Hydrasynth from ASM

I could hear it. Those images proved it :+1:t6:
I canā€™t stand it :frowning:

You could hear what exactly?

The scope shows definitively that the filter on the Hydra does its jobā€”that there are no extraneous high frequencies, aliasing, or noiseā€”and that it performs much better than the famed Virus TI2 in a direct comparison.

As Glen stated, with the filter wide open, there is a slightly extended top end on the Hydra; but itā€™s clean and the filter works, so what should that matter?

Cheers!

6 Likes

Made another patch using the harmonics of the sync mutator. Osc 2 is a warped wave fixed on a B note and has a lowpass filter to itself. Combine with various filter LFOs and a bit of aftertouch pitch shift. Itā€™s so easy to get interesting textures on this synth. I should be patching more modulation.

7 Likes

Looks like the one Im using is a dud. There is an output issue. At max volume on the Master and OSC amp the volume is extremely low :frowning:

Here is my DT with a single cycle saw, matching the init patches output pictured above, with max vol on master and track levelā€¦

:frowning:

Hmmā€¦ That is curious.

I guess thatā€™s a question for Glen, if he happens around again.

Clearly, the only way forward here is for ASM to send me a Hydra, so I can make a bank of the warmest patches possible, and ultimately put this to rest. :wink:

Cheers!

Bonne chance :+1:t6:

We have a 1 year warranty on the product. If it is bad, then you should return it to your dealer.

2 Likes

If your unit is faulty, itā€™s not your responsibility to cover shipping.

I thought you were just using a buddyā€™s Hydra?

Cheers!

The new v1.30 update makes Hydrasynth fully MPE compliant, I love that! :smiley: (2 more months before mine arrives, hate it :face_with_raised_eyebrow:)

1 Like

You bought one after all those posts about how you couldnā€™t stand the sound? What?

1 Like

anyone can get carried away with birthday money :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks joris.rolling! I see the release of 1.3 is coming. That was quick ā€“ good to see!

Bullet point breakdown of the upgrade:

• MPE support
  • MPE modulation matrix options
  • Warm mode
  • Tighter envelope attack times

Hereā€™s the pdf with more details on the new release, including the list of bug fixes.

On the bug fixes:

One bug fix thatā€™s a little worrying to the tech nerd in me ā€“ Add further protection to the boot loader, to prevent bricking the unit. That means that until you download 1.3 you have a tiny risk. [God did i sweat bootloaders when i did them!] It would be covered under warranty.

Two of the bug fixes sound a little like feature improvements to me:

• FX EQ frequency curves are sharper now.
  • Now the ratio 20:1 of the Compressor is increased.
    Perhaps they get to be called bugs due to failure relative original intent.

Warm Mode allows the user to optionally select the overall response curve of the HS, to ā€œsimulate the frequency curve of a popular ā€œwarmā€ synthesizer.ā€ Iā€™ll have to listen to this to see if i want to use it ā€“ i like the sound as is. It rolls off frequency starting at around 7kHz or so and more then strongly from 10kHz up. This is a voice mode option so that means (i think) that it is stored with the patch, so you can use it or not use it when you want.

Detail from the pdf on Warm Mode:

WARM mode
Warm Mode is a new option in Voice page 1.
It simulates the frequency curve of a popular ā€œwarmā€ synthesizer.
The image below shows white noise from the Hydrasynth with Warm Mode ON (left) and OFF (right)
HS Warm Mode Image
In the image above you can see that Warm Mode reduces the high end a bit while
boosting the low end.

On MPE being added to the Mod Matrix ā€“ this is in addition to being able to use MPE. This is super powerful meaning you can customize your control of HS, and map your MPE controller to all sorts of control in the HS. So i presume that MPE mod matrix control is being added as a source.
Iā€™m also presuming that the multiple key aftertouch is also being allowed to output MPE as well, though iā€™m not sure of that. Iā€™m wondering if they are adding MPE as a mod-matrix in destination as well? {ADDED: No.] LFO and CV control of MPE output?

2 Likes

So, the reasoning was that with all its options, I MUST be able to produce basic warm full sounds as well. And the people demoing got caught up with all the modulation options and crazy soundsā€¦because they could.

If you look at it, itā€™s almost like itā€™s modelled after the AN1X.

Iā€™m donā€™t buying ā€˜vintageā€™ gear. People seemed to have no guilt selling busted equipment. Iā€™ve lost so much money getting shit that, in the end, doesnā€™t werk. So, with the Hydra looking ever so similar to the AN1X in options, with even more, and not being a relic I was hoping.

But, even with all the filters, waves, eq, routingā€¦you canā€™t.

Bottom lineā€¦I fucked up. And donā€™t need to be reminded. Thanks.

1 Like

Hey phaelam ā€“ did you see the new ā€œWarm Modeā€ feature in the new release?

1 Like

Thatā€™s interesting. Another reason I didnā€™t return it. I figured being digital, it was more flexible and could get killer updates.

Unfortunately I sent mine back. It has output issues. Iā€™m hoping that gets resolved and perhaps thatā€™s why I was disappointed with the sound. I had to add a +20db gain on its input.

Hopefully get it fixed or replaced, and returned to me by the end of the month. Been without it for about 2weeks.

(Damnā€¦the shot my ā€˜donā€™t buy vintage planā€™ in the foot)

King of bad luck.

Ya just responded to you. Thatā€™s what I was hoping for. And look forward to getting it back.

It looks like a wildly flexible synth, couldnā€™t the low output just be an internal gainstaging thing?

In addition ASM has published their full MIDI implementation spec.

I have already been experimenting with the NRPN outputs, seeing what was hooked up and how. But the NRPN inputs were blind to me without documentation. Iā€™ll be digging into this document, and may write another post on it later.

Shoot look at the detail you can get to with NRPNs!

Oh and it looks like two patch banks are on the way. Not sure if this is the two i mentioned earlier or what. I expect to see more patch banks over time.

Iā€™m very happy making my own stuff, but will give them a listen ā€“ if for nothing else finding some new tricks.

1 Like

Respect!