How hard is it to build a modular rig for video/vj'ing?

I’m currently looking in to this for running a second unit on channel 2.
Still kinda in the weeds… but…
If you plug a usb keyboard (edit: and mouse!) into the rpi and his esc you will back out to desktop view and can open the console along with some helpful readme files…

^basics of ‘ofxmidi’ will be helpful in understanding what you need to adjust in the code lines.
I’ll pm you once I’ve figured out some specifics beyond that… but please feel free to dive in too.

1 Like

Dude, amazing. Going to dive in tonight.

Next step, figuring out how to send the midi CCs to my Edirol V4 mixer, and I’ll be in business.

I feel like we need a new thread for Andrei Jay video tools and integrating with Elektron (and other) gear and try to get some more people on board. Love this forum and how most people are so helpful and not gatekeeper-y.

2 Likes

A thread on the specific theme “Andrei Jay video tools” is a great idea :boom: :boom: :boom:
I just dove into the rabbit hole and boy, I’m hooked!

Gonna do more research/tests and create that new thread soon… :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

BTW, did you know that Andrei Jay was pretty active on Youtube > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9fEy1o90DeTMt0IOrgtT9A/videos

Pretty nice demos!

Peace

Awesome, can’t wait to see what you come up with.

I’ll do my best to record a track with Wave Pool visuals using Digitakt. It works beautifully using trigless trigs to control the values and sort of allows you to control the chaos and recall specific movements which is something I was really missing when controlling it with the Nano Kontrol.

I’m going to buy a 2nd rPi soon so I can combine a second image with Wave Pool and my v4 and really go nuts.

1 Like

I actually use eurorack partly as XY generator for my trusty oscilloscope. Many modules give interesting results ie rings, maths, filters and disting fx. Being able to trigger some movement with midi make it even more interesting.

2 Likes

I havent read this whole thread but this probably needs to be linked here, dutch guy doing video modules:

https://www.reverselandfill.org/

I’ve read and watch a lot about Andrei Jay and realise that what I’m looking for is a as cheap as possible DIY Audio Reactive Visual Synth/Generator in a Raspberry Pi that I can hook up to my Elektron gears (Audio IN + MIDI) and a projector (HDMI). So when I compose+play, I can get some inspiring visuals auto-created. :nerd_face: :boom: :exploding_head: :partying_face: :robot:

So I started digging!

:face_with_monocle: So far I found:

It is difficult to find such projects actually. Looked at Github, Etsy, Scanlinesxyz… a really didn’t found anything. There are a lot of content on Audio Reactive LED Stripes with a Raspberry Pi but I’m not really interested in that kind of creative process.
And also, these projects are pretty pricey in the end… Modular gears are not that far (like the Structure for example).

:telescope:Gonna continue digging!

Do you folks know other product in this category > DIY Audio Reactive Visual Generator in a Raspberry Pi?

1 Like

< hydra > completely free and im having lots of fun using it.
That or learn touch designer.
Another free video synth.mixer is
cyberboy666 recur cyberboy666

If you want to go modular there is LZX https://community.lzxindustries.net
(i organise the LZX discord bi monthly meetup with another much more notable video artist)

3 Likes

I can’t stress enough the fun I am having with Structure at the moment. It’s pretty complete and I even managed to modulate it from Ableton last night, so that opens up a lot of new possibilities.

As for (modular) video in general: it’s really a different ball game compared to audio. Had to buy capture cards, an 4ms Pod40X, an old tv, an extra usb to din midi, etc. So the remarks @arctor023 made earlier are definitely something to keep in mind. :point_down:

3 Likes

Someone from the great forum Scanlines.xyz brought me to this great page that lists DIY Rapsberry Pi projects :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

The rabbit hole gets deeeeeper :boom: :boom: :boom: :boom:

1 Like

Didn’t realize you hadn’t seen this - I found this guide after missing the Eyesey pre-order (and quite frankly not wanting to spend that much money for that particular visual style) and used it to do my Video Waaaves DIY. You can get up and running for the cost the rPi and and SD card if you already have something capable of doing the midi controls, input source, and something for ouput.

I ended up grabbing most of the gear they recommend. The only trouble I’m having is finding a composite cable the the rPi will accept. After buying 3 different ones I just bought a cheap HDMI converter and use the HDMI port on the rPi instead.

The whole thing is super simple to set up. If I can do it anyone can.
Here is Andrei’s Facebook group where you can ask around for help and advice, but be forewarned, they really don’t take well to newbie questions - Facebook Groups

2 Likes