Hydrasynth from ASM

Troberg should call Hector to make promo videos!

That just a reactionistā€™s tag line to todayā€™s analog hype.

1 Like

hype is for people who donā€™t know their own minds - thatā€™s all

8 Likes

It really seems to be an amazingly feature rich synth and Iā€™m very interested too. So many sound shaping options and sounds great! I have long been wanting a good wavetable synth that can replace the Virus TI and this Hydra seems to be it. Going for the desktop version which I can take with me and itā€™s cool they made pads so it can be played without a keyboard. I need to find a dealer in Europe too.

3 Likes

Virus line is still irreplaceable imo. It has its own unique sound that I love. Its multitimbrality is such a good thing too.

I definitely think this is a good alternative for similar sounds though.

3 Likes

Itā€™s kind of crass for a manufacturer to even pick a side in such a silly debate.

2 Likes

Not much Iā€™d betā€¦ Or the Model:Samples thingā€¦

It may be the same price as the Digitone Keys, but without a nice sequencer built inā€¦ Nah.
Iā€™d be all over the Digitone Keys if it wasnā€™t SO ā€¦ ā€˜uniqueā€™

This couldā€™ve been the Elektron Digital Powerhouse synth weā€™ve all dreamed about.
Imagine the synth engine of this tied to the Elektron sequencer.

But noā€¦ We got Model:Samples Thing.

2 Likes

But advertisers know their own minds; they what to sell as many units they can.

Well iā€™ve been doing my best imagining sequencers tied to it like @GovernorSilver has. All sorts of possibilities that way, i suppose MIDI from something Elektron (Digitakt?) is possible. More likely Ableton though or something generative through M4L perhaps.

Not sure yet.

I can see playing it too.

Iā€™ll be sequencing it with Octatrack I think. Lotā€™s of CC sequencing it that way too. Also possible with DN. Playing it manually yes - good idea :grin:

1 Like

Digital is the new Analog

Orange is the new black ?
(wondering IF all that cheesy advertisement sentences comes from thereā€¦)

English people should reply, maybe itā€™s a common thing since a long long time
Iā€™m French so the first time I heard this kind of sentence was in this TV Show

1 Like

Strange that there are no dealers lined up in Europe yet. I know Sweetwater will ship to Europe if they are contractually permitted by their deal they have with the manufacturer. You can ask their sales department, if they can. I canā€™t imagine it will be too long before there are dealers in Europe.

ADDED: William_WiLD ā€“ Do you know of a EU dealer?

1 Like

Yep, thereā€™s some wicked sequencers using M4L ā€¦ I use some of them with my MonoMachine quite a bit - excellent combinations!

nope.

@Jukka : email sent to ashunsoundmachines so I will post their reply here when I have it

3 Likes

I see that ASM will be showing the Hydrasynth at Knobcon in Chicago this weekend. Iā€™m not too far, but probably will just wait for one to arrive at the front door. Anybody near Chicago here?

In Los Angeles theyā€™ll be at Synth Expo (i think) the end of September.

And if youā€™re in China, theyā€™ll be at Music China in Shanghai October 10th to 13th.

But no Europe?

1 Like

I see they offer international shipping.

Perfect Circuit will also sell it.

If I were you I would wait a bit. I doubt there is a ban on selling this thing to EU customers

2 Likes

Me too. I loved the adventures of Hector, Octatrack making brains explode - or somethingā€¦

Iā€™ll take those wild videos over the ā€œtrying too hard to be coolā€ ones, although in the big scheme of things the vids by Nick, Loopop, etc. do more to sell me on things than any adverts.

1 Like

True.

Itā€™s highly unlikely that teaser campaigns do anything to help sales

I suppose my Octatrack would be one obvious choice for sequencing Hydrasynth, although I havenā€™t considered it deeply, as in how it would sound with trig conditions, scenes w/ the fader, etc. I actually havenā€™t dug into p-locks as much as I thought I would, but I still havenā€™t got into the OT as a drum machine concept.

There are a fair number of interesting Mozaic scripts out there like Chordulator that might be fun to try. The Mozaic community has taken BramBosā€™ vision of a MIDI scripting platform for IOS and run wild with it, much more than what Iā€™m seeing from the similarly conceived Streambyter.

1 Like

Really impressed with the feature set and UI. It looks like what I imagine a modern Ensoniq synth engine would be.
Iā€™m really digging what I am hearing in these videos. Seems like it can be super hifi or lofi, whatever the patch needs.
Also seems like the perfect companion for my Deckardā€™s Dream. Not just for sound layering, but also to play it with a proper polyaftertouch controller.
The more I look at it, the more I think I need it.

7 Likes