Hydrasynth from ASM

I had all OSC turned to full, amp turned to full, master volume all the way up on an INIT patch and my output was -36db. Glen told me it should be at -6db with those settings.

So…you tell me.

3 Likes

Oh – i missed the Patch Manager!

It is also coming soon but the Patch Managers guide is available!!!

1 Like

I MUST add…
Once I had it, another reason I held onto it is the build is amazing, the UI is awesome. The key bed is awesome. And yes…it looks sick. This synth, despite struggling with it, inspired me to get in front of it and werk with it. And can’t say that for some shit I’ve had.
And even with my issues, I was very sad it see it go.

Looking forward to getting it back and trying the update.

3 Likes

Dunno, hopefully it all works out in your favor man, very impressive synth and you must have wanted it pretty bad to buy it.

2 Likes

It totally spoils me. The standard for me before was my Elektron AK (metal body too) – but the HS blows that away. I have the HSK and it weighs a ton – OK not a ton, but it’s solid.

Analog Keys – Weight: 11.90 lbs
Hydrasynth – Weight: 22.05 lbs
Korg Wavestate – Weight: 6.93 lbs

More Enthusiasm:

I like the knob sizes, there’s the large ones on the configurable controllers, and then the extra-large ones on the Arp and Filter. (Even the relief on the pointer on the top is nice.) And they’re so solid i have no fear using the side of my hand to run up and down them.
And the wheels, i like the way they work. (Perhaps some people don’t.)
And the ribbon – it’s so smooth, and easy to use when you calibrate it, and custom adjust its setup to the keyboard! I don’t know how it was done, the ribbons i’ve used before had movement and click, the HSK ribbon is just smooth. You can even set it to three different octave ranges if you want a really large bend or range, or more precision.
And the poly-aftertouch is so nice and usable – i like the solid bottom before the aftertouch kicks in, which i mentioned before. I have also done a lot of experimenting with the adjustments that you can make with the PA control, and tuned it to just the spot i like. The range on the adjustment is large but it can also be controlled to a very fine grade too. Will be interesting to see how the MPE works.

Enthusiasm flame off.
Be Water.

3 Likes

Warm mode… Neat. Cool to see that they are active on updates. Granted, it was just released, but still nice to see. Still on the radar, but trying to avoid more soundmakong devices and focus on the current setup and workflow improvements (I.e. a mixer might be the next priority, it anything).

1 Like

Ya…it’s really inspiring to be in front of.
Despite lacking that ‘deep warm’ i still found myself wanting to get on it and find vibes.
What it does, it does REALLY well.

So I’m hoping I can get sorted out. :crossed_fingers:t6:

And warm mode…:+1:t6:

2 Likes

Nice! Can you stand the wait for the Osmose for the MPE control? :wink:

1 Like

Some more detail on the new MPE features on the HS.

From the 1.30 Update pdf:

MPE support
SYSTEM PAGE 5 adds the parameter MPE.
The options for this parameter are ON/OFF.
This will allow the Hydrasynth to send and receive MPE messages that are used by many alternate controllers and some DAW’s.

Enabling MPE will lock out, change or disable certain other system parameters.
These parameters are:

• AtTX = MPE Lock
  • MIDI Tx & MIDI Rx = MPE Lock
  • Overflow mode will be disabled

Since the Hydrasynth already supports polyphonic aftertouch, we automatically
map MPE pressure to Poly aftertouch. Any patch that has PolyAftT as a modulation
source, should respond automatically to a MPE controller sending pressure.

MPE modulation matrix additions
With MPE support, we have added some new modulation sources.
MPE-X = This is normally pitch bend control.
MPE-Yabs = This is also referred to as controller 74 in some devices. This is absolute mode.
MPE-Yrel = This is also referred to as controller 74 in some devices. This is relative mode.
MPEoffVc = This is note off velocity.

So the HS can soon, by your choice, both send and receive MPE. There will be MPE control as source to the HS mod-matrix. There is no MPE control in the HS mod-matrix destinations.

So when (that’s a floating when) my Osmose arrives with its EaganMatrix sound engine, i will both be able to control the Hydrasynth with the Osmose keyboard or control the EaganMatrix with the HSK.

How complete these controls are (how many dimensions) in each of those directions and how well this all works is yet to be seen.

5 Likes

So all Glen will say about new announcements is there’s a little more room on the Hydrasynth for new features and there is definitely things in the pipeline, so expect things beyond 1.30 !

The update is available now for download.
The new patch library from Inhalt should be available in a few days. The sample played sounds really good.

And there will be new products other than the HS from ASM !!!

4 Likes

Anybody care to say something about the added feature of taking away the apparent harshness people were talking about?

I’d be very curious to hear a side by side comparison of some sounds with the warm mode on and off

1 Like
3 Likes

So phaelam are you getting a commission on this or something, or at least a credit in the manual? :star_struck:

The effect makes a fairly large difference. I still like the original sound, but perhaps some of the time i’d switch this on. There is a subtlety to this too.

1 Like

For being a whiner?

4 Likes

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

My POV has always been…

“The squeaky wheel gets replaced”
back on topic now

1 Like

Haha, ok.

A couple of small things i picked up from the Sonic State video:

According to Glen.
The next product, whatever it is, will be announced much closer to its delivery. With the Hydrasynth they had to announce it some time earlier than wanted, in order to set up the distributors. Now that the distributors are in place they can hold off on announcement with the next product until they are nearly ready to deliver.

Whatever it is (feel free to speculate), i’ll probably like their next product too.

The other interesting piece of information was that the 3-4 week delay in the delivery was caused by a problem with the heavy bottom metal plate of the enclosure not being entirely flat, and so it was rejected and returned to the supplier, and new parts were obtained which took some time. I had wondered what the hitch was, i had expected my HS earlier in November.

I looked at that plate, i think it’s 3/16 inch thick like the side plates, but the side plates are aluminum and the bottom frame is steel, i think. Which is why this thing weighs a ton.

This is fun !!! Sounds only.

Didgeridoo VS Ducati as Major OSC calls it.

4 Likes