How to crossfade a loop

Check out the insanely powerful Arranger.

Haven’t heard that one before.

Yeah that’s the most simple fastest solution, people just can’t stand briefly using computers for some reason :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

arranger mode is fine but a not nessecary step out of the workflow with “pattern track mutes” like in the digitakt. they should easily add this to the octa and make it their flagship again :wink:

the octa is “heavily” limited when you came from classic samplers: voices, polyphonic play, synth-engine (emu is like a modular), multisample-instruments, outputs, filters, envelopes, pitch-area, etc.

I felt that frustration too the first months, not anymore. No need to concentrate on what you can’t do, and try creative workarounds…:content:

1 Like

Yeah it’s strange it can’t do that since its little sibling can. Seems like a no brainer, and would be super cool combined with all of octas strengths.

The Octatrack is not like any other sampler, it doesn’t behave like other samplers.
The Octatrack does many, many things other samplers can not do…
Many of us use it because of this distinction, and don’t care that it doesn’t do what other samplers do.
Those that have one and push the thing have no doubt that it stands alone and is unlike any other device in existence, a brilliantly designed highly functional audio warping device.
The Octatrack doesn’t worry about other samplers and what they do, it just does it’s own thing.

This becomes apparent from hands on use, not from specs or even the manual…

2 Likes

I don’t know the DT but that seems to mean you can have tracks muted on different patternS.

In arranger you can have ONE pattern with different track mutes.

For a person into arrangements, the OTs Arranger cannot be understated.

You talk about limited: memory on these are downright crippled compared to the OT. And that’s important to keep in mind when approaching the OT. All of those things you mentioned as limited can be, imo, easily managed with the OT in various ways, for example resampling. And one can resample till their hearts content onto the SD card.

I love my ASR10 but very quickly run into memory issues. Compared to the OT it’s a slog to work with. And the sequencer with slice and slot locks? Forget it.

As stated above, the OT does not want to be a classic sampler. You’d be doing it a disservice by approaching it as one.

1 Like
2 Likes

You forgot that part! :wink:

When we developed the Machinedrum UW, one of the goals was to allow for a creative use of samples. Once the machine was released it became apparent that especially the RAM machines, which made it possible to record sounds in real-time and instantly play them back, were utilized in ways we originally couldn’t even imagine

3 Likes

RAM it up your Octatrack Sezare! :joy::joy::joy::joy:

I’m breaking the law and placing this here too because I can’t say it enough, this what I think makes the OT an OT:

Big thing about the ol Octa is 8 tracks of realtime samplers with per step input source/length and ability to playback the 8 recordings per step with sample locks on any of the 8 tracks all in realtime. All plocked with per step rate/pitch fx/general playback settings. All sliced up as well…
Then it just goes on and on with track length, scenes, parts, etc…
Multiplexed if your feeding these from the midi sequencer routed to gear and back into the inputs, and using realtime multi level re sampling.
In real time. Nothing else does that… The rest of the OT barely matters to me but is certainly playable…

I think the OT is more designed for extreme realtime sampling with extremely warped playback, it’s not meant to be a general sample player and many who use it for that may do really well with it but I don’t think it’s it’s main mojo strongpoint… It wants to realtime sample…

1 Like

OT: Gimme fresh samples! Steaming and still echoing samples! C’mon, gimme!

1 Like

OM: Sure, no problem buddy!

OT: Don’t stop there, please continuously update the sample buffet in real time, or at least refresh the refreshments often, I will forever rock you for this…

1 Like