Hydrasynth from ASM

I dislike using a computer for music there’s no fun to be had. I just record stuff to mac and only use it to transfer samples etc.

Exactly- I have produced several ep and album with just a Mac but now I am exploring new opportunities with machines.

I moved from all hardware set-up with a big desk AKAI samplers to only using Reason and now I am back on using hardware.

This is because I spend 8 hours on a PC for work and I don’t have anymore fun using just a laptop like you.

1 Like

Nothing is better for me than having real instruments in front of me ready to tweak. You should buy the Hydra mate you won’t be disappointed

I really love my Hydrasynth desktop but the lack of sequencer is a little disappointing. Would be fantastic if those phrases could be edited on the device using the 8 macro knobs/buttons.

1 Like

Yeah when I first got Hydra I was looking all ways to edit the phrases. Even being able to edit these would be great for me anyways

While i´m having great fun playing the Desktop here, i discovered several latency inducing modules. As known, the arp is introducing latency but also the PW ASM on 100% wet- here 22ms. Are you experience the same? reproduce - simple sawtooth, 100%wet PW ASM, 16th notes with and without mutator…heavy additional 22ms latency during sound design.

Someone else noticing this?

Recently there was discussion here about using polyphonic aftertouch keyboard controllers on the HSD.

Beyond that in the past few days there have been a series of videos showing the HSD controlled through MPE using the Sensel Morph with various overlays.

Sensel Musical Overlays
Sensel Morph Musical Overlays

Just two of the videos:

Sarah Belle Reid using Buchla Thunder overlay

Sonal Systems using a very bendy twin Keyboard overlay with 48 keys

The Sensel Morph is either MIDI USB or Bluetooth MIDI so you need to make that connection . It can run on batteries, so using the HSD on batteries as was suggested a couple days back might be an option.

1 Like

Yes that was my concern

Dumb question. Can the hydra synth acid?

1 Like

For the short time I had mine…it can do pretty sick 303 vibe. It DOES acid. :+1:t6:

Mine, I felt, was faulty. Ultra low volume output and had 0 low end.

on paper it looks an amazing machine, but lack of internal sequencer, lack of midi implementation and several bugs like the ones you mention are not convincing me at all.

I would not buy an Hydra for making acid tbh.

There are better monophonic cheap synths that can do that sound

Let´s talk Hydra Filters!

How do you like them? Which one do you use most and why?
I´m not sure about the sound of the filters. As stimming says in his review: “the filters sound digital” and after playing arount I´m not sure if I like the Sound … especially when I compare to the filter of a Prophet 6 or runing a Modular Digital Oscilator through an analog filter like Belgrad.

But what confuses me alot are the buttons for the filter. Why the hell are there 2 different Buttons to choose? there a are 2 Buttons for the filter knobs and 2 Buttons on the edit Matrix. I mostly press the wrong button / when i press the upper pair of buttons beside the filter knobs it not changes the filter in the edit menu.

The 2 filter buttons on the left hand side on the desktop are just quick buttons to select whether you want to tweak filter 1 or 2.
Quick pressing either gives me control of either filter, it’s a handy feature IMO

I have mine since about 3 hours now.
I too find the filter quite digital. But yeah, it’s a digital synth, sooooo
If I would want an analog sounding filter, I guess I’ve choosen the wrong synth.
Perhaps a peak or something would fit better then.

Filter button 1, 2 next to the filter controls:
You can module select filter 1 and next to the filter controls filter 2. So you can tweak the filters at the same time. One with the master controls, one with the filter controls. What’s bad about this?

2 Likes

yes, that is definitly a good point! And sure this way you can edit cutoff of both filters at the same time.

Let´s say I have filter 1 on the knobs and filter 2 on the control screen. when I want filter 1 on the edit screen I often simply press the filter 1 button next to the filter knobs, but you have to press the filter 1 button on the edit matrix. So you have 2 different button pairs to switch edit functions on the filter and this is confusing to me. I would love have to seen kind of double funktion per button with a button combo. Just pressing the knobs switches filters on the knobs and FUNC+ Button changes filters in the edit menu. So you have 1 button for 1 filter … also known as Elektron workflow :smiley:

Could you be specific with these ? I really don’t know what you are referring to.

I’m just asking if it can acid, I have plenty of synths that can.

As per the filters, I’ve heard demos where the Hydrasynth sounds analog-ish and warm. Maybe, the initial waveforms being used have lots of harsh harmonics?

Yes I believe it can