How do you video record you jams?

Do you have the OG M6 or the Mk2?

OG mk1

1 Like

I do everything on my phone.
Usually Digitone, connected via USB to the Lightning -> USB 3 Adapter from Apple (this one‘s good because it has a another lightning port for charging)

I use Filmic Legacy to record so I can change the framerate, shutter and ISO to combat DN display flicker. It’s easy to see if the audio is successfully coming from the digitone because the meters are in stereo.
As long as you connect it before starting recording it‘s rock solid.

Small detail, in Filmic: don‘t use the record straight to Camera Roll option, it creates frame drops and you‘re audio will become out of sync (increasingly so it’s near impossible to fix)

I recently got a Røde AI-Micro because I wanted a tiny audio interface that the iPhone can power to record anything without the convenience of USB, like OT, mixer, anything really! It works well I think.

I trim in Photos, and then use an app called „AudioFix: For Videos + Volume“
to adjust the level. It’s awesome, you can tweak the result and just export back to video, saves me from doing any further editing/processing work.

Some behind the scenes :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

How do you get FX out over USB? I have tried recording the individual tracks through the USB out and they have always come through without FX which kind of defeats the purpose.

That’s a good question… never had an issue. They always come through for me?

I don’t use OB or anything. Just stereo out over USB

Maybe check your audio routing settings on your devices and ensure that FX to USB is enabled?

IIRC, the FX are sent over the main L/R tracks. When you multitrack, you get the dry signal only. If you go into the audio routing settings, you can remove the tracks from the main tracks, so you only get the wet FX on the main L/R tracks. That said, the digi-boxes have send FX, so you’ll hear all the tracks’ FX on the main outs.

My set up at the moment is

Elektron boxes -> interface -> iPad (Loopy Pro)

I the record function on Loopy Pro to record the audio. Then just record the video on my phone, set up using some cheap flexible grippy stand thing.

I use the app LumaFusion (paid) to sync the audio and video. It has an auto sync function (paid add on) which works pretty well.

1 Like

Either OT into op-1f straight into iPhone with usb c to lightning cable (I use a phone clip attached to a mic stand for overhead), or iPhone recording just the video and OT (or whatever gear I’m using) into audio interface recording the audio, then line them up in Logic and export. If I need to edit the final video exported from Logic, I’ll throw it into iMovie. Two different methods, both fast and easy.

These were both done using the latter method in Logic. I’ve tried to do a similar thing and edit video and audio (to sync them and then export a movie) in Ableton LIVE but it doesn’t seem to work for me.

EDIT: Has anyone synced video and audio successfully in Ableton Live?

3 Likes

Is this allows you to record video with stereo sound on Iphone? the same way as using USB to the Lightning -> USB 3 Adapter but for analog stereo outs? Does it make a solid connection so that the sound recorded is always stable?

1 Like

Yes! It was two inputs. You can either use them as left and right or separate mono channels.
Channel 1 can also be set to stereo in the Røde app, so you can plug it for example in a headphone Jack with one stereo cable and monitor through the headphone out of the interface.
The direct monitoring in the rode app is mono only so I would recommend using something like AUM or AudioShare to monitor while you’re filming.

Made a quick unlisted demo
https://youtube.com/shorts/Qd3JaTrClqs?feature=share

Edit: re Stability - I haven’t stress-tested it, only did around 15-20 minute recordings. But quite happy so far

2 Likes

Main out from the DN to the camera’s mic input (recording stereo), then plug headphones or speakers into the camera’s audio output to hear what I’m recording.

4 Likes

SICK!
I love using my camera.
Especially in the dark with. a lowlight lens

1 Like

I use a Zoom Q8n and OBS but sometimes the Zoom’s audio doesn’t seem to make its way through and I sit there stoned and baffled. I’d love to be able to switch it on every time andit just work but some setting eludes me. Here’s an older one when it did work. https://youtu.be/iE35Oi0im78

BTW if anyone is successfully using a Zoom Q8n-4k with Windows 11 and OBS I’d dearly love to learn how - and what I’m doing wrong! I can get it to work on my old Windows 10 laptop but not this new one… :frowning:

Whats a good app nowadays for android phones to directly connect & record your interface or elektron gear?

BTW I did eventually get the Zoom working with Windows 11 - turned out there are non-obvious audio inputs that need to be enabled, I think it was something like “desktop audio” that worked for me in OBS.
It’s reasonably easy even for a stoned person, but I still often find that video is one step too far in complexity from my usual jam audio recording process. Once I add the ‘what does this look like?’ dimension, I lose some focus on ‘what does it sound like?’. YMMV.

I use my iPhone too but would love to get a good camera. I’m just not making enough YT jam vids to justify it.
I recently found DaVinci Resolve and it’s amazing. I also use the free version and it’s more than enough for the purpose. I think you can just record audio directly into Resolve and then add the footage from your camera. Resolve has great audio integration so you can EQ and maximise your recording with plugins right there along with the video.

Bumping this to ask if anyone has any recommendations of phone mounts for mic stands? I have a spare mic stand and it might be cool to have a nicer setup than trying to balance my iphone on a shelf or a monitor for an overhead shot

I remember trying to find one of these and it being really hard to find something decent that could attach to a mic stand vs a tripod without a heap of thread adapters. It’s one of those non-modern search engine friendly searches that basically ignores what you’re searching for and gives you results on what it thinks you want.

Rant aside, I bought and like this one. I haven’t used it much but it feels nice.

1 Like

Just to clarify, this will fit onto a standard mic stand? I have a desk mount flexible mic arm that I thought I’d like to mount a camera mount to occasionally but it has been nearly impossible to find one that will fit on a mic stand.