How to cv control minitaur?

So mine is finally set and scaled perfect to the keyboard, matching midi perfect. My settings are-

note 1 C2 .353v

note 2 C4 2.344v

I thought its supposed to be very close to 1v per octave?

as I wrote above mine was even .100v off over one octave. read somewhere on the moog forum that the older minitaur units were a bit more wonky with their CVs. Bought mine right when it came out. the first few firmware revisions had ultra annoying bugs like osc mix not working when CV inputs were used and other stuff.

but when the minitaur is up and running you got the whole bass range covered, I killed one HS80m speaker cone with low OSC beating and I burned through an 18" sub because there is so much going on below 100hz.

2 Likes

Yeah, thanks for writing that up. I kinda felt like I was going to mess something up working with CV for the first time and cranking voltages around. I tried going by a single octave spread like your settings but it still wasnt accurate. only going at least 2 made the tuning across the keys spot on. So glad its working. The sound is just unbelievable. There is truly not a bad sound that comes out of the minitaur! Now my werkstatt isnt communicating right in regards to ocatves over cv so im starting all over again with that and finding the sweet spot.

good luck!

next up here is my 5u modular

Iā€™ve tried all the set up from the manual nothing work please help

We canā€™t help you if you donā€™t bother to give us any information.
What happened, step-by-step, when you followed the setup example on pages 62 and 63 of the manual?

I can tell you how i have mine hooked up.

you will need a Y cable to split the ring/sleeve of the CV output on the back of the A4. for example ā€œCV ABā€

This split cable will then become the v/oct and gate

1.Press the ā€œCVā€ a couple of times to make sure you are on that track

2.then press func+CVA (OSC 1,Ext in)
this is where you will set the perimeters for CV-A

3.Under type select ā€œPitch v/octā€

for Note one try ā€œC2ā€
for voltage one try ā€œ.353ā€

then scroll down and further and enter

Note 2 ā€œC4ā€
and voltage 2 ā€œ2.344ā€

CV A should be set now

4.next press func+CVB

For type select ā€œgateā€
polarity select ā€œv-trigā€

Level select ā€œ5.0 vā€

1. Make sure your CV connections are set to the ā€œtipā€ for CVA and to ā€œsleeveā€ of CVB.

CVA (the sleeve side of the y cable) will go to the pitch cv input of your minitaur and the CVB will go to the gate input.

Try playing the keyboard when having the CV track selected. Anything coming out? It may be out of tune as i think all of the machines vary a little in the tuning specs but the above settings worked for me.

*on my cable splitter that is black to pitch and red to gate

I may be missing something but the manual and other threads can help fill in the blanks. (iā€™ll try to edit this post as i think of things Iā€™m missing)

3 Likes

Hi thx for the reply,

I finally worked out something! I donā€™t have any Y cable so i set up this only with balanced jack cables.

I put the output of the MINI to the input left of the A4
Selected track 4 and as osc 1 WAV i selected IN L

For the CV AB i put one jack to the Gate of the MINI
i went to CV A selected gate, 5.0 V to trk 4
Grounded on CV B

For the CV CD i put on jack to the PITCH of the MINI
i went to CV C selected PITCHV/oct and i put your set up ā€œRgraphicā€ to trk4
Grounded on CV D

Thatā€™s the only way i finally got sound but the level is quite low even that iā€™m max level on both devices.
I would like to control the entire MINITAUR through my A4 so i can go to my track 4 for example and just play or sequence stuff from it + parameter lock and do some changement live on the actual MINITAUR.

I do it on track 4 because for some reason even with the same set up i tried on track 2 it doesnā€™t work dunno whyā€¦

I would be extremely thanksful to the person who could answer this :

I manage to have my minitaur playing in tune via CV.

The problem is that I have to send it the lowest C possible via midi EACH TIME I turn it on, and then plug the CV pitch cable.

Otherwise I get a Ab instead of a C, and itā€™s transposed that way accross the whole range, except for the 2 higher notes, where it suddenly goes down one octave.

Really strangeā€¦I am using this setup on stage very often, and it would be really cool to at least understand whatā€™s happening.

