Hydrasynth from ASM

What is your clock sync set to? (System Setup Page 4, #1) ADDED: You want it set to INT RUN.

Aside from that had it been working and stop, or has it never worked ?

3 Likes

Or Auto

1 Like

Set CLOCK SYNC for whatever you need, all four settings have a use.

AUTO is nice in that, it scans all the possible clock sources looking for a clock signal, and uses that source, or switches to another when that clock source is interrupted, with a priority of USB > DIN MIDI > Internal.

AUTO is NOT nice for the same reason, it scans all the possible clock sources looking for a clock signal, and that can cause unintended surprises.

Personally i always use INT RUN unless i have a specific reason to do something else.

2 Likes

Yeah you should make sure there is only one device sending clock at the same time

Just got the HSK and glad I read this. Although it’s not that uncommon either. Just something to remember. I was pleased that the Save State function they added kept basically everything else I did from my last session besides the Local off.

including Clock Sync, upon whose rocks one can crash, if you remove an external clock source, and fail to change the setting. (Or set it to AUTO and get surprised when it changes the source on its own.)

Congratulations BassesAndPads, on your acquisition. Enjoy the HSK !

I’ve just been messing with Tap Trig set to ON. That’s on Arpeggiator page 2 and sticks with the patch. There’s another example, where you might switch to a patch, and all of a sudden, the arpegiator “is not working.”

Neat feature !

I posted about it over in the Tips and Tricks thread:

ADDED: Adding to the Tap Trig and Theremin combination i described in the Tips and Tricks thread, i now have a variation.

Get an arpeggiator pattern going with a fairly wide sample of notes. Set it to Phrase and pick one you like, let’s say 41. Set the Voice to a Key and Scale of your preference — that controls the chord sounds. Set Tap Trig to ON.

Then set the Ribbon into Theremin mode. Your option how much glide you select. Hold set to OFF. You may choose to Octave Shift the Theremin up a couple of octaves. Then go to Theremin page 2 and select a different Key/Scale combination for the Theremin. That’s right we’re going BIMODAL !

So far, i like using the same Key as the voice, but taking a different Scale. Better to use a Scale with fewer notes, like any labeled “Pentatonic”, or the “In”, or “Insen”. You may get ideas from the Scale Table in the Manual.

Then go back to Ribbon page 1. Stretch your left hand so, your pinky plays the Tap Trig, and your thumb, can control the Theremin Quantize knob to turn it ON and OFF. (It is the same stretch as playing octaves on a standard keyboard, doable.) That allows you to more fluently play the Theremin, moving in and out of harmonies. Reinforcing some chordal notes on the Theremin sounds so good.

Unfortunately the Theremin commands are not in the Mod-Matrix Destinations, so you either play the Quantize knob as described, or work out the NRPN, for external control. You can’t just move it to the expression pedal, or a MIDI CC input.

This technique is something you can pretty quickly learn to be expressive with, with a little practice. Just another piece of alternative technique.

Can anyone elucidate me on what comes out of the pitch cv when using micro tuning scales on the desktop version in arp mode?

For a friend :joy:

gentlemen…

IM BACK

this is a little bitey…a lot bitey. shit playing, not a tune. I was just playing with making sounds.
this poop is Hydra+Peak, Hydra playing Peak at the same time. poly aftertouch…ive missed you.
im just randomly playing shit…

saving pennies here and there, not driving [thank you covid] skipping lunches blah blah blah…I got back in. and I can confirm, this one is better than my first. bass, actually audible volume. :+1:t6:

two things I’ve found with the Hydra tho…
1 - MAKE SURE your USB cable is seated properly. even slightly on an angle going in will introduce noise.
2 - I put a dynamic compressor knocking down some of the mid…and damn. werks for me anyways.

adding this…made this sound real quick, just Hydra. [stoked :slight_smile: ]

full bite mode in effect. [I updated this…think its better :slight_smile: ]

15 Likes

Welcome back sir.

1 Like

one more…

5 Likes

That sounds really good. I need to make a track that’s more centered around the Hydra. I usually have it on pad and effects duties. I’ll have to design some up-front sorts of sounds on it.

2 Likes

Hydra is amazing on leads. I just did a track that I can’t share online yet, but the basic use of the Hydra was it was the lead melody part. If I just played that melody over and over it would have gotten tired after 16 bars, but using the Hydras macros I was able to change the timbre of the sound in many ways outside of just the usual filter/decay/res. So yeah, highly recommend it for leads because you can control the intensity of your track with a good lead and the right macros mapped to the knobs.

4 Likes

Ya…this one I have sounds sick. I was super bummed with the initial one I got.

But listening to stuff I’ve done with it in my car sounds so good. I’m super happy with this thing. Getting what I hoped I was gonna get out of it. That first one was definitely a dud.

If I ever get a freakin job, I hope to pair this thing up with an OB-6. 🥲

1 Like

My Hydrasynth desktop showed up today and my initial thought is that saying “this thing is built very well” is a massive understatement…I read those words so many times when researching this synth and eventually had built up a very high expectation for what would be showing up… I thought I knew what GOOD pots felt like…. I thought my gauge for a ‘top notch build’ was pretty informed and well calibrated. ‘I’ve played around on plenty of different synths, I know where the standard should be set’…… I thought.….And then I heaved the hydrasynth from its box for the first time, turned a single knob, and quite literally laughed out loud at my foolish self.
It was one of those things where I didn’t know enough to know that I didn’t really know much, ya know?
I’ve genuinely never owned anything with this level of care/thought placed into every little detail…
The build quality and component selection are like remnants from a different era. I couldn’t be happier.
Also, these stickers are dope.

Double also, obviously it sounds amazing but I’ll spare everybody here with my “initial thoughts pt.2 (where I finally cleaned up the drool and powered this thing on).”

11 Likes

one feature I wish the Hydra had was…MORE space for presets. I find I’m making so many cool sounds, I wanna have em all on there. its so sick…im getting all kinds of cool shit on this thing :+1:t6:

2 Likes

You’re really cranking ‘em out if you’ve eaten all 640 slots already. I’m with you though you’ve got to use the Patch Manager.

NOTE TO ALL: You probably should save a bank of EMPTY patches into the Patch Manager (along with Factory A, B & C) before you get too far. I’ve stored an empty bank somewhere up thread, but it’s an FAQ.

4 Likes

I haven’t overwritten anything from A B at this point. And I’ve been using the manager to shift shit around. But with this thing we should have banks up to about…I dunno, Z hahahaha.

4 Likes

It’s been around 9 months since I sold my Hydrasynth desktop… I have to say it was the biggest mistake I made (and all over NRPN) lol… well Iv’e decided that at the end of this month I shall order another one and it will be a keeper.
I will program a bank of sounds for this once I get it I may even add the KB version at Christmas.

I still say it’s all @Jukka fault that I’m missing this thing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s funny. I’m planning to get the keys as well. Love my desktop, but I really want the keys as well. I’ll probably have to wait until December also (bonuses at work). I distilled my setup so much, that I don’t have anything expendable to sell in order to pick one up. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi rob_lee — Good to see you here again.

I remember it seemed like it was practically the same week you sold yours (to Peter wasn’t it?) that ASM announced the firmware update 1.5 where they added the Macro controls as destinations for the Mod_Matrix. I remember thinking that would fix rob_lee’s problem — NRPN can definitely be a challenge in some situations, though it has it’s advantages.

Well now you’ll really know what you’re buying, that’s always a hard thing to do.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: We’ll see what wonderful new synth gets announced the week after your new HS arrives. Maybe even something new from ASM ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Time to time i imagine the new ASM product.

1 Like