Hydrasynth from ASM

Too bad it’s to wide for rack mont.

1 Like

It is still plenty small.

The keybed part could be useful too – maybe with an Arduino MIDI connection. Bit of engineering to do that but not impossible. Nice MPE minikeys controller.

2 Likes

Idk, he doesn’t specify. Nothing about the keybed. Mabye I should contact him.

Now if only the volume button was on the right side, then cut another 40% away. That would be the ideal size. I’d buy it exclusively for the Linnstrument.

2 Likes

Yeah, or anywhere else. I wonder how possible it would be to shrink the left side in ?

The Explorer is inexpensive enough to make this kind of hacking at least something you could consider.

Add this to all the other Heart Breakers i pictured in this post.

2 Likes

Nice one ! Above an Explorer you get a mini Deluxe !

More pictures ? (To see the former hole)

5 Likes

Yeah you can use the Overflow mode and then Unison has more voices.

You don’t have split, unless used with the Deluxe, or some sort of MIDI processor.

1 Like

There is only one more picture from the ports side, I will add it. He states that there is a cover missing, thats why he sells it cheap, $282!

Insta buy…

I can do it myself, so if I see an Explorer with broken keys, I’ll buy it.

1 Like

While technically true, that the regular HSs are monotimbral, in practice they really aren’t. This does mean designing and fiddling with special patches, and some compromises to the feature set.

But given that the HS is so versatile, you can create patches that play and sound multitimbral. To me for all practical purposes they are multitimbral. The versatility that allows this, is both with the Mod-Matrix and with the large varieties of synthesis controls available as destinations.

If you are controlling the synth with the keyboard, this can be set up to use a keyboard split, a velocity split, the poly-aftertouch, or combinations of these three.

Even better is using an external sequencer with MPE, as that adds more control through the Mod-Matrix, and can be quite precise in control.

4 Likes

Bravo!

1 Like

comparing peak vs hydrasynth

4 Likes

perfect. how did you do this?

I didn’t !
I’d use a circular saw with a guide. But I like HSE minikeys !

1 Like

It made sense for the Opsix, much less for the Explorer.

The explorer is wider than the desktop and the fact the cables stick out from the back and aren’t recessed means you usually aren’t gaining too much desk space doing this.

Also the keys are good on the Explorer whereas the Opsix keybed was terrible when I tried it in store.

1 Like

Yeah. Except the desktop is much heavier and bulkier. This would be smaller overall I think

It did make sense with the Opsix. Those keys were trash, but the new desktop modules are so much better because the cut Opsix was still as wide as the original, obviously. Kind of an awkward shape, so it’s a good point you make

I don’t think I’d do it because I love the keys but it is interesting

I’d like to see some hydra tips and tricks. Is there an existing thread for that or is this the one? Someone needs to do an oscillator sink style deep dive the way he made filterbanks and physical modelling strings wirh the Opsix. Still up in the air about whether or not I’d prefer the modwave desktop over the hydra explorer but I just got the Explorer a couple days ago, giving it another chance and it’s making me pretty happy this time around

I like embracing the versatile tone, dirtying it up with slight pw-asm, some Lin-fm, bit reduction, post filter drive, and heavy ring mod levels with mutant combinations. Modulating macros in the matrix set to a bunch of arp parameters can be very satisfying too.

It’s nice having a synth that’s clean enough to fit anywhere but can also have whatever character you patch into it. The only thing I struggle with currently is getting Roland style filtering out of it. Was trying to emulate some heavily filtered JP-8080 supersaw plucks from 2:05 here:

and I just don’t think the hydra filters can achieve that sort of cutoff character.
But as someone proved to me on another forum where I tried to emulate a Juno 6 sound with a take-5, it’s likely just my lack of ability with a given synth to get those beautifully characteristic tones from roland synths out of a relatively simple patch from the synths I own

Btw Opsix MKI is much cheaper, so that would be an interesting desktop version above Explorer ! Also thinking about Minifreak above HSE…:thinking:

Time to start the speculation, again.

Found this patch collection for Hydrasynth. There’s some really cool analog sounding patches here:

3 Likes