How much insanity is in the Digitone?

If one is after almost only weird, metallic, downright alien percussive sounds, it the Digitone a good choice? Will it get MM weird?

1 Like

yes! :slight_smile:

plocks, soundlocks, trigconditions, 4 tracks…

(but i have no experience with the monomachine)

2 Likes

For sure , percussion bliss !

1 Like

I do most of my percussion sounds with the Digitone these days, especially since the last update to the firmware.

1 Like

…u can’t go wrong with this instrument…and as with all elektron boxes, as deeper u dive into it, the deeper goes the rabbit hole…lucky dips, happy accidents and stuff u never thought of will come along all the way…and it’s the only machine where i dig the presets. in first place…

Thanks guys. Reading with great interest. Has anyone something to say about it, in relation to the Monomachine?

Plenty:
https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=Digitone%20Monomachine

5 Likes

Point taken… :wink: Thank you :+1:

Check this out

6 Likes

That looks very cool! Thanks a lot :+1:

Very useful link, watched all three videos from this series.
Can you explain difference between DxRatio floating point numbers and Detune?
What is the most correct conversion to digitone patch?

Edit: found some info, as I understand +7/-7 detune range on dx7 is equivalent to +2/-2 cents, but not lineary.

What did the latest update do?

Ratio offsetting.

2 Likes

@muddeshewrote shared the link a while ago. He maybe can help ?

Also scale per track. It’s a game changer

Surprised it didn’t come with that from the beginning

1 Like

You also have to increase the M.LEN parameter (e.g. to INF).

“M.LEN controls the number of steps the pattern plays before all tracks restart. An INF setting makes the tracks of the pattern loop infinitely, without ever being restarted. Note that this setting also affects for how long the active pattern plays before a chained pattern starts playing. The CH.LEN parameter can override this.”

3 Likes

Like @knh said, you need to set the M.LEN appropriately and then it will give you longer phrases.

For example, I enjoy having my chord phrases at 128 steps (8 bars) but my melody looping every 64 steps (4 bars) In this case I need to set the M.LEN to 128, otherwise the pattern will never play the whole way through my chord phrase. You can make great use of these longer phrases for drones, pads, and chords.

3 Likes

The DN is indeed a BEAST for metallic/percussive sounds. For my live setup, I use a Digitakt, Digitone and sometimes a Circuit Mono Station.

All three boxes can do percussion/drums, but with a focus on different types of sounds for each box.

With the Digitakt, my rhythmic content tends toward more “mainstream” sounding drums and percussion. With the Circuit Mono Station, the rhythms are mostly of the more squelchy analog variety and tend to sound like something coming from a modular. The Digitone CAN sound more thumping “mainstream” with ease, but it can also just as easily get into weird noisy metallic territory that sounds like nothing I could get from the other boxes.

Being able to do that range of mainstream-to-crazy sounds with just one or two tracks, along with other FM or hybrid sounds makes the DN my “secret weapon”, inherently making me sound different than other live performers with either their sample/clips based approaches or the occasional modular performer doing more experimental noise-based stuff.

I love the DN’s unique ways of going from “sane and groovy” to “bat-s**t-crazy” and everything in between on a dime.

Also, ambient music on the DN is sublime. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Favourite trick… hold midi for control all, run my hand up and down the top 4 encoders on pitch, flick the release to infinity then hit ‘func’ and ‘no’ just a millisecond before the beat drops… kinda the groove box equivalent of kicking your amp over.

8 Likes