Hydrasynth from ASM

Sometimes the Hydrasynth feels completely different than the synth I bought last year. No doubt the updates have contributed, but it’s very easy to create such complex evolving sounds by utilizing the polyphonic LFOs and looping envelopes that you just get lost in all the modulation happening, and it’s like you have to learn a new set of moves. I wasn’t even using more than 1 envelope and 1 LFO.

I recorded a short video of playing with these envelopes, while pushing that new 1-pole filter. Going to derivative yet unexpected places.

8 Likes

Finally got around to playing the recorded livestream.

“You can put the keyboard in a bag too - you just need a bigger bag” made me laugh.

Interesting point about using the ribbon to change time divisions in the arp.

Coverage of the new microtuning support starts around 50 min. I’m a bit unclear though, if that also means Hydrasynth can be used as a quantizer for Eurorack oscillators - say load a Wendy Carlos microtuning on the Hydrasynth, then sequence a Eurorack VCO or something using that tuning. Really nice though that you can run an arpeggiator and switch microtunings while the arp is running so you can preview how each tuning will sound.

1 Like

king Jexus is back and has imparted his magic on said synth.

It was his classic YT video with the Yamaha AN1X that made me buy one

Patches available for purchase

12 Likes

Came to post this. His review was a little weird haha. He was very harsh on it and then ended up saying it’s a once in a decade unique synth that will be more sought after.

Here’s his review, so you can draw your own conclusions:
http://www.syntezatory.net.pl/asm_hydrasynth.htm

The HS it is the furthest thing from instant gratification. It does not have any idiotic “quirks” that you have to “learn” in order to make the synth into something proper (like “turn this option off, don’t use that feature, and use this output instead of that output”). But you do need a different approach and some time to build the sound, because it’s not right there on the panel. It’s one inch underneath it, and several inches deep down in your brain.

8 Likes

Amazing as ever

I added a new patch bank Nibiru to the patch bank list.

Firmware update 1.5.2 available :
https://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/downloads

Also a new free Patchbank, Spacescapes.

Well done, ASM!

3 Likes

Still no fixes for the MPE functionality, according to the release notes anyway…

:face_with_thermometer:

Cheers!

I want one. It’s either this or a Peak. Hard to decide. I do like synths with lots of onboard FX tho

1 Like

I’ve been waiting (somewhat less than patiently) to make that very decision. From an ideological perspective, my heart says Peak. For pure sound design, however, the Hydra’s got one up.

MPE plays a factor in that decision for me as well; but the Hydra’s MPE implementation remains broken thus far, so it’s still anyone’s game there. :wink:

I’m still leaning toward the Peak.

Cheers!

What does this mean?!

2 Likes

I was in the same state of mind this summer. My local store had a great deal on the Peak, bought it, fell in love. Hydra was still on my mind, though. Had an unexpected cash entry from my employers, bought the Hydra, fell in love.

4 Likes

Well thanks for making my decision easier :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It has the bug with mono patches, but otherwise, I don’t seem to have any problems with MPE on my HSD.

1 Like

I bought the desktop version of this synth. Should have it in a week or so.

Oops I did it again…

1 Like

Also uumming and ahhing between this and the Peak, can get the desktop of each for around the same price. I think Hydrasynth excites me more soncially, I watched the Loopop video and some of the tones coming from the Mutators etc. just scream techno. I would probably consider myself more into digital/wavetable/cold sounds rather than fat analogue sounds if push came to shove.

The one thing that is causing me indecision is the control layout… in general I think Hydrasynth looks pretty good to use, not one knob per function obviously but quite logical. However, the wasted use of those knobs on the desktop for arp parameters that you’d rarely change and filter drive really bothers me - there are much more interesting parameters to have “hardcoded”. In particular, I’d really like Filter Env Depth instead of drive as I use this a lot. Tempted to email them and see if they’d ever consider letting you reassign it in firmware!

Is there a quick way to assign macro knobs a bit like the modulation or do you have to scroll through the parameter list? This could go some way to tempting me towards the HS if it can be done in “one touch”…

I don’t have that many knob-per-function synths so part of me leans towards the Peak for this… but I think sonically I’d be more interested in the HS… tough one!

Edit: from their website it looks there isn’t much point asking them if they might change it, haha

1 Like

Yeah, what I mean by the “quick way to assign” is, is there a macro equivalent of this from the 1.5 update?

Not sure where you are, but either the HSD is ridiculously expensive, or the Peak is ridiculously cheap, where you are. Here in the USA the Peak is $1400 (more than the HSK), and the HSD is $800, close to half.

I’m in the UK, and can get either for around £800, Peak seems to have been discounted in a few places recently!