How to quickly turn OT into TR-8s?

I think it I’d start by

-Creating a project
-Load 8 flex machines
-browse through the factory samples and find some drum hits to load to the machines
-make some patterns
-have fun
-add scenes
-have more fun

I don’t want to be a RTFM guy but it would help immensely to RTM to learn how to do the above, if something doesn’t make sense ask us…

After that you can go deeper by loading your own samples and or chains…
Then go deeper…
Then deeper, etc.
:smile:

3 Likes

Thanks lads, that’s fucking wild, what a concept. I was up till 9am fiddling with the machine. Thanks to the amazing community I could wrap my head around most of OT concepts, build my drum kits as project template and even wrote a drum machine part, did a thru processing and recording. And on my second day, I will be getting stuck into chains and slices! I am so happy, I have found a home and a very efficient way to compose the rhythm track. Happy!

7 Likes

This sheds a lot of light on the landscape. Thanks Mike!

1 Like

Adding scenes and the arranger next! :scream: :poop:

1 Like

There’s no bottom to the abyss…
Be safe, journey well… :rofl:

2 Likes

Ooopp… He/she? (it :joy:) was ready after all… Hard to tell sometimes… :smile:

Sometimes learning to walk is quickly followed by flying the plane!

1 Like

I also made some chains today and finally updated the OS with conditional trigs–it was a load of fun.

Putting down hi hat trigs and sending a hold LFO to the start point? Wowee. Watch your hat come alive, baby. Then a conditional trig set for a nice little fill at the end of eight bars? Give it to me

1 Like

did all my chains in ableton.
I knew there is octachainer but never tried it.
Looks pretty convenient

Wow, I just applied your recipe to the hats.
the video is in the post but pisstagram won’t let me embed it. boo.

2 Likes

Haha good job dude. You’re well on your way. You should partake in the Octatrack science labs, you’ll learn a lot (by getting stuck and overcoming, that is :p)

Sell the octa, buy a TR-8s.
If it has to happen quickly, set your sale price low (ps I’m interested)

1 Like

You can create and resample your sample chains in OT.
64 steps of drums, slow tempo (or lower scale setup division).
Use 1 trig lasting several steps for long sounds. Remove the concerned slices after aplying the 64 slices grid.

hahahah too, late, thanks to these gents, I cracked it and I absolutely love this machine and its intuitive headfuck.
Getting results. Although, haven’t yet loaded the Octachain.

There is a snippet of 1 bar making use of conditional trigs and scenes, I can’t believe I have gotten this far after a day.

2 Likes

Your actually among the top if not the fastest accelerating beginner OT user I’ve ever “scene” thats started with questions here on the forum… :smiley: Look out for this one! :joy:
Cooking with gas! :smile:

3 Likes

I am honoured and surprised!
Thanks for your help :clap:

1 Like

with 4 parts per bank you could have 4x16 per project. (so that’s 64 “parts” per project.)

if you were just doing 8 different drum hits per part (like T1 = kick, T2=snare, etc…) you could have 64 kits per project. here each part can be a “KIT”

BUT… (and this is a big ol’ booty!!):

You could do sample chains on a per track basis, too. So, 8x sample chains per part. (and slice them)

Now you’re getting into exponential kits.

If you had only 10 kicks, 10 snares, etc, per sample chain, multiplied by 8 tracks, you could have up to 800 variations of kits per part to choose from and use the patterns within each bank to create KITS via slices. Pattern one, for instance, plays SLICE 1 from each chain, pattern 2 plays slice 2, and so on… So you could have 16 kits stored per part. A hybrid pattern-kit could play T1 slice 1, T2 slice 9, T3 slice 4 or whatever.

i believe what i just said is all true. im going to wrap my head around what i just typed for a second. I got sweaty thinking that through.

edit: i suppose this is totally beyond the ‘how to turn OT into a TR-8’ scope. this was more of a ‘how-to-create-a-giant-drum-kit-monster’

…and am i right on the 800? oh jeez. i’m not deleting this until i try and fail to create this beast.

You might run short in memory though

1 Like

true dat!

i want to create what i just typed up and see what happens. i need more time!!!

1 Like

Keep us updated. I, for one, am enjoying this thread :wink: