“Hybrid synth“ using AH and Keystep

@sezare56 asked an example when I talked about this setup. Basically, I use the gate output of my Arturia Keystep to trigger the enveloppe of the Analog Heat and send MIDI notes to whatever digital synth I have, making it a paraphonic hybrid synth.
Here are two videos I made with my Digitone using the MIDI DIN output of the Keystep. Note that I used as well the MIDI USB with an OP-Z and it worked nicely.

4 Likes

Thanks! I can’t hear it tonight…
I used midi to trigger env / lfo, but it wasn’t precise. So you used Trigger Threshold as CV DEST and negative depth?

1 Like

You could key track the filter too… :grin:

I do this with my AK and iOS apps
Animoog-iPhone->AK trk 1 osc1 L, osc 2 R -> and then I don’t even put it into midi mode just play the envelope and the keys trigger the Omni channel setting for the app.

2 Likes

No I configured the control input as footswitch. Here you have less destination options* but you can find Env Trig. This will force trigger whatever threshold is set. Only the mode of the envelope follower is taken into account, no matter the gain. In the first video it’s set in AD (attack decay) so only the start of the gate is used, and in the second video it’s set on AR (attack release) using start and end of the gate.
Then in these videos the envelope is just set as positive modulation on the filter.

*About these footswitch destinations, I believe the AH is the only Elektron machine with the possibility of an external tap tempo. So I’m thinking OT midi slaved to “tap tempo’ed” AH to use OT as flex based looper.

3 Likes

Works better for me with A4!
If I have to use it’s CV to control AH, maybe I’d use it instead.

Ah ! Didn’t find it! Wich OS?

I have Trig Level only… :thinking:

Currently in 1.11 beta3 :slight_smile:

Not in the modulation section. Directly where you choose the type of control input expr/cv/footswitch

1 Like

I didn’t see Env Trig in that section.
Maybe I have to upgrade, or wait for the next OS. I don’t use Overbridge.

That’s one of the first thing I wanted to do with AH, found workarounds with OT and midi but not practical.

1 Like

@qlamerand I finally found Env Trig in the Footswitch mode, but I can’t make it work.
I used a footswitch, it works with Active on/off, but it doesn’t trig the envelope.
I used AD and AR…I can trigger envelope changing threshold manually…

Hmm weird. Let me check after diner and I’ll get back to you.

1 Like

I could control the on/off state of the footswitch with an audio square wav with OT!
Still no envelope triggering. :slightly_frowning_face:
Works with presets and Active on/off so the footswitch function works.

image I don’t remember how it is on the mk1 but is there a small icon on top right (i really don’t understand what it represents :D) when a trigger happens.

Yes indeed. It doesn’t happen for me. :thinking:

List of changes from OS 1.02 to 1.10
Bug fixes
A footswitch could not trigger the envelope.
CV and pedal levels that are above the configured Max level did not clip.

:wink:

1 Like

Ha! Ok then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ugrade done. I could trigger it with a square impulse with OT, but it is not constant, sometimes it is doubled, sometimes it is late.
What about you?
What are Keystep’s CVs specs, voltage etc…?

Great. I’ll check tomorrow but it’s probably 5V. You could use a Bastl Klik to level your audio signal to a correct voltage. I have one and will try to make a test tomorrow as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Env Trig works like a charm with A4. But in that case I’d rather use the A4 directly!
I have to sequence that heat for drums!
It kind of worked with midi CC16 Trigger Threshold but there is latency, and sometimes it doesn’t work.