I just bought an OT Mk2

I just use the convention, for folder hierarchy, established in the early Octatrack sound packs that I bought like Hell Bent On Circuits.

Inside the Hell Bent On Circuits folder, there is another folder with the same name, and it has a bunch of .work and .strd files. Some start with “arr”, others start with “bank”. Then there are markers and project files. I don’t know for sure which are pattern or part files.

The other folder inside the main sound pack folder is the AUDIO folder, which has a hierarchy of samples.

1 Like

I have folders of samples organised by type, then like @Microtribe save to project folder any project specific stuff. Also you can collect all samples to project if you want it to be self contained, this way any sample that you use from other folders are copied to the project folder.

6 Likes

Thanks for the heads up RE hierarchy on the OT. I am going this way to have a bit of organized library :slight_smile:

Another question - pls let me know if this is not the right place:
I have a flex track with a 2 bar loop (rhythmic) and am trying to set up 2 scenes. A is “normal” and B is “reversed” (loop playing backwards, ie rate from 63 on A to rate at - 63 on B).
What happens is when I go go from A to B, it is all good. Going back to A, the loop plays normal but not at the right tempo, like slowed down. I am surely missing a parameter somewhere…

1 Like

Maybe … but it’s also quite possible that the calibration of the crossfader is somewhat off and doesn’t reach the 0 position on the far left. Search the forum about how to calibrate the crossfader.

2 Likes

In case this helps…

You don’t need to have a “normal” scene (with nothing changed). [FUNC+SCENE A/B] enables/disables the A or B end of the crossfader. You can crossfade between “a scene” and “no scene” this way.

3 Likes

Thank you @Octagonist for the precision :pray:
@tnussb would this be the way? :arrow_down:

1 Like

I actually just bought a brand new rytm mk2, and it also has a loose volume knob like this. I returned it. Apparently its a pretty common issue with the mk2 units, unfortunately.

1 Like

yes

1 Like

Thank you @tnussb for redirecting me to the proper thread as I was not aware you could calibrate the xfader from the test mode.
Much appreciated :pray:

That thing is a rabbit hole.
Love it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just got notified mine is arriving today after almost a month of waiting…excited like a kid on Christmas :smiley:

3 Likes

You’re in for a treat!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have been having a lot of fun with mine since it came in last week - glad I made the swap from the Cocoquantus - which I did love. It’s just a vastly more flexible instrument, and really powerful for abstract but tempo-oriented music. The live recording mode, LFO’s, scene changes, part changes, pattern changes all work together in a great harmony.

Live recording param changes, working fast, and not worrying too much about the outcome has been the most gratifying so far. Some of the limitations I thought would bother me a lot (not being able to pitch down more than 12 semitones, no pitch envelopes), have proved easily solved with part-swapping or sample-locking on a per step basis.

The ability to only map each LFO to a single parameter is also kind of annoying, but its easy to turn the knobs live instead anyways. Very fast track to what could only be described as autechre-ish timbres and rhythms. Should have an albums worth of material in fairly short order.

Good day to all :slight_smile:
I have been playing with my OT for the last couple of days and had a lot of fun (at my level of understanding…) with flex and thru machines.
I have been taking it VERY easy due to the daunting depth of the machine.
So far I have hooked up a Bassline DB-01 to input A and DFAM to input B. Have managed to sync/start/stop with no hassle :blush: Working with a DT previously has greatly helped in this regard.
I am starting to see what I am expecting from the OT (mainly resample thru machines and mains) on the fly. I have not gotten there yet as I am trying to build a couple of templates so as to facilitate my workflow.

I have a question on another matter though. For the moment my setup is basic:
DB-01 in A OT
DFAM in B OT
I am not sure about connecting the OT main out to the DT in. Am I going to loose stereo due to the DT sampling in mono? Are the INs of DT reflected to its main outs?
I could have DB-01 to DT in Left and DFAM to DT in Right then DT main out to OT A+B.
I could even have:
DB-01 to OT in A
DFAM to OT in B
Digitakt to OT in C+D
The advantage I see in my current setup (DB-01 in A OT and DFAM in B OT then OT mains to DT in L+R) is the fact I can track through OB through DT.
What is your take/advice on that?

Edit: @LyingDalai I am most definitely going to get in touch soon for a little bit of advice :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yes. Any stereo information coming from your OT, and sampled by the DT will get summed to mono.

If just using DT to pass audio through then Stereo image will be preserved (providing you set up the ext input channels appropriately)

Personally I would have all the gear connected to the OT inputs, for maximum sampling/mixing/mangling possibilities.

I can’t offer any advice regarding overbridge since I dont have it. And I dont multitrack anything.

3 Likes

@Microtribe thanks a lot for your feedback.
I am not intending to sample into DT (apart from basic drums/perc/one shots to be played by DT). My question was not put precisely enough… Sorry about that :pray:
My only interest was to know if what goes through DT INs would not alter the stereo image. And you answered my question :pray:
Multitracking from OB is (was) an option but not the main point.
After thinking a bit about it, I might just follow your advice and have DFAM, DB-01 and DT go directly into OT :slight_smile:
I will then have Hydrasynth fed into DT INs.

1 Like

Nice.
Find a set up that works for you, and stick to it for a while. At least while getting to grips with the OT. Thats two elektrons and a hydrasynth you got there, thats a lot of possibilities.

1 Like

For the moment it is “only” 2 Elektron machines (DT and OT) and DFAM.
Hydra not in the mix yet. Taking the time getting used to OT workflow.
Setup is working fine:
DT/DFAM/DB-01 into OT.
OT mains to MOTU UltraLite Mk3.
DT is clocking DFAM through a Kenton pro solo for clock/cv/gate.
Pro solo thru to OT.
OT thru to DB-01.
Everything is in sync :pray:

1 Like

Just wanted to say that guys at Elektron are nice people:
Received my second hand OT Mk2 in an overall very good state.
Headphones volume pot was way too wobbly (confirmed by Elektron staff after submitting a ticket) and sequencer buttons in pretty bad state for some of them (rubber coating).
As the unit is still under warranty, they were really quick in accepting to fix the headphones volume pot and replace the sequencer buttons.
Delighted and thankful :slight_smile:
Thank you Elektron :pray:

11 Likes

Soooo…
I am sending my OT to Elektron for a fix of headphones volume knob and sequencer buttons thanks to the nice people @Elektron :pray:

In the meantime, I have drawn an audio routing for my setup :slight_smile: and as I will have to move all my gear to the top floor of our house, that gives me time to plan…

That’s how it should look like:
DFAM > OT in A
DB-01 > OT in B
Hydrasynth > DT in L/R
Or:
DFAM > DT in Left
DB-01 > DT in Right
Hydrasynth > OT in A/B

Then:
DT > OT in C/D
OT Main > MOTU in 3/4
OT Cue > Doctor A > Specular > MOTU in 5/6
MOTU Main > FMR RNC > JBL Nano

How do you knowledgeable people see this?
Does that make sense?

I am looking at the OT to serve as a live mangle whose outputs (main and cue for effects) could be tracked in my DAW.

Any advice/opinion more than welcome :pray: