Hydrasynth from ASM

I’ve been automating filter from Logic. Sounds good :+1:t6:

To the rest in the thread…I find when I blend between wave shapes it doesn’t blend. I just changes abruptly.

Does it morph/blend…am I doing something wrong?

Haha, I’m so so comfortable with Bitwig and its workflow though, I’m not sure I can stand to leave it. I was considering adding the latest version of Cubase to my arsenal as that’s what I first learnt on, way back in 2006. I’ve used Cubase, Pro-Tools, Logic, Ableton over the years, but, Bitwig has been the one I’ve been most comfortable in, so I’d be reluctant to leave it especially after throwing plenty of money at it over the years.

The Hydra does excite me. So I’m going to have to give this some serious thought.

Hopefully, as @phaelam just chimed in, the automation from Bitwig sounds just as good as it does in Logic! Thanks for your comment @phaelam!

Appreciate the help!

1 Like

I was just pointing out it was fine being automated from DAW. I’ve used Blocks, VCV, Euro, MPC…
I will wager Bitwig is as good as any.

[I could be wrong. I tend to be a lot these days]

1 Like

Sounds like you’ve got Osc set to Single mode perhaps, and are sweeping through waveforms, rather than having the Osc set to WaveScan, and then morphing through the WaveScan values. That’s one way to get abrupt changes if that is what someone wants to do, btw.

Try this, set up an Init patch with Osc 1 set to WaveScan, and then go into the Wavelist Edit and just use the Random button to set each of the eight Waves to some random set. Then when you go back to the Osc 1 screen you can hold a note and turn the WaveScan knob, #5, and see the wave shape morph on the screen, while the values go up and down by tenths. (So you get 10 intermediate morphed values.)

Is there a problem somewhere else perhaps. It should work.

2 Likes

Ya I’ll look. Thanks

[a little while later]

yeeaaaaaaahhhh…that was it. single mode vs scan :man_facepalming:t6:
thanks man.

1 Like

Haha, yeah sorry, I was replying to both you and Jukka in my previous comment!

I definitely appreciate your input!

Thanks!

1 Like

I love this thing…its SO versatile. :heart_eyes:

It really is. I was enamored with it immediately but it will probably be years before I feel like I’ve mastered it.
If I was a gigging synth player in ten bands and could only have one keyboard it would probably be the HS.

3 Likes

Is Hydra guilt a thing?

As in inveterate synth nerd I’m always window shopping and checking reviews… working out what I’d like next and why…

But… Since I got the Hydra I keep looking at other synths I’d previously decided I wanted and thinking “but the Hydra can do that”… or “can I justify spending that when the Hydra can get 90% of the way there” it’s almost like anti-GAS. The latest victim is the Super 6. Now they’re hitting the streets I’m starting to question my commitment to the cause!

Is this just me? :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I believe of something inspires you to do stuff, then it’s not bad to add to the kit. BUT if it’s to make you make better music, that’s not the right line of thinking.

I wanted another synth sound or two to go with Hydra some day. But, I find the Hydra is checking all the boxes for me. Sure there’s stuff out there that could crush it in certain departments, but I’m not good enough to merit that. And I have such a good time with Hydra, I kinda have no gas. Its actually a great feeling, feeling like I’m actually covered for once. Happy with the setup.

If you think something will get you going on tunes, it’s probably good purchase. :+1:t6:
If yer happy where yer at :+1:t6:

3 Likes

Yeah, you’re spot on there. It was a bit of a tongue in cheek post but I agree with you about knowing the Hydra can prob do most of what I need. I’ve have some really inspirational buys over the years; DN still does it for me in that regard. Peak has got some of that going on too. Hydra, for me at least, was different. I was blown away on first contact then mellowed a bit over the UI, then moved away from it for a while… but it’s been a slow burn thing and I, using it more and more where before I might have picked something else.

As good as something like the Super 6 sounds (and the SonicState review really wowed me) I don’t know if would have that same inspirational quality that something like the DN did for me, banging idea out one after another. Hydra is getting there… I was making a traditional 808 kit on it the other day complete with authentic cowbell :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think the Super 6 is like the opposite of the Hydrasynth:

The Hydrasynth is super versatile, but you have to work it to make it sound good. But in the end, you can make pretty much any sound on it.

The Super 6 is less versatile, but it has a massive sweetspot. It sounds good right away. But if you want to try to recreate a certain sound, you will probably hit its limits at some point.

It really depends on what you want. They actually really complement eachother, as the Hydrasynth’s weaknesses are filled with the strengths of the Super 6. Although for me, the Roland System-8 filles that role. That is also a synth that almost can’t sound bad. It is also a lot more versatile than the Super-6, but in comparison to the Hydrasynth it has a lot of limitations. But it is nice to have both :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just chiming in here to add, I love the Hydrasynth!
As you were.
:nerd_face:

4 Likes

I’ve been seduced by Nick…it wouldn’t be the first time.

I’ve got the S8 and yeah, it’s a great sounding synth.

After a week with the Hydrasynth desktop I learned that I need to tone down my patches or they’ll never sit on any mixer.
My biggest challenges are not to use mutants on every patch and not to overdo that delicious reverb.

But I understand what you guys mean, it can take some work to make it sound good. Especially if it’s not by itself. Huge ‘showcase’ patches are great and amazing but ‘workable’ patches require more work.

2 Likes

are there any differences between the desktop mod and the keyboard version beside’s the keyboard?

Chord mode, ribbon.

3 Likes

thanks, that’s an interesting design choice to make chord mode unavailable outside of the keyboard version…not even close to a dealbreaker though, been really jonesing for the desktop model

Plus extra fixed control knobs on filter and arpeggiator, on the keyboard version. (You can still get to those controls in other ways on the desktop.)

1 Like

This is perhaps a topic for a separate thread, but I wonder what the largest gap in functionality between keyboard and module versions is, across devices…