An Appreciation - The Octatrack Audio Editor

Btw I tried differently : copy the selection, set PASTE mode to MIX 0db, invert channel R, paste to cancel R.
Didn’t work.
Surprising they didn’t implemented that…

I could have sworn it was possible, ha memory is a funny thing.

2 Likes

I also thought it was possible with AED!
I checked how by curiosity. Not sure if I would have bet a lot of money! :smile:

Could patch the L out into the input and sample from one channel pretty easily too

1 Like

I’d rather use internal sampling : hard pan L or R, record with SRC3. AED > MIX CHANNELS > ADD CH L+R

Unfortunately you can’t make mono files with OT! Stereo only meme needed. :thinking:

2 Likes

So @darenager was right, it’s possible with the AED but I couldn’t find a simpler way than that :

• Load your sample in 2 slots

• Slot 1 > - 3db

• Slot 1 > - 3db again

• Slot 1 > Fn + Copy

• Slot 2 > - 3db

• Slot 2 > - 3db again

• Slot 2 > Invert Channel R*

• Slot2 > Change Paste Mode > MIX 0db

• Slot 2 > Fn + Paste

• Slot 2 > Mix Channel > Add CH L+R**
    :crazy_face::exploding_head::partying_face:

Basically you paste a sample to itself with an *inverted channel, cancelled by phase opposition. You keep only left channel, and **make it mono. Add - 3db twice for each slot to avoid clipping after pasting.

It didn’t work properly with MIX - 6db, nor with only 1 slot. Apparently the copied selection is also affected if you do an action after in the same slot…:thinking:
If someone can find a simpler way, I’m interested in!

7 Likes

Haha thanks for diving in and finding this solution. :smile:

1 Like

It was a victory, not sure it is the best solution! :crazy_face:

1 Like

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

Where there’s a Will there’s a way!

3 Likes

What is this rotate start of which you speak?
I’m enjoying sampling 16 secs of something then setting a small loop in the editor and then moving start point around randomly to get a bunch of snippets. Editor is great on OT. sp16 got sold for this reason.

ROTATE POS TO START rotates the audio data so that the cursor position becomes the new start position of the sample.

It shifts the audio.

4 Likes

I just wanted to show my appreciation for the audio editor.

Thanks AED :sound::blush::pager:

3 Likes

Long life to AED! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Yes, extremely handy to use either for correcting a loop captured incorrectly or as a creative tool, as far as I can tell it is a feature unique to the Octatrack.

4 Likes

Great tips here! I’m underusing the AED, but with this thread in mind i’ll explore te AED more :mag_right:.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Little trick for 2 sounds in one file. This can be applied to any sampler with reverse.

2 samples in a file. Reverse the 2nd one.
Play with rate - 63 to play the 2nd sample normally, instead of first one.

Well, there are slices!

4 Likes

I wish Static samples had the same editing functions as Flex samples. To get full editing access you need to reload the sample into a Flex slot, only then you get the additional editing options. Super clunky.

2 Likes

Apparently samples have to be loaded into Ram for those editing options to be possible.

Makes sense.

These days, I’ve been sampling really expressive cello loops with a boatload of tempo variation even inside a 2 bars loop. The editor has been super helpful to surgically rework these into usable grooves. First time I do something I couldn’t have done on the DT.

All hail ping pong loops, all hail the AED!

3 Likes