Hydrasynth from ASM

Can anyone elucidate me on what comes out of the pitch cv when using micro tuning scales on the desktop version in arp mode?

For a friend :joy:

gentlemenā€¦

IM BACK

this is a little biteyā€¦a lot bitey. shit playing, not a tune. I was just playing with making sounds.
this poop is Hydra+Peak, Hydra playing Peak at the same time. poly aftertouchā€¦ive missed you.
im just randomly playing shitā€¦

saving pennies here and there, not driving [thank you covid] skipping lunches blah blah blahā€¦I got back in. and I can confirm, this one is better than my first. bass, actually audible volume. :+1:t6:

two things Iā€™ve found with the Hydra thoā€¦
1 - MAKE SURE your USB cable is seated properly. even slightly on an angle going in will introduce noise.
2 - I put a dynamic compressor knocking down some of the midā€¦and damn. werks for me anyways.

adding thisā€¦made this sound real quick, just Hydra. [stoked :slight_smile: ]

full bite mode in effect. [I updated thisā€¦think its better :slight_smile: ]

15 Likes

Welcome back sir.

1 Like

one moreā€¦

5 Likes

That sounds really good. I need to make a track thatā€™s more centered around the Hydra. I usually have it on pad and effects duties. Iā€™ll have to design some up-front sorts of sounds on it.

2 Likes

Hydra is amazing on leads. I just did a track that I canā€™t share online yet, but the basic use of the Hydra was it was the lead melody part. If I just played that melody over and over it would have gotten tired after 16 bars, but using the Hydras macros I was able to change the timbre of the sound in many ways outside of just the usual filter/decay/res. So yeah, highly recommend it for leads because you can control the intensity of your track with a good lead and the right macros mapped to the knobs.

4 Likes

Yaā€¦this one I have sounds sick. I was super bummed with the initial one I got.

But listening to stuff Iā€™ve done with it in my car sounds so good. Iā€™m super happy with this thing. Getting what I hoped I was gonna get out of it. That first one was definitely a dud.

If I ever get a freakin job, I hope to pair this thing up with an OB-6. šŸ„²

1 Like

My Hydrasynth desktop showed up today and my initial thought is that saying ā€œthis thing is built very wellā€ is a massive understatementā€¦I read those words so many times when researching this synth and eventually had built up a very high expectation for what would be showing upā€¦ I thought I knew what GOOD pots felt likeā€¦. I thought my gauge for a ā€˜top notch buildā€™ was pretty informed and well calibrated. ā€˜Iā€™ve played around on plenty of different synths, I know where the standard should be setā€™ā€¦ā€¦ I thought.ā€¦.And then I heaved the hydrasynth from its box for the first time, turned a single knob, and quite literally laughed out loud at my foolish self.
It was one of those things where I didnā€™t know enough to know that I didnā€™t really know much, ya know?
Iā€™ve genuinely never owned anything with this level of care/thought placed into every little detailā€¦
The build quality and component selection are like remnants from a different era. I couldnā€™t be happier.
Also, these stickers are dope.

Double also, obviously it sounds amazing but Iā€™ll spare everybody here with my ā€œinitial thoughts pt.2 (where I finally cleaned up the drool and powered this thing on).ā€

11 Likes

one feature I wish the Hydra had wasā€¦MORE space for presets. I find Iā€™m making so many cool sounds, I wanna have em all on there. its so sickā€¦im getting all kinds of cool shit on this thing :+1:t6:

2 Likes

Youā€™re really cranking ā€˜em out if youā€™ve eaten all 640 slots already. Iā€™m with you though youā€™ve got to use the Patch Manager.

NOTE TO ALL: You probably should save a bank of EMPTY patches into the Patch Manager (along with Factory A, B & C) before you get too far. Iā€™ve stored an empty bank somewhere up thread, but itā€™s an FAQ.

4 Likes

I havenā€™t overwritten anything from A B at this point. And Iā€™ve been using the manager to shift shit around. But with this thing we should have banks up to aboutā€¦I dunno, Z hahahaha.

4 Likes

Itā€™s been around 9 months since I sold my Hydrasynth desktopā€¦ I have to say it was the biggest mistake I made (and all over NRPN) lolā€¦ well Ivā€™e decided that at the end of this month I shall order another one and it will be a keeper.
I will program a bank of sounds for this once I get it I may even add the KB version at Christmas.

I still say itā€™s all @Jukka fault that Iā€™m missing this thing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s funny. Iā€™m planning to get the keys as well. Love my desktop, but I really want the keys as well. Iā€™ll probably have to wait until December also (bonuses at work). I distilled my setup so much, that I donā€™t have anything expendable to sell in order to pick one up. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi rob_lee ā€” Good to see you here again.

I remember it seemed like it was practically the same week you sold yours (to Peter wasnā€™t it?) that ASM announced the firmware update 1.5 where they added the Macro controls as destinations for the Mod_Matrix. I remember thinking that would fix rob_leeā€™s problem ā€” NRPN can definitely be a challenge in some situations, though it has itā€™s advantages.

Well now youā€™ll really know what youā€™re buying, thatā€™s always a hard thing to do.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Weā€™ll see what wonderful new synth gets announced the week after your new HS arrives. Maybe even something new from ASM ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Time to time i imagine the new ASM product.

1 Like

Yeah I sold it after a week, not fair really I should have gave it a chance. The sound of the synth itself knocked me for six itā€™s amazing. Iā€™m scaling down on gear here and Hydrasynth is just too good not to have. I have a Faderfox EC4 here works no problem with NPRPN on my DSI Mopho but it doesnā€™t matter I always regretted selling the Hydrasynth desktop Jukka. Iā€™ll definitely end up with both the desktop and keyboard at some point this year but first I will get the desktop end of this month.
I will probably make a sound bank for it as other projects are done for now.

One thing i like is how easy it is to modify an existing patch to specially adapt it to some specific need. You can usually add stuff around the outside to the Mod-Matrix or Macro controls to customize things in a way that works that little bit better for you. Of course as phaelam is finding too, you can make new patches forever, iā€™m always wonder when is enough ?

1 Like

Just found a desktop for Ā£719 gbp I will grab it if some of my stuff sells on here Jukka

1 Like

Ouchā€¦:joy:

1 Like

I re-got the keys. Kept eyeing the desktop, but PolyAfter Tā€™s with the keys werks so well with other stuff, I had to. It takes the Peak from sweet, to super sweet.

I think the extra buckers for the keys is worth it.

1 Like

PT = Polyphonic Aftertouch?