How old are you and where are you from?

I’m 37, from Vannes, France.

I like mostly dub, minimal, bass music, drum and bass, hard techno, and raggatek.

That’s also what I’m trying to achieve in my music (with more or less success :wink: ).

1 Like

Just turned 44 yesterday. Portland, Oregon for the last 20 years…

New to the forum, old MD user, AR gasser (as well as every other damn Elektron box for the matter) currently moving gear to fund the next purchase.

I would posit that I know less than about electronic music than anyone on this forum…to the extent that I don’t even know what any of the genres or sub-genres are. But I do know I like a lot of what I’ve heard. And while I come from a rock n roll, guitar and acoustic instrument background, I’m increasing interested in looking for different textures.

My influences range from the funky meters to the national. I like pretty music and I like ugly music. I think that Aphex Twin’s Flim is pretty much the most beautiful thing I’ve heard.

1 Like

46 - Sydney Australia

Ambient, deep house, DnB

2 Likes

I’m 38 and live in Essex UK.

I own an A4, AR & OT amongst other things.

I started as a guitarist 22 years ago and still play but have taken more to the digital production side of music in the last few years.

I have a very broad taste in music, Led Zeppelin, Frank Zappa, The Beatles, The Orb, KLF, Pantera, Slayer, Bonobo, Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin, BOC, The Underwolves, Shitmat, Air, Beck, Primal Scream…

My friend and I have a show on our local radio station, you can hear old episodes here for an idea of what we’re in to: https://www.mixcloud.com/randomselection/

If you’d like to be played on our show please PM me.

2 Likes

St Etienne, France, 37.

Being a guitarist since I’m a kid, I bought a guitarist bass 2 years ago (Rickenbacker gorgeous 4003 MB).
Found a band, left the band… I bought a Volca Beats to have a beat to play on.
Really had fun with this little box. Enough to get me the other Volcas.
Then an OP-1, then an OT…
Can’t say I know what kind of music I’m doing with these, but I like it and it’s enough for me :slight_smile:

Influences (I had to check my Last.fm account)
Flying Lotus / Animal Collective / Deerhoof / Radiohead / Liars / Dirty Projectors / Deerhunter / Panda Bear / Grizzly Bear / Why? / Beach House / James Blake / Subtle / Shabazz Palaces / Chester Watson / Broken Social Scene / Andy Stott / Aphex Twin

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

I come from Leeds originally :+1:
I used to knock around with the Terra crew in the early “noughties”
Purusha, I remember seeing you on many a flyer for gigs at the “Windy”

Knowing me, XponentOne, knowing you, kusalamati, aha!
Am just coming up 33 (and too bloody quickly for my liking - swear I was 18 yrs old 5 mins ago), and am currently living nr Southampton UK - originally from Oxford.
Love all things warp records, brian eno etc - idm, ambient but also dubstep, dnb/jungle. However the music I mak3 tends to veer towards pretty cheerful leftfield electronica - guess that says a lot about my personality![/quote]

:heart:

1 Like

25, Vienna, Austria.

So hard to name specific influences… I guess in in genres it’s: Dub (High Tone here as well <3<3<3<3), Minimal, Ethno, Jazz, Hip Hop.

1 Like

26, Linz, Austria.

My favourite band/artists are Nine Inch Nails, Beck, Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin, Cypress Hill, Venetian Snares, Telefon Tel Aviv, Modwheelmood, Texta, Nile and so on… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Recently turned 36 and I am in Saskatchewan, Canada.

I’ve been in many bands through the years as a drummer. Bought my first synth while playing in a instrumental post-country band so I could handle some melody ideas too. When both the bands I was in broke up last year I dove head first into this live production thing.

Now I’m rocking a couple elektron boxes with an assortment of other gear and have started to make deep/minimal/tech/dub house ish.

I’m influenced by the way my neck moves while making a beat and what I can remember of the 90/00s

1 Like

I’m 21 and I live in Colorado.

I get inspiration from a bunch of artists.
In no particular order:
The Knife
Hundred Waters
Boys Noize
Deadmau5
Dataline
Cuckoo
Rose Quartz
Gesaffelstein
Lemaitre
Thug Enteancer

Those are some of my current favorites at the moment.

2 Likes

62, California.

I have eclectic tastes in music, but my all-time favorite musician is Miles Davis.

I just figured out what cables I need to run cv from my A4 to my MS-20 Mini - so, more things to learn.

I am trying like hell to avoid modular. But some day…

4 Likes

23 from Lichtenstein and I only really enjoy new wave Skōlka music these days.

I’m 40, and live in Portland Oregon. I fell in love with electronic music back in the days of Depeche Mode, front 242, Ministry, Meat Beat Manifesto, and Aphex Twin. Nowadays, even though my tastes are very brood, I listen to lots of Drum &Bass, Chill, or Dub.

2 Likes

Kia ora,

I’'m 32 next month, from New Zealand but live in South Korea.

Favorite genres are dub techno (Rhythm & Sound being a perennial favorite of mine), vintage reggae and dub, jungle, deep house, and chill out.

Have an AR, A4, OT, MD, and MNM - so many knobs and buttons.

3 Likes

Kia Ora cuz

Where in NZ were you? I’m rocking an AR+OT plus a bunch of other outboard, based down in Hawkes Bay… Virus TI, Minitaur, Microbrute, TimeLine, Big Sky, MuRF…

18 overs left for NZ
41 myself, influences started with acid house in the late eighties back in the UK, hard house, hard trance, dub, techno, trip hop, deep house, ambient, chill…
Trying to decide between an A4/AK/Sub37/Nord Lead 4R/Avalon Bassline Next…

1 Like

I’m a 37 years old norwegian. I got into music making in ProTracker on my Amiga and listened a lot to the heroes of that scene, like Bjørn Lynne and Jesper Kyd.

I’m not actually into dance music, and don’t have a clue what most of the genres mentioned in this thread even are. I listen a lot to Nine Inch Nails, Einsturzende Neubauten, Portishead and Radiohead. I’m going to learn a lot about types of music I didn’t know existed by hanging around here and listening to the stuff you make. :slight_smile:

1 Like

39, from Gothenburg, one ferry ride away from Elektron HQ.

They got this nice thing that you can pick up your gear from their HQ if you’re around. Great people, and pretty cool offices.

Influences are Daft Punk and Air, Tycho and Lindstrom, Studio and Paul Simon, old Django Reinhardt-records, Daniel Lanois, Obfusc, Abakus, und so weider.

What got me started as a pimpled teenager was Jean-Michel Jarre, though. His stuff hasn’t aged all that well, but I still can admire that he had something very own going on.

3 Likes

older than dirt (a saying)

far from where (a song title)

a band an oz band a great band, take a listen
The Reels