later as I have a Perfourmer Mk2 on the way. I intend to set the Hydra, Perfourmer and Streichfett on a distinct “battle station” driven by NDLR. But that is another story :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just received my Octatrack as well this week :slight_smile: I saw the prices are going up so I quickly decided…

Will take the same approach as you! Take it easy, play and have fun. And if things get frustrated (which happened already :slight_smile: ) I will just turn it off and give it a break. This is so much fun…

I have not yet connected external gear, maybe on the weekend… Starting with a TD-03…

:v:t3: :v:t3:

2 Likes

You will have lots of fun doing this.

How can I download (if possible) the content of the CF card that comes with the OT?
My unit has arrived with an empty CF.
Any chance?

Edit: OK found it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey - it could be worth adding how you found it just in case anyone else comes along and finds this :slight_smile:

1 Like

True enough :slight_smile:
Go to http://www.elektron.se > log in > (under your account) go to “My Soundpacks”
There you go :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Checking in after just over a month of OT: It’s great! It also has the additional side effect of rediscovering other gear (especially my System-1 atm) which gets sampled and sliced to high heaven :slight_smile: My current mo is creating or loading up a patch, pressing record and playing some random chords, melodies etc. and then slicing/pitching/rating the recording for unexpected results. Tons of fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have had mine more or less the same amount of time. There are some thing/concepts I am still not understanding (as I have been busy looking into others):

1. Not sure yet how to go on about parts vs patterns. I am coming from a DT background.
  2. Have not yet used its MIDI implementation, the arpeggiator look very interesting though. Locking to a scale for example is interesting.
  3. Direct sampling (quantized to pattern) vs having a 1 shot Rec Trig.
  4. All the different trigs is having me a bit confused.
  5. Have not yet explored all parameters (AED, Source, LFOs, FX).

I am in no rush though :slight_smile:

Have been following some very good tutorials on YT along with having the manual opened to clear the points I do not get. Also thinking of taking a quick one on one 1 hour or 2 with someone to clarify.

Having a blast with live resampling and remixing on the fly though. Using it with a DT into AB inputs, DFAM into C and Bassline DB-01 into D.

2 Likes

Best thing to do is forget everything you know about digitakt. It came long after OT and was designed by different people.

1 . Parts = Kits. Think of it like that and its easy.
Patterns are not kits, kits are not patterns. Patterns are everything below the transport controls: all the trigs, and the data they contain.

Parts (kits) are the settings for every page on every track above the transport controls. They contain only those settings, not pattern stuff.

So you can make a pattern and switch Parts (kits) to have the same pattern play with completey different sound settings. Or you can make Part (kit) and have multiple patterns all using that same Part (kit) , which is way easier than the DT way in my opinion.

As for the rest, dont worry it will all fall into place in time. Remember, you dont have to use every last feature. I certainly dont.

7 Likes

Love the “above/below the transport controls” observation.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciate your input :pray:

Is that including lock trigs? Like sample lock trigs?

Can’t the MIX page be trig locked?

I certainly won’t have time :slight_smile:

True, true! I hooked up DT and DNK to the OT after watching some of EZBOTs videos and set up the OT now as a mixer, sampling the tracks into 64 step loops then using different scenes. Lotsa fun! Next will be slicing. Also planning on using an old drum machine (Drumulator or R100) to create some patterns and slice those up.

But I want to come up with at least one song every time I explore new possibilities to learn and remember what I was doing :slight_smile:

And why does time fly by when I play with this setup while a working day just seems to never end :rofl:

Its funny how we are all exploring in diff directions. Testament to how diverse this cool machine is!

Currently learning my second OT (first version I didn’t spend any time with it) At the moment Im sequencing my audio track samples as well as using MIDI tracks. e.g sequencing DAW synth / drum plug ins via OT MIDI as well as my Digitone which is set as a thru Track - cool fun. Just waiting for more cables to arrive so my DAW plugin also goes back into the Octatrack for Sampling.

I also just used Kitmaker software to turn all my Native Instrument Expansions into compatible samples (batch process) and uploaded some of these to my SD Card. I have a boatload from my Komplete software (never use my Maschine really) so lots of samples. Next is to explore Sample Chains but I’m not sure wether to make Sample Chains of the NI Expansion Pack by Pack or by specific Drum Type e.g. BD / Snares etc. Will prob keep it as Expansion Type as simpler to make and diverse sounds per chain so I know what Expansion I’m using. Any thoughts?

FX I’m starting to feel ok and familiar with. Scenes appear quite logical and had a few plays with this

ARPS I’ve had fun with some DAW synths and Digitone (though I need to practice more as my ARPS sound crap lol) Not played properly with LFO’s yet.

Sampling / recording still on the agenda - have my guitar and Digitone plugged into A/B and C/D etc

Cue Outs - need to read up more about them and studio mode to see how best to use e.g. External FX or use for seperate track or if I do not need at all.

Ive downloaded DOWNIE for my Mac which enables me to rip YouTube videos - have a folder of tons of tutorials and I’ve categorised them by lesson etc.

Yes.

Not sure actually…

1 Like

Not sure either… but I learned recently the Rec1/Rec2 pages can be p-locked.

1 Like

Just tested.
It can indeed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

oh, how? i just tried that and i doesn’t seem to work for me… could you explain?

I just tried it too, and also couldn’t make it work.
I was sure I had read about it in another thread here; maybe I dreamed it.

Sorry. I guess I was wrong.

1 Like

no worries, i was just curious. no clue what i would use that for anyway.

1 Like