How to connect Keith McMillen QuNexus to Elektron Digitone via midi?

Hello,

How do you get midi working between the QuNexus and the Digitone?

I have the QuNexus midi out (ch10 - via usb-mini to 5 pin din midi cable connected to the midi expander port) going into the Digitone’s midi in.

Both are connected and powered up but I can’t seem to get them talking. Initially when I first powered up the Digitone it worked, but when I configured the Digitone to work with the Model: Samples after watching BoBeats YouTube video Summer of Synths episode featuring Slow Haste: How to Build an Easy to Use & FUN dawless synth setup // Summer of Synths, the Qunexus stopped working with the Digitone.

I’d like to use the Qunexus as my main midi controller for both the Digitone and the Model: Samples. I’m using auto channels to work on selected tracks.

Can I connect them with usb midi instead of 5 pin DIN midi to avoid the extra midi cable since they both have usb midi?

I do have the QuNexus editor software on my Mac.

I am not using the Keith McMillen Expander.

System Setup

Digitone (brain, synth, sequencing) -> Samples (drums)

Audio - Digitone --> Koma Field Kit mixer ch 2

Audio - Model: Samples --> Koma Field Kit mixer ch 3

QuNexus is using ch 10 on the Controller in the QuNexus editor.

Digitone is using Auto Channels

Note: Factory settings on most everything except for the customizing done to get the Digitone and the Samples talking.

I followed these instructions but they don’t seem to line up with the reality of what I see in the QuNexus editor.

I researched these threads before posting this thread:

midi = 5 pin din

usb-midi = obvious

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

BM

From what i remember Qnexus has 3 tracks that can have different midi outputs, make sure the one that you set to ch10 is selected on the controller itself.

1 Like

Okay, I’ve got it working on midi channel 10. I had to set the midi channel on the device itself, rather than in the QuNexus editor. Thank you!

Problem now is the midi preset resets every time I power cycle the Qunexus. It’s like the Qunexus forgets the midi channel is was previously set to.

Also, how can I control play, stop, rec on the Digitone from the QuNexus?

As if that weren’t enough, I’d like to also use a different midi ch to control the Model: Samples from the QuNexus, but I’m not sure how to set it up.

BM

In Sync options of the DN enable the transport receive. I think you can only start and stop though, no rec.

Make sure that your controller can send transport messages aswel.

Maybe you missed “save/apply” button in the editor? Perhaps your midi settings on Qnexus didnt do anything because they werent saved on the device.

That worked. :ok_hand:t6:

It can. Play and Stop work, but as you mentioned rec does not. That’s ok though, play & stop are enough.

I think I’ve got this piece sorted out. It doesn’t retain the preset selection when power cycled. It does retain the midi ch setting.

1 Like

Go figure, about an hour after I got the qunexus working I changed directions and decided to use my Organelle M as a midi controller/sampler/fx processor/looper/utilities box.

Now I’ve gotta crack that nut. Jeez, when does it end? :joy: