Hydrasynth from ASM

I understood from the manual that it does not send midi CCs but NRPN codes

This is the only part that gets me tbh other than that Iā€™ll find work arounds.

I am very curious to try it and see if it can beat my Waldorf XT - I still believe the XT is the best wavetable synth of all time followed by the Blofeld.

Look at the manual ā€“ the mod matrix has both source and destination as MIDI CC.

As for bugs ā€“ my experience with the Hydrasynth is that software quality is excellent. I have used my HSK many many hours, so i was wondering what the ā€œseveral bugsā€ you were referring to were.

I read about issues with faulty pads and low volume on the output like someone posted on the forum here i believe.

Those arenā€™t bugs.

apeirophobe was having a mechanical problem with one pad on his new HSD. That was 10 days ago, and heā€™s posted since, maybe it got better ? ā€“ hey apeirophobe how did the problem with the pad get resolved ? Was it a matter of break-in or did they replace your unit ?

My friend phaelam had issues with output volume and that it lacked enough bass and sounded ā€œtinnyā€. He returned it to the on-line shop where he bought it, and they told him his HS tested fine.

So these were both manufacturing problems covered by warranty, not bugs. There is a one year warranty on the HS.

Did you have some other ā€œbugā€ in mind.

Yes the shop said that. But glen from Hydra said the info I sent him showed it had a problem. And since they donā€™t deal with replacements, the shop you buy them from doesā€¦I feel I got rooked.

I tend to side with the creator. Iā€™m still super pissed about that. And lost a ton of money

Did you get the money back from the CBSA (customs) ?

Iā€™ve recently had problems with that same on-line seller, although i did get my money back. And i was posting with someone else who did too. That seller is a no-go for me now. I should have learned when you had problems.

What i learned from all this is, with expensive stuff like a synth, try hard to do business with someone you know, who is preferably close by, even if that costs just a little more.

Nothing back from gov.
It was business with someone I dealt with all the time. They are good. This was just a bad experience. And I think the way ASM deals with their own issues is a hand off. Taking no responsibility themselves.

thank you for explaining, i understand now

i am still not 100% convinced about the Hydra.

1 Like

The CBSA owes you that money, try again. ASM isnā€™t responsible for what the CBSA does.

Companies like Roland, who are large enough, have a Service Center in the US and a Service Centre in Canada, where you send your stuff for warranty. Most everyone else, that is smaller and sells through a retailer, letā€™s the the retailer handle the warranty returned goods, and then the repair/replacement is paid for by the manufacturer. So thatā€™s not ā€œhands offā€. And itā€™s pretty much standard practice industry wide.

Iā€™m glad the seller did good by you, and that you are happy with them.

Obviously really small companies who donā€™t sell through retailers you deal with direct.

I dunno. Iā€™ll pick up one when the time is right. If not the Hydrasynth, what ever they make next. Iā€™m super impressed with everything iā€™ve see thus far. I feel like something like the Hydrasynth will compliment what I currently have.

1 Like

Like said Iā€™d get one againā€¦when I can.
Probably the only piece of gear I will have bought twice. If Iā€™m still into it when I have some money.

But nothing werked out as far as the first buy went.

Adding ASM could have easily taken the synth back and swapped it when they agreed I had issues. But they didnā€™t offer.

Meanwhile the Peak I got with the messed up animate button as a replacement, Novation without question said theyā€™d replace. They canā€™t cuz the shop it came from was in the US and Iā€™m in Canada. But they said if I move back or have an address I can ship to in the US they will replace within the next three years. I think that is well handled.

1 Like

As far as making ā€œAcidā€ sorts of sounds, i guess you mean those ā€œsquelchingā€ sounds, and being able to filter and distort a sequence and change it on the fly. That is the sort of thing the HS does well, with all the customizable Macro controls and all the different filters, and the Mutants too.

Can you use wave table morphing in ā€œAcidā€ ?

Hope that can happen soon. I know you liked how solid the HS was. Me too, the thing is like a tank.

So the Peak was broken too ? You could write a book with a chapter for every broken synth youā€™ve bought! I know Elektron will send parts, for free or cheap too. Thatā€™s nice. I didnā€™t understand it was a part you wanted from ASM.

Itā€™s not clear to me why Novation can only send parts to the US. Must be some sort of Canadian/International trade restriction deal or something. Could a repair shop near you get the part sent from Novation for you somehow ? :thinking:

No. Itā€™s a replacement. And there would be taxes and duty again.

Itā€™s fine. Iā€™ll wait. Itā€™s definitely useable without the animate button, not really a dominant feature. Iā€™m planning on going back to the US. Surf And golf is better down there :wink:

1 Like

Correct, mine seems to be a mechanical issue and as Murphyā€™s law would have it ā€¦ it seems to be happening less frequently now with use (maybe a loose piece from manufacturing?). I couldnā€™t reproduce the problem when I used it briefly this morning. But, my replacement arrives tomorrow from the dealer (they were kind enough to let me do the return after the new unit arrives). Itā€™s a brilliant piece of gear. Iā€™ve been knocking out new patches faster than any other piece of hardware in quite some time.

1 Like

Did any one of the users here have this bug?
a little video showing the now reproduceable bug (and yes, i did a factory reset and firmware re-update as their support suggested)

Iā€™ll try and check in a bit. Do you have the same issue if you donā€™t latch the note? I feel like I was noticing some weirdness there the other day, but not entirely sure as I went off on some other tangent. Only had it since Wednesday.

Edit: this was supposed to be a reply to @dubmo but I hit the wrong reply button.

I tried a half dozen times on my HSK and could not duplicate.
Could be:

• I am not doing something precisely like you.
  • I didnā€™t try enough, if it is intermittent.
  • Itā€™s only in the HSD.

Or something else.

Good youā€™re starting from the Init patch!

Can you boil it down to some distinct steps ?, as few as possible, like:

• Go to Init Patch.
  • Turn on Note Sustain.
  • Go to Mod-Matrix for LFO2 and Filter 1 using the Module Select Short cut buttons.
  • Change ā€¦

If you can ASM should be able to nail this for the next release. Good that itā€™s not a crash, and that you have a work around.

Being a software devetoper (and at one time a tester) nothing beats being able to reliably reproduce a bug.

Good work.

1 Like