How hard is it to build a modular rig for video/vj'ing?

I’m currently exploring Andrei Jay’s Video Synthesis Ecosphere RPI, specifically a DIY version of his Raspberry Pi based WAAAVE_POOL framebuffer delay/video feedback generator.

He sells pre-built versions if you’re not DIY inclined.

3 Likes

Have you considered Max/MSP? You can get started quick with Vizzie and then dive into Jitter when you’re ready.

2 Likes

I think I’ll go for a compromise: already bought an Arturia 6U case at a ridiculous price (234 euro’s at Bax, with a 10% discount)

Gonna put a Structure (that takes eurorack cv and is digital, not analog) and my Neutron in it and take it from there.

Watched every possible vid on the Structure and I’m sold.

First venture into eurorack, ready to sell my wife, cats & house in a few years :sweat_smile:

I’ve been diving into this stuff a little myself and I think you made the right decision. After building my own Video Waaaves rPi and wanting more, I ended up getting an Edirol v4 to bring in more video sources and layers and it’s still not getting me exactly what I’m wanting. I’m basically in halfway to the price of the Structure which is what I should have just started with. If I do decide to get one, the other stuff I’ve got will still be a great addition, but I should have just jumped in with what I knew would get me closer to the results I was after.

Still contemplating the Structure or the Chromagnon for my first true analog video synth purchase.

1 Like

I am really very very happy with Structure. Last weekend I wasted a whole day away with just feeding the output back into the input. Only scratching the surface, but I like how it’s compatible with midi, eurorack cv ánd lzx. And not so picky with vids & pics either.

This is the first thing I made on it (music made with a 707):

1 Like

Hey, curious if you’re still exploring and if you’ve done any mapping of the parameters to your elektron gear.

1 Like

I’m glad you asked. Mapping WAAAVE_POOL parameters to the DT/DN is on my todo list. Progress came to a standstill, partly due to macOS Big Sur compatibility issues with my Blackmagic HDMI capture device. They’ve recently released new software that I’m hoping will get me back on track. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Amazing, please keep us updated if you think about it.
I’m really at a loss for where to begin the task myself!

Will do. I’ll attempt to document the process and post an update soon.

If your sequencer can get specific with the cc values that it sends via usb, you shouldn’t have to bother with changing any of the midi implementation on a code level in VSERPI, not sure if that’s an option for you.

I’ve been using a Polyend tracker to sequence Spectral Mesh and its suuuuuper fun.

There might be some crossover info that could be helpful to you… what are you trying to achieve?

My knowledge is very limited. I really need a Dummies guide.
Getting the DIY rPi set up was easy with his instructions and I love using it with a simple video source. Anything beyond that uses a lot of technical jargon I’m not familiar with.

Maybe I’ll load the VSERPI image to an SD card and see if I can get it working with the Digitakt. I’m not even sure what midi channel the Pi is defaulting to.

Also, really cool stuff!

I’m just trying to use the trigs on the Digitakt to automate parameters rather than using the Korg Nano Kontrol 2.

Without a doubt the Chromagnon is going to be insane. So many different elements in one standalone instrument. Unlike the Vidiot its not only for creating patterns but it will be able to create objects, it has waveshaping capabilities, vector synthesis (Rutt-Etra -style) if you´re into that, very deep colorization etc. I would def advice you to go for it if you want to do analog video synthesis. Its very expandable with existing audio modular as well. For that price point a no-brainer really.

1 Like

Ch. 1

All of the images share the same midi implementation across their parameters, but the parameters being controlled will change depending on the image you’re running…

Andreis site will have the specific parameters per image

This video will help you set up things on the digitakt side… https://youtu.be/edAedYGrnRM

Anything on vserpi typically mapped to a knob or slider will want fluctuating cc values to react properly, button will want a value of 127 to ‘turn on’ (Pretty sure they’re all mapped as ‘toggle’ vs ‘momentary’ by default)

1 Like

Boom, there we go. I spent about two hours on this yesterday and that image of the Nano with the specific CCs is what I needed. Works great! Not sure how I missed that on his site.

1 Like

Haha! You didn’t overlook anything, I had to pull up the korg editor and load the file he has linked to snap that picture. I’m gonna send Andrei an overlay with the controller/midi cc#s/parameters unique to each image for his site in a few days… if he hates em I’ll at least post them here for easy reference.

I’m not sure if you’re in the Facebook group but I posted in there yesterday and got a really short and snappy reply from him that basically amounted to “read the manual and fuck off” so thanks for digging that up.

1 Like

He should be happy with the overlay I’m working on then, as it will make the whole thing much more user friendly. I’ll tag you and post it here too when I’m done. What image are you using?

@bermudatrax Nevermind, someone beat me to it! I’m just gonna add the cc#s over this lol

1 Like

I’m using video waaaves! It works beautifully with the Digitakt and I’m mad at myself for buying the Nano Kontrol 2 now!

Maybe you know this, maybe not. I’m afraid to ask in the FB group. Seems the Digitakt CC selects only go up to 119 while I need 120-127 for the slider parameters. How difficult would it be for a complete moron to re-code the mapping in the image? And maybe switch the midi channel while I’m in there? Any tips or pointers on where to even start with that would be appreciated, I’m willing to do the work just need to know were to look.

1 Like