Hydrasynth from ASM

While technically true, that the regular HSs are monotimbral, in practice they really aren’t. This does mean designing and fiddling with special patches, and some compromises to the feature set.

But given that the HS is so versatile, you can create patches that play and sound multitimbral. To me for all practical purposes they are multitimbral. The versatility that allows this, is both with the Mod-Matrix and with the large varieties of synthesis controls available as destinations.

If you are controlling the synth with the keyboard, this can be set up to use a keyboard split, a velocity split, the poly-aftertouch, or combinations of these three.

Even better is using an external sequencer with MPE, as that adds more control through the Mod-Matrix, and can be quite precise in control.

4 Likes

Bravo!

1 Like

comparing peak vs hydrasynth

6 Likes

perfect. how did you do this?

I didn’t !
I’d use a circular saw with a guide. But I like HSE minikeys !

1 Like

It made sense for the Opsix, much less for the Explorer.

The explorer is wider than the desktop and the fact the cables stick out from the back and aren’t recessed means you usually aren’t gaining too much desk space doing this.

Also the keys are good on the Explorer whereas the Opsix keybed was terrible when I tried it in store.

1 Like

Yeah. Except the desktop is much heavier and bulkier. This would be smaller overall I think

It did make sense with the Opsix. Those keys were trash, but the new desktop modules are so much better because the cut Opsix was still as wide as the original, obviously. Kind of an awkward shape, so it’s a good point you make

I don’t think I’d do it because I love the keys but it is interesting

I’d like to see some hydra tips and tricks. Is there an existing thread for that or is this the one? Someone needs to do an oscillator sink style deep dive the way he made filterbanks and physical modelling strings wirh the Opsix. Still up in the air about whether or not I’d prefer the modwave desktop over the hydra explorer but I just got the Explorer a couple days ago, giving it another chance and it’s making me pretty happy this time around

I like embracing the versatile tone, dirtying it up with slight pw-asm, some Lin-fm, bit reduction, post filter drive, and heavy ring mod levels with mutant combinations. Modulating macros in the matrix set to a bunch of arp parameters can be very satisfying too.

It’s nice having a synth that’s clean enough to fit anywhere but can also have whatever character you patch into it. The only thing I struggle with currently is getting Roland style filtering out of it. Was trying to emulate some heavily filtered JP-8080 supersaw plucks from 2:05 here:

and I just don’t think the hydra filters can achieve that sort of cutoff character.
But as someone proved to me on another forum where I tried to emulate a Juno 6 sound with a take-5, it’s likely just my lack of ability with a given synth to get those beautifully characteristic tones from roland synths out of a relatively simple patch from the synths I own

Btw Opsix MKI is much cheaper, so that would be an interesting desktop version above Explorer ! Also thinking about Minifreak above HSE…:thinking:

Time to start the speculation, again.

Found this patch collection for Hydrasynth. There’s some really cool analog sounding patches here:

4 Likes

For the Hydrasynth owners that also have experience with the Waldorf Iridium (eg @Jeanne :))

I have the opp to buy a hydrasynth desktop for a fair price locally and given that it is a synth, I’m tempted :joy::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I already own a Waldorf Iridium Keyboard that I love though, and from the first look of it, there’s not much that the Hydrasynth offers that the Iridium doesn’t have / won’t do (I know of a few routing tricks the Hydrasynth does which the Iridium doesn’t, though Waldorf’s Customer Service has mentioned that more routing schemes are planned for a future firmware update).

So I want to ask those who either have experience with both or have experience with other synths and still particularly love the Hydrasynth — what do you love about the Hydrasynth? What makes it worth owning, even if other synths are already around?

And more specifically, what would be some reasons you’d want to own a Hydrasynth next to/instead of an Iridium?

Looking forward to your experiences :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the Hydra and I make new crazy phantasy sounds every time I turn it on, the mutators and routing never stop inspiring and calling to try new things. The interface is great, allows for working fast - similar to Elektrons.

The Iridium was collecting dust and I’m relieved I could sell it without making minus (it was a very low price and like new). Didn’t do anything interesting with it, and had no motivation to do so, since there’s nothing interesting inside that would be worth exploring (except granular and the resonator maybe). It’s just a normal synthesizer with a flashy look that wants to impress. Just my few cents … glad you didn’t ask in the Iridium thread :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

I’ve had the Desktop for about 2 months now and I love it. The workflow is really fast, and I like how I can go from an init patch to something creative and useful in just a few knob turns. The Mod Matrix is super intuitive and one of the best I’ve ever used on a piece of hardware.

Soundwise, I love having all the different waveforms it offers. It just allows for a ton of versatility and flexibility. Feels like I can keep exploring sounds because there are so many different waveforms, and countless combinations of waveforms between 3 oscillators. And they actually sound good.

Overall, it’s just really well thought out, and easy to use. It’s already made it’s way into so many of my tracks. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but I think the HS has convinced me to sell my S6 desktop.

5 Likes

M83 have toned it down to just 5 hydrasynths, a Sub 37 and a Make Noise shared system (on the floor!) apparently.

Some impressive live sounds here, on KEXP last week

13 Likes

I’ve been thinking about grabbing another desktop for a while now. I miss the HS. The 3rd Wave really covers most things that it does (at least the way I used them) but the HS does some sounds that I haven’t hit on the 3rd Wave yet. I also approach the two synths much differently. Especially the desktop Hydra with the pads. The pads made me use the synth completely differently than the keys. Plus, since I have a PolyAT controller now (same keys no less) it would be the best of both interfaces for the desktop. Hmmm… getting all gassy again… :smiley:

Well, not in a hurry to do this, but at some point I’m almost certain I’ll have another Hydra desktop sitting on the table if I can figure out a way to squeeze it in somehow.

3 Likes

Yeah a sub37 would make sense.

1 Like

love my hydra @.@

5 Likes

“Other intriguing rumors include a new modular synth from Supercritical Redshift 6, a new analog polysynth from Cyma Forma, and potential upgrades for the ASM Hydrasynth​​ synthesizer.”

Has this been brought up? I cant find any mention of upgrade rumors!

2 Likes

Well kinda sorta.

I mention my humble desire in a post in the SB24 thread, for an update with some new Mutants added.

I also had an extravagant desire as well.

( I have no insider info. )

1 Like

Another thing i have been expecting for quite a while is a hardware version upgrade for the HSK with the keyboard change to allow Note Off Velocity ( like what is on the Deluxe and the Explorer. )

Don’t really see much need for other upgrades other than that, but there no doubt could be if they make a hardware change anyways.

1 Like