Hydrasynth from ASM

I tried the Argon8 prototype at the last Synthfest but wasn’t madly keen on the feel of the encoders. I don’t like encoders generally (a terrible thing to admit on an Elektron forum!) but these were incredibly light. Hopefully the production ones are better as it was a nice compact thing that sounded good.

2 Likes

Hey what’s up. New to your forum. Solid conversations, had to join. Have been non stop on the hydra for a solid few weeks now. Really impressive peace of machinery. I was wondering does anyone know of any House/Techno patches for Hydra? I would Be very appreciative if someone could point me in the right direction.

3 Likes

Hey, welcome around here!
Yes, the Hydrasynth is a Powerhouse which sucks you in… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Why not take the best presets out there…your own crafted :upside_down_face:

Have fun with the machine.

1 Like

Can we say that you’re do some patches ? The Woodrowlow Patches !

You can start from all the patches that already exist – something else that’s nice about the HS is how open the synth is to modifying already existing patches.

2 Likes

I’ve gone through the stock patch that comes with it. I’ve made up a slew of presets already. I am impressed w/the majority of the samples. I think they would be great for electro and more driving big room tracks. They will definitely get used. But I would also like to make some housier music, with softer elements. I’m just not hearing that in the presets that came stock. I’m sure I could design a preset into what I want. I was just inquiring about different presets for a quicker work flow. Wife, kids and work allow me little time for my obsession. Thank you Gents for the responses.

List of Hydrasynth Sound Banks

If you know about other prepared sounds for HS – please let us know and i’ll add them to this list.

I haven’t done it yet but i want to reorganize the 3 Factory Banks into separate banks by creator. I find that there is a lot in similar by the creators, as for instance Paul Schilling. His demo of those patches is really beautiful. (Yes the HS can be beautiful.)

ADDED: One added at end.
ADDED: Another one added at the end.
ADDED: Hydra Galaxy at end.
ADDED: Ultimate Patches
ADDED: Cinematica
ADDED: Flora

11 Likes

Thanks Jukka!!! I will definitely take a listen to these. Appreciate you taking your time to list these.

1 Like

FINALLY ORDERED MY HSD TODAY!!! So stoked!

2 Likes

I’m very into the sound and architecture of my HSD which I still discover bit by bit after now 2 months - a great machine !

Here are three recordings in which nearly all synthlines are driven by the HSD (other various hardware used for the rest)

Visit my soundcloud for more music, with some Hydrasynth here and there :blush:

6 Likes

I need some help please. I’m trying to load custom Sound Banks such as OSC Ignition. I’m in the preset manager on my desktop. I’ve loaded the .hydra files but it is not updating on the hardware. All I have are banks A-C, then blank D & E. Where are the custom banks supposed to appear? I’ve tried Refresh and restart. Any help would be amazing. Thanks.

You use the Patch Manager, USB cable and power on the HS before you start the Patch Manager.

The P.M. shows two banks on screen. Load the patches you intend to load from onto one side of the screen and the destination bank on the HS on the other side of the screen. Then select the patches you want to move — they will appear selected on the computer screen, and drag them to the start position you want on the HS bank.

I’ve given a lousy description, I’m sure it’s documented better elsewhere. ADDED: Yeah in the ASM Hydrasynth Manager’s Guide.

Maybe this can help you :

1 Like

This is making me excited… Just waiting for Perfect Circuit to ship my order…

1 Like

Hi @Jukka, and @Peter118 . Thanks so much for replying quickly. I’ve tried those steps on the YouTube video. Still no dice. I’ve attached a photo here of what is showing on my destination options. On the left side I have Inhale pacPreset Managerk.

OK You see where it says Packs, Users, in the pull down. There ought to be a third one, Hydrasynth. I think your issue is you first need to select the box near the upper right that says something like Select MIDI Devices or some such, and initialize the hookup of your HS over USB. You only have to do this once and it remembers, it was so long ago now for me that I forgot about this. Again this is no doubt documented well elsewhere.

ADDED: My HS is with my main computer upstairs in the hot part of.the house, I type this downstairs in a cooler place, sitting in front of a fan. IT’S HOT!

1 Like

@jukka it only gives an option for MIDI so i just select Input (hydrasynth kb), attempts to connect 3 times and says communication error. :frowning:

A USB connection is strongly advised if you plan on transferring 128 patches, that’s slow enough with USB. I don’t understand why you’re having a USB problem — is that something that’s happened with your computer before ? Does the HS communicate MIDI to a DAW through the USB, if you hook that up ?

You’ll need to hook up both the input and output with the Patch Manager between your HS and your computer.

At least we’re.closer to the problem. Anyone else here have a suggestion ?

Change USB cables, and use a different USB port, is one thought. If you are going through a USB hub, unplug that and go direct. There is something up with your USB connection.

ADDED: Make sure you’ve done the proper order of USB cabling your HS, powering up your HS, and then starting the Patch Manager, as described in the manual or on that video,

2 Likes

So I got it working, but I had to use a laptop. Not sure what the deal is w/ my desktop connection. Its a pretty high end system. I used the same USB cable so i know that its not that.
Thanks for the help. I’m sure ill have more questions in the future. :grinning:

1 Like

Bravo ! Way to stick to it. It can be frustrating at times, but you gritted it out. Nice going.

Have fun with the new patches !

2 Likes

Just bought an Hydrasynth Desktop today (first batch in Montreal since the announcement) and I gotta say, sweet Mother Theresa, this thing rocks and is awesome.

5 Likes