How to cv control minitaur?

^ that

annoying…guess I’m used to it now though…I think mine always boots up in G1 so everything is transposed…obviously, if I’m sending notes it straightens itself out but otherwise I send it a C0 as well and then hit it with other sequencers

you may initially have to run the CV tuning too, MOOG support will send you the files for that

One more thing…

I believe you have to be careful not shorting one of the CV channel as they are are combined in “stereo”. I do use stereo splitters (to two mono) because of this. That way I’m sure the other output is not shorted. Maybe not important if the adjacent channel is set to “ground” but who knows.

LA

1 Like

Okay well I’m facing the same problem again today. I woke up, turned my gear on and the Minitaur isn’t working properly… Ugh, I only have CV gate/pitch connected to CV A/B

Humm, just realized that I never keep the CVs connected between the A4 and the moog when I’m not using it. Maybe that’s why I never ran into such problem…?

LA

Don’t think it’s a connection issue. I have gate and pitch cv connected at all times. However, I’m not connecting them to an A4.

i have a post here in elektronauts asking about my ms20mini and analog four cv/gate connection . Perhaps it can help you. I have a video showing my cv/gate configuration . My config of course is different because ms20 mini is a bit “special” to connect. But your moog should be “easier to connect” than my ms20. See the video i upload in this post :

1 Like

an even better question is how do i determine these values for any cv connected synth? (I also have a werkstatt)

First of all, the manual for calibrating CV is wrong – it describes how it used to work a few months ago and it changed in an OS update. To calibrate nowdays:

[ul]
[li]Plug in the pitch and trig CVs, and make sure the trig CV is at least doing something (sounds like you got that far). [/li]
[li]You need to select two notes as a reference – let’s say C2 and C4. Press C2 on the keyboard that’s attached to the Minitaur (I’ll explain why later) and make sure you’re actually getting C2 (you do have a tuner hooked up to the Minitaur, right?[/li]
[li]On the A4, select C2 as the first note, go to the note voltage and hold down “Yes.” A tone should play. Dial in C2, checking the tuner. Should be pretty close to zero volts.[/li]
[li]Once it’s dialed in, set the second note to C4 and do the same thing with the second voltage. We’re using V/Oct, so going 2 octaves up should translate to somewhere around 2.000 Volts.[/li]
[/ul]

That should do the trick. One thing to note: I don’t have a 'taur, but on my Microbrute the CV in is actually an offset to whatever note I played last on the 'brute’s keyboard. This is why I have to start by playing C2 on the Brute, as the A4’s CV just adds to or subtracts from whatever voltage the Microbrute was last playing. Annoying but it does make transposing up or down an octave easy – just hit a key on the Brute’s keyboard.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. Followed the steps and can’t seem to get the minitaur to to stay in tune across the keyboard. Just found another thread about others having the same issue. Worked great for the werkstatt though. Another question I have is what to set the gate voltage to? Just till you hear the notes at full volume?

Minitaur is notorious for needing initial calibration. It’s an extremely simple process though. Email Moog support and they will send you the files/instructions.

Think so, yeah. All it is is a signal to tell it “okay hold a note down.”
If I’m not mistaken (and I remember Gordon Reid’s Synth Secrets right) keyboards are supposed to send three CVs: one for pitch, one for the trigger (“start a note”), and one for gate (“okay hold a note”). I think what you want to send from the A4 is the pitch and the trigger, then the A4’s envelope or the one on the Minitaur serves as volume – not sure if that ends up being the actual gate or not.

1 Like
  • dumbledog.
    The brute is a little annoying that it does this. Arturia call it “absolute mode” ???
    Have moved brutes (got both) to midi. Much better.

• rgraphic. -
    The minitaur will take a bit of rooting around to get right but, once its done, its done. Worth every minute.
    I didnt have to recalibrate mine and it has worked via cv with every os update on A4 and MT.

Dumbledogs technique description is solid and should yeild results.

Good luck. I think it is a fitting “fifth voice”.

Cheers

1 Like

had this ordeal last week.

latest minitaur OS and latest Minitaur Editor.
In the Editor settings you can play around with CV Pitch but that didn’t work so well, I simply couldn’t get that f@k3r to go 1v=c1 and 4v=c4. Amos from moog even provides two little syx files in the moog forum to dump to the minitaur via a sysex librarian.
I restored the default cv mapping in the minitaur editor and tuned 2 C’s that I called C4 and C5 as I play a qunexus through the A4 and it can’t go down to -5 as the A4 keyboard and I mostly want the c1 earthquake range.

I set C4 to 2.570v since 3v were a few semitones off
and C5 to 3.670v.

So in my case it was not really 1v per octave but 1.1v. Don’t know if other units behave the same.
Midi tuning is spot on through all the octaves

2 Likes

Thanks guys, I’ll give it another try tonight. So, with my current set up I have midi keyboard going into A4, midi out going to clocking the rytm. With this set up there is no way of just getting midi note info to the minitaur without additional equipment right?

Maybe the MIDI Thru jack? Haven’t tried it but I thoguht that’s what it was for.

And let us know how it turns out. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a Minitaur or filter Fooger next month myself.

I just realized midi cant be sequenced, only CV so i guess im forced to figure the cv side out. I downloaded the sysex files for tuning the minitaur. I’m always apprehensive using sysex though. I was trying to get away from the computer and i’m right back in it! :neutral_face:

once the Minitaur is calibrated with the files from Moog it doesn’t have to be done again, it is a very simple process

not sure what you mean by midi can’t be sequenced…I sequence my Minitaur with midi and CV

didn’t work for me, 1v was definately not c1 afterwards

I’m in the same boat. no matter how many times i try the notes don’t map out correct to the keyboard. C always shows as G sharp perfectly in tune and the rest of the notes are off. plug in midi keyboard direct and its perfect (obviously)

I meant the sequencer of the A4 can’t be used to sequence the Minituar via midi. I was trying to think of ways to avoid using cv since it isn’t working out so well.