How to crossfade a loop

(I apologize for asking a question that has doubtless been asked and answered many times before, but this forum’s search function remains a bit opaque.)

I recently picked up my Octatrack again, after a couple of years away. . .

What is the current fastest workflow for crossfading a looped sample?

I was surprised, upon installing the latest OS, to discover that the machine still does not offer “CROSSFADE SELECTION” under the EDIT menu.

That would be a nice feature. Fast Tracker II had that around 1996 (?) so it shouldn’t be too hard to implement :slight_smile:

I can’t think of any other way of doing it on the OT than to “manually” overlap and fade 2 instances of the same sample, and then resample the result.

three years later and still not the basic sample-tools in a device which is very complex and can all in other ways? no loop-crossfade? the attack and release cant solve loopclicks - so sad. so we have to do all that before loading samples on the card in wavelab, ableton or soundforge? very annoying - I bought the octa for getting away from my computer…

btw: there crossfades - but only for sliced drumloops. with ambient-pads this wont work :-/

are the loopermachines already implemented - cant find them - maybe under other name?

By crossfade are we talking smoothed out loop points to avoid clicks? My mind goes to mixing with the crossfader…

If so the loop machines are pickup machines and they employ fades differently than the recorder buffers. I use them all the time with fin and fout at the very minimum non 0 setting and don’t get clicks…

Also you can apply fades in the audio editor for pre recorded material…

It annoyed me when crossfade looping wasn’t on the MPC live but it never really felt like a glaring omission with OT. Due to how you work with the machine I’m really not sure how it would even be implemented on it. If I ever need that I prepare my samples elsewhere like DAW/mpc1k/beatmaker 3. Im sure there’s some crafty way you could simulate crossfade looping and resampling on OT but why not take the path of least resistance

Also loop machines are called pickup machines if that’s what you’re asking at the end

Once I succeeded to make a crossfade with 2 recorders and 2 tracks with slides on vol. PITA!

crazy workarounds for basic functions? no thx :wink:

What exactly is this kind of crossfade? Not the same as PU fin fout or audio editor fades?

nope - in EDIT fade-in and fade-out is not what I mean. crossfades in samples takes a little from the sample-beginning and a little from the end and do a x-fade between them. with that you have very smooth loops… every old emu-/akai-sampler can do that.

1 Like

I think the Pickup Looper machines do this with loops you record from them, unless I’m still confused…

yeah - the pickup machines seems to to the right thing. but why is this function limited to a pure live-feature and not axisting for samples from the card. very annoying :-/

maybe this helps you to understand:

1 Like

Are you recording with the OT? The FOUT / IN seem to work fine…

If not, and preloaded loops, my contention is that the OT is locating zero points at ONE of the stereo channel and leaving the other channels offset in tact.

Preparing in the computer is a small price to pay for clickless loops.

You could resample the loop in the OT with the Fade parameters?

I agree though, my SP303 doesn’t have an issue with this.

yes, I could - but its a big workaround for a basic-sampler-feature which should be possible for “none” live recorded samples also :-/

Yes I think crossfade works with Pickups, not with Flex. Beware of the curves. Shortest values for FIN FOUT seem the best.

1 Like

Octatrack is bad for basic things, but does incredible things that basic samplers can’t do. :slight_smile:
I bought again a Mpc (500) and a Rc202 looper but I don’t use them ! :smile:

1 Like

yeah - bought a whole oldschool-studio but all is so slow, so many cables and space is needed. I also bought my old friend - the emu E64 again (did three cd-releases in the 90s with him) and pimped him with sd-card, silent fan, etc. - but scsi is still very slow with sd-cards - so it annoys me. Then I bought the digitakt was blown away by its build-quality and features but after some days its much to limited for me (I need at least stereo-samples and cf-card-slot - the 1gb +drive is a joke) - so I send the digi back and ordered the octa. but it seems there is no REAL modern sampler out there. an hour ago I get into another annoying thing on the octa - there are no track mutes in pattern. wtf? such a genius feature in the little digitakt and not possible in the octa? there you see how old the system and structure of the octa is. there are a lot lof little things people ask for - but elektron seems to be deaf. in the end every interest for the octa should really ask himself if he needs all this live-performing stuff or a real sampler-“instrument”. the octa can of course replace a laptop with daw and a little mixer - two things I really use and the octa should become my central-place in studio with two or three other synths…all fine. and keep me right: I dont want things like “multisample-instruments” on the octa - but those limitations to basic sampler editing-tools is really sad. I think they will not change or bring such things as new features to the mk2. maybe they plan a mk3 for 2019 which really makes up to be a “real” sampler. have to think about all this - maybe the octa has also too much limits for my desires…

If you want to sell the little mpc in the future drop me a line, please. It is battery powered isn’t it?Might be a nice :gift: for a big kiddo in a few months.

Still a keeper for me and OT!

For you? :smile:
I don’t want to sell it. I’ve got some plans for it, such as linear CC recording for OT’s crossfader automating, polyphony, midi overdub, play a nice Rhodes kit, play it randomly with OT’s arps like here with Indian kit.

2 Likes

Nice! Good plans, so in good hands.
no not for me, I will go for an OTmk1 or DT soonish, probably wait until after Superbooth to make a move in that direction. Also looking for a simple looper rc505 or ehx or if that new Nectar Pacer thing does wonders for OT/ipad/ableton i might jump that train. luxury problems we have :wink:

1 Like

This is probably really dumb. But as you can crossfade in a few seconds in Able ton or most Daws. Could you export the loops and crossfade them there. Then re -import to the OT on a seperate track. So you could then do your stuff? Forget this if its crap as im new to the OT.

2 Likes