Hydrasynth from ASM

The reason i said to look through the factory patches is to pick up some of the tricks for designing your own. They use tricks that are not necessarily obvious things, and different designers have different ways they do things. Also some of the videos have a little description with them, like for example the one done by SeenFromSpace up thread.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing around with the cv mod ins on the Hydra and, oh boy, itā€™s a good olā€™ time.

4 Likes

Playing with the bpm sync times on the envelopes and messing with LFOā€™sā€¦ the wavetables are damn cool on here. Oh the Cloud Reverb and Reverse delays are ACEā€¦

Now seeing what Mutant doesā€¦ fun times :+1:

1 Like

Having that makes so much sense to me. You change your tempo and LFOs and Envelopes stretch or shrink to match the music. There must be other synths that have that, iā€™m just not aware of which ones.

And you have the new mutant now to play with too ā€“ Phazdiff. I assume your HSD came loaded with 1.4.0 . Is the print manual up to date too ?

Nice setup there Bemo. Even a couple of the Behringer big boys in there too. And a Digitone Keys. Is one of your CV in to your HSD audio rate, or are they both CV signal ?

I have installed 1.4.0 tonight and I have the pdf manual open on the big screen for referencing. The Hydra is so hands on Iā€™m finding my way around it no problem at all.
Iā€™m in the Mutant pages trying the FM this is absolutely fantastic. Also the software for transferring patches is a breeze to use. Tomorrow Iā€™ll get in to some serious sound design. Hydra makes for great techno/dub stabs and great bass sounds.
Iā€™m really pleased I seen this thread for Hydraā€¦ Iā€™d say itā€™s my fav synth by a mile. Like I said these FX are something elseā€¦ That Cloud reverb mate :heart_eyes: :frowning:

3 Likes

I havenā€™t set my Hydra up with my sequencer yet but Ivā€™e a question about program changes whilst sequencing.

Whilst changing patches does the FX just cut dead abruptly as it does whilst just browsing patches on the synth? Be a bummer if this is the case. Iā€™ll hook mine up to the MPC X after the weekend, just thought someone might know the answer before I figure it out myself.

Cheers

Didnā€™t know it had cv ins!

Super interesting.

1 Like

Yeah, it has two, and they are really useful. They are both inputs to the Mod-Matrix and so that allows you too have a crazy amount of control with them.

They go to audio rates, so you can use one as an audio input (mono) through Ring Mod into the Mixer, so you can mix it with the two other voices, or run it through the effects chain alone.

Other things you can do to CV IN through the Mod-Matrix, a few ideas:

• Combine the CV with other modulation, or modulate it and output it as a modified CV signal.
  • Do the combination or run it straight though, and send it out as a MIDI CC. CV to MIDI. Iā€™ve not done this yet, but it should work. MIDI CC to CV should work too.
  • Control the mixer for any of the internal audio paths, Oscillators, Ring Mod, Noise, or external. You can control level and pan.
  • Control things like FX, Filter, Envelopes, or other LFOs.
  • Do stuff to the arpeggiator.
  • How about one CV to control the WaveScan (wave table position) and the other CV to control itā€™s level, like an envelope.

You can also use the Expression Pedal input for CV IN too, if you first run it through an adapter that allows you to do that. (Donā€™t make a straight connection, you can potentially damage your HS.) The Expression Pedal goes in to the Mod-Matrix too, so again all sorts of options. So that allows you three CVs IN.

One thing you CANNOT DO is input CV as an external clock signal. External MIDI clock (DIN or USB) only.

Ivā€™e decided Iā€™ll be having the KB version for Christmas. Hydra, apart from the patch changing for me is the best hardware synth since my Novation Nova IIXXL KB

1 Like

I would also like a Hydrasynth for Christmas. Last year I got a toaster.

6 Likes

Hows the toaster sound ?

3 Likes

Not sure but tempted to get an Ether and find out.
I suspect crackly.

2 Likes

Modern toasters often have microprocessors too, so perhaps there could be a wake up toaster tune. :laughing:

1 Like

I guess the only time iā€™ve heard two playing together is the Dominic Au video above.

Heā€™s running two in parallel, both in a generative patch and accompanying each other.

I know Daniel Fisher said you can combine two, and daisy-chain them to get 16 voice mono-timbral.

And there would be ways, to put the HSK in local and externally do a keyboard split to get bi-timbrality, two 8 voice Hydrasynths.

Perhaps some sort of split mode should have been built-in.

And you could connect two with CV and/or Midi CC with the Mod-Matrix. That would be interesting.

I may have said this already, but by Christmas ASM may have another product too. Maybe a sequencer of some sort ??

1 Like

If a musical toaster didnā€™t play this Iā€™d want my money back

1 Like

I`m owning an Hydrasynth desktop since yesterday and so far itĀ“s :blush:

Massive capabilities, great timbres from the deep OSC/Mutators, fast user interface, good built (but the candyshop colors on the pads and the big data wheel are def. not my cup of tea- but i guess its 2020 and trends are set...?!) Anyway, while exploring the new player in gang, some questions came which i collected for the support, but as here are so many ASM heads ill try here first :slight_smile:

• on the Desktop, how is the vibrato LFO engaged? In the Voice menu you can only adjust how much it is driven by a connceted modwheel/miidkeyboard. Is there any way to dial in virbato on the unit itself?
  • what is AnalogFL in the voice menu? the manual is quiet on this
  • when dial in the efx dry/wet the overall sound gets much lower. is it intended or a fault on balancing levels with the efx signal?
  • delays which are clocked by usb midi, are getting out of snyc and back in after a while during jamming, the clock is stable from erm Multiclock, but once in a while the delays are howling like the tempo is shaken and the tape emulation pitches the delay.
  • sometimes a fresh connected modulation slot is doing nothing until the mod. source is stepped one up and back in the menu (e.g. changing from lfo1 to lfo2 and back to lfo1) then the modulation is doing its job. this inconsistency is not really reproducable and happens on all tried modulation connections. someone else noticed that?

so far, i have a fun night exploring the HS on the weekend.
woudl be great to have some feedback/thoughts on the above

all the best

I read the Vibrato is engaged via the Mod Wheel in the pdf manual page 64

Screenshot 2020-05-16 at 20.33.37

Yes I had my Hydra desktop since yesterday, by far the easiest hardware synth to program IMO
Easy to reset mistakes via the ā€œShiftā€ button. Itā€™s my fav synth only after 1 day. Makes for a good light show too lol.

Only 1 problem I have as I mentioned earlier.

When you change patches there is a click and FX cut dead. Iā€™d like smoother transitions as Iā€™ll be using midi ccā€™s to change patches in sets and Iā€™d be pretty pissed if it does this.

Overall 11/10 for sound and ease of use :+1:

Analog Feel itā€™s in the manual.

It adds an analog sort of instability.

oops, just oversaw the AnalogFL partā€¦sry
I did read the part on vibrato in the manual but this part refers on the key version. There is no other possibility to have a vibrato depth on the desktop version? (if so, feature request sent :slight_smile: )

1 Like

My Hydra desktop arrived this morning but unfortunately it seems to have an issue with one of the pads. The note is held indefinitely after releasing the pad. The same pad seems to be very occasionally triggered when hitting one of the bottom row pads. Weird. Stranger still, the issue seemed to go away briefly after updating to 1.4 but is now back. Huge disappointment.