How to convert stereo sample to mono?

Hi there!
I’m a new Octatrack user and so far its been a dream. And its so fascinating to see its fanbase so active in this forum.

I have a simple question, but as far as I have searched I havent found a simple solution for this: is there a way to convert stereo samples into mono?. In Ableton I always use the Utility tool and click on ‘mono’.

I am asking this because some samples have a wide stereo field which doesnt really sit well in the mix, and I dont feel like prepping this beforehand because I want to work quick and do this on the Octa.

Thanks in advance!

using the spatializer effect and turning down the side signal would make the sound mono. then resample it an there you go

9 Likes

You could try MIX CHANNELS option in AED, it merges the channels such that both sides are identical.

11 Likes

Awesome havent tried that yet. Gonna try that tonight!

1 Like

did not know about that. thx :smiley:

For those who can’t find it:
Audio Editor>Edit>Press “Yes” and press down arrow 17 times :grin:

6 Likes

For those who still can‘t find it after 10 mins like me, this only works on flex tracks :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Note that if you do have the same frequencies being played in the left and right ear and you mix channels, they’ll be combined and you’ll get a volume bump. If you’re having issues with it clipping, you can use the ‘revert to saved file’ option on the file page, then try using the -3db option in the edit menu prior to doing the mix L/R command in the [AED].

2 Likes

Just in case :
Converting one left or right channel to mono doesn’t seem easy. And you can’t make mono files, saving space in RAM. (Possible to load mono files)
An Appreciation - The Octatrack Audio Editor - #19 by sezare56

This is something that is pretty easy to do with DigiChain, choose a mono audio context, drag in your stereo samples, then for each one, choose how it is processed to mono with the L, R, S, D buttons.

• L takes only the left channel
  • R takes just the right channel
  • S sums them to mono (there will be no volume jump as the sum is evened)
  • D is the difference between the two channels (can be considered the ‘side’)

Click the waveform or the P key to play the sample, the choice above is reflected in the live preview playback.

Once happy with your results, click the download all button to get a zip file of all the converted audio files as individual files.

Or, chain them into sample chains with a .ot file with the slice information for use on the OT.

2 Likes

Sure, I didn’t try your digichain yet, but it should be a basic feature in OT in a DAW less setup, thinking about recording mono files do double recording time, selecting L/R channel, etc.
OT Audio Editor is pretty evolved, but it lacks some essential features…

3 Likes