Does anyone know if there’s a way to undo an accidental flag? Asking for a friend who was trying to bookmark on a very bumpy train ![]()
I got it.
I’m trying to follow this guidance and end up with a URL like this:
However, it still just renders as the URL and not the embedded player. The track is public.
I think you have a space after the link.
Thank you.
How do I link to a category showing that neat little icon?
like @jemmons did here:
Type a # immediately followed by “elektronauts:science-lab” without the quotes, same for “the-lounge:mission-briefs”.
Removing trackers is a solid tip. It’s a simple way to keep things a bit more private when sharing content with the community.
Same goes for any time you list a link to a product on a online retailer’s page, especially places like Amazon.
I don’t mean to single anyone out, but as an example look at the second post in this thread. That one is like fourteen lines long on my phone screen.
As a general rule you can strip out everything after the first question mark ( “?” ) in the link, including the question mark, and the link will still work. I test my work when doing this but it seems to work in general.
I sometimes wonder if links get left in this forum to track, and perhaps take commissions ? ( That’s done other places, right ? )
If i could add for folks’ (and my) future reference: I just found that
Youtube . Com / Shorts / ID = displays link that works but won’t embed
Youtube . Com / ID = breaks the link to the Short
Youtu . Be / ID = properly embeds the Short
Indeed.
I don’t know how many URLs I have rewritten to this day ![]()
For others reading here the “ID” is the jumble of letters, digits, and symbols ( i believe its 11 Base64 Base64URL digits ), that is payload in a YouTube address. You have to find it, as it is sometimes followed by other ( discardable ) gobbledygook.
They look like these sorts of things :
ifpYE2ujBc0
J-aX-HMNH3Q
EDG-1wBoJFQ
It’s too bad the discourse software isn’t a little more intelligent about decoding various addresses, though i am thankful for what it does do.
ADDED :
This all also applies to “Live” versions of a YT video.
edit for future me: the link will look like just giant album art in the preview, but when you post it’ll be the player as long as you used the direct link and not the embed functionality.
What am I missing with bandcamp links? I copy/paste the link directly from my browser and it posts a giant image of the album cover instead of a player. I’ve tried every share function as well - did they change something or am I just bad at this?
You should be able to mute categories with the bell under your avatar at the category page:
I am not a moderator anymore ![]()
I underline this cause some people still ask me things…
You check who is a moderator here:
https://www.elektronauts.com/about
It must be weird, in a way, to have lost your super powers, cancelled as it were. You can’t do things like this on your own any more :
You went away on vacation ( hope you had a great one ! ) and you come back a mere mortal.
I think it’s more “lifting weight of his shoulders” then “loosing superpowers”.
Glad i’m not a mod, i’d be throwing lighning bolts all the time, but all i have in that department, is using my Ignore and Mute powers ( as well as fancy text formatting tricks ), which keep me sane – bringing this back to topic.
not being a mod
Yeah, I have to refrain editing YT shorts links, check flagged posts, access profiles, this kind of things ![]()
But yeah, it’s more a weight out of my shoulders, to be frank.
Worst thing is knowing AV’s load has doubled, I emphasize.
Now let’s make sure we don’t add to their load by getting this discussion back on track.
what can't be said
Yeah mod powers are also part of Discourse – we just can’t be giving tips on their use here.
