Hydrasynth from ASM

This forum can be a dangerous enabler. This thing being monotimbral has me fantasizing about layered textures w/ a Matriarch/Abyss.

As someone noted earlier (i think) the sonic space the ASM occupies is conducive to fitting into a mix.

OTOH, I’m listening to Nick’s demo again and I’m finding I like his pad sounds just fine - no layering needed.

No Australian dealers yet either from what I can tell.

1 Like

Yes there are a lot of good demo sounds on ASM’s Soundcloud page

3 Likes

I am really digging the sound of this synth.

1 Like

Who are these people? A new(?) Chinese company with no track record regarding build/OS quality or service.

http://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/about

Does not look like just a bunch of random people but some individuals who have experience in the field. Just because it’s Chinese company doesn’t mean it’s going to be cheap or fllawed product

4 Likes

Why does it matter if its Chinese or a synth from the PNG highlands?

In the 80s it was common to label Japanese gear as ‘bad built quality,’ unauthentic and there was a strong anti-Japanese narrative at play. Now Roland is a mythical company.
There is a current anti- chinese rhetoric, which, on a side note, is becoming almost hysterical in nature.

6 Likes

I second that!
I wouldn’t care if it was from a group of religious zealots, it sounds great! I want it.

1 Like

Indeed, conclusions were drawn pretty fast. “Chinese” was only employed as the little information we know about the company, and not used to depreciate it.

Let’s stay respectful at each other please, while letting behind us this small hiccup.

7 Likes

Any chance we can move this thread to “Other Gear”?

Cheers!

2 Likes

I love that they have those “module select” buttons with which you apparently select oscillators, envelopes, lfos, amp, mixer etc. for editing.
Oh, and I love the concept and the looks^^

Looks like the synth I was dreaming of recently; poly, wavetables, modulation, modulation, modulation and even the SEM style filter is there! Poly AT woop :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Looks and sounds like hq build to me. On the other hand, some well known synt companys have quality control issues , so being known means nothing.

1 Like

I’ve tried them over the years, and Sweetwater only ships outside U.S. territories if you’re U.S. military. I suggest Perfect Circuit.

Video exploring oscillators and mutants. Love the disclaimer at the beginning - says he’s only going to play a C note and focus entirely on synthesis:

3 Likes

A little detail – ASM is an off-shoot/or associated with an established Hong Kong based synth manufacturer Medeli (look here and here). So they’ve been around and have been a quality manufacturer for many many years, and have all the basics for being a synth developer. Their products in the past, haven’t stood out enough that i was aware of them prior to early this year. Likely there has been a push inside the company to break new ground to establish themselves in the first rank.

The Hydrasynth in concept certainly has impulse and guidance from Glen Darcey, so he’s in the middle of this – i’ll let you do an internet look for anyone who doesn’t know of him or his background already. I’m guessing that Chen Jiejun and Dominic Au and many others did some large parts of the heavy lifting (thinking) to get this thing to be real. (Perhaps they were with Medeli for a while and worked on previous products there.) I’ve been trying to research the company president Fanny Cheng with no success so far, (there is more than one Fanny Cheng) but i would say she’s got to be pretty central to this whole thing too. (Anybody here know more about her?) And the Director of Sales Daniel Troberg is likely also important, long time member of the Elektron team – until early this year when he left, leaving a little bit of head scratch as to why. My guess was he was recruited before he left, although maybe he really did want a long vacation and was recruited later.
So there’s more of a story to tell here all around.

Hope i got this more or less correct – someone please help me with the mistakes.

3 Likes

The Hydrasynth was trailed and heard on the podcast here in July (since updated with the full name and a demo video), it seems:

https://www.ambient.zone/the-lab-ep1/

1 Like

That oscillator tour sold it to me, almost … it shows that there are some sound design tools, which really make a difference and are unique to this machine … now I will wait until the first are seen in the wild …

Various rambling about this on the latest Sonic Talk 588.
Starts around 10 minutes in, and includes talk about the origins.

So these don’t draw a ton of current – and it’s just 12 volts. Seems like it would be easy enough to put together a battery that would nest inside that large recess in the back of the desktop version. Wouldn’t create a totally portable unit, but it would be getting close.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

^ why was this post flagged? i dont understand this forum

10 Likes