Thanks!

hi guys I have a similar problem:
i send gate and pitch from the a4 to the minitaur
sometimes the minitaur plays, sometimes it doesnā€™tā€¦

I think the problem is the Minitaur. I donā€™t have one, the only reason I think so is because I have a DOM 1 connected to
my A4 and I never had this problem - not even if Iā€™ve disconnected the CV-cables or after a few days. I do have to wait at least 15 minutes to let the DOM 1 warm-up - and depending the themperature of my caravan I have to retune the DOM 1 a little. In my logic :confused: this problem would have to reproduce itself with every synth connected if it 's at the A4 - level.
CV - settings are saved at KIT-Level so you have to make shure to copy and save them for every new KIT U use.

1 Like

So, whatā€™s the verdict on the Minitaur w/ A4?
Reliable?

Iā€™ve seen a few odd threads about tuning difficulties, but once it is finally set up, is it set for good?

Iā€™m interested in using it with A4ā€™s CV track, and switching presets via iPhone TB MIDI Stuff app. But only if the setup is reliable and easily repeatable for gigs.
Otherwise, Iā€™ll shop around for a Pulse+ and deal with its limited 40 patch memories.

1 Like

Thanks, both vos and avantronica, coincidentally two of my favorite contributors here.

I reckon going back to a Nord Drum for A4ā€™s CV triggers is my best bet for A4 sequencer expansion. Never had issues with A4 sending triggers to drum modules.

A4 wouldnā€™t be the weak link in that combo w P+ ā€¦
Just rigged it up - it indeed glides chromatically !
Used slide on my SQ1 and compared Dark Energy to Pulse+
The DE will slideā€™nā€™glide :+1:
The Pulse takes the stairs ! :-1: - but boy it sounds mighty, real and in-yer-face - amazing OSC/Filter :imp: (always, erm, in tune too, hmm)

1 Like

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood your earlier post.

Just rigged it up - it indeed glides chromatically !
Used slide on my SQ1 and compared Dark Energy to Pulse+
The DE will slideā€™nā€™glide :+1:
The Pulse takes the stairs ! :-1: - but boy it sounds mighty, real and in-yer-face - amazing OSC/Filter :imp: (always, erm, in tune too, hmm)

I donā€™t do much slide programming, but that is good to know.
ā€¦well, then itā€™s back to the land of wonder and too many options for meā€¦

You made my day. It works. Only five minutes into doing it, but hopefully it stays that way.
At first it didnā€™t work with those settings, but then I used the standalone editor and note calibration start. Once that was done it was good to go.
I did tweak it a tiny bit to .355v and 2.355v respectively playing with the tuner, but more or less the same and I may even tweak that some more.
Thanks again.

I alsohave similar problems wit Slim Phatty. will try the trick with sending C note to the phatty with a midi keyboard

1 Like

When i press ā€œYESā€ nothing is happened.
I am on 1.22.

I just make it work right, and here my solution.
A4 ā€“ 1.22
Minitaur ā€“ 2.1.1
Minitaur Editor ā€“ 3.0.4

First of all plug USB, connect to Minitaur editor and push ā€œNote calibration startā€.
After calibration, push ā€œRestore Default CV Calibrationā€.
Then connect GATE and PITCH CV with A4 CV OUTS.
Next step is open A4 CV configuration, in which you connect Minitaur PITCH CV.

Here what you need:
Type ā€“ PITCH V/oct
Note 1 ā€“ E1
Voltage 1 ā€“ 1.000V
Note 2 ā€“ E4
Voltage 2 ā€“ 4.000V
ā€œEā€ because my Minitaur is out of tune and need to compensate it.
I donā€™t know why my Minitaur is out of tune, but i read many topics where users have the same problem.

Next step is open A4 CV track and down the octave to Š”1(-3), play it, as you can see on tuner, itā€™s G# note.
Next go to Minitaur editor, and hold ā€œPitch CV calibration +1Vā€, play C1 note, on A4. Release it.
Then up to C4(0), hold ā€œPitch CV calibration +4Vā€, and play C4 note.
Calibration is over and as you can see on tuner, all C notes are G#.
This is the way how to fix it.
Go to CV configuration, and change E1 and E4 to C1 and C4. Check tuner and play some notes, they must be correct.

2 Likes

ā€œYesā€ doesnā€™t preview any notes for me either on 1.22

4:20 :slight_smile: - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlgyZFdCifw

Cenk talks through a tuning method on the A4.