How big has the Octatrack been for Elektron?

I mean if it hadn’t been invented how much of a dent would it have been in their whole status. Is it fair to say that without it they wouldn’t be talked about as much especially here? I know the other products are amazing especially the AR and A4 but is the Octatrack the reason for their longevity? Just wondering on others thoughts on this.

I think the OT is their best seller

I am not sure the A4 is a best seller

I don’t think you could say it’s the sole reason. They’ve made a load of great things, both before and since the Octatrack, but it does have a bit of a legendary status that few other things do. Honestly, I think their newer, lower end boxes are probably doing more for their wider reputation. Things like the DT, DN and the model line are way more accessible and have been very well received.

9 Likes

I agree they have the DT and DN as well, I was just thinking that the discussions and youtube videos often refer back to the OT in some sort of fashion, or gets a mention of some sort.

I think Machinedrum and Monomachine already made the reputation before OT…
Don’t know about Sid Station.

18 Likes

This is true as well. But the OT is the one most talked about even after 10 years.

1 Like

No idea about volume of sales etc… what I know is that almost every live electronic act I see seems to be using one, I’m guessing thats a sign it’s been pretty popular and that there’s little competition on that front still. I think it’s been the most Iconic piece of gear they produced and certainly helped in getting them on the map… but then again let’s not forget about the MD, thats the kit that made people take notice, IMHO.

4 Likes

Digitakt is the best selling Elektron device, for sure.

5 Likes

Agree about MD and MnM as really getting things going. I guess they’re discontinued, and the OT is still in production, hence it’s continued relevancy/discussion.

Lately I’m in the Octatrack threads pondering picking a new one up after selling previously, but then I’m reminded of the old ‘save’ workflows from that era and I have second thoughts…

1 Like

MD and MnM were definitely the devices that made their reputation (especially because of Autechre). They are way more important than the Analogs, which were surprisingly limited at launch compared to how they are now. OT is the company’s true slowburner, tho, like an album that gets better with time and repeated listenings. I remember all the early thoughts about OT being centered around it being a potential DAW in a box, and that conversation continued for so long that it harmed its reputation early on when people found out that it came up short on that front (imo). DT is the king in terms of Elektron’s current reputation tho - it’s the gateway drug that unlocks people’s interest in all the other devices before and since. Generally speaking, yady yada, of course.

5 Likes

Yeah in pretty sure this is the case. I don’t think it’s even close.
But as has been said, it’s not just the one device that made them such a well known brand.

No. According to @Ess in 2018:

However, looking back in time, this topic:

discussing this 2015 newspaper article with Elektron’s CEO:
https://www.gp.se/ekonomi/musikföretaget-elektron-bryter-ny-mark-1.100100

states (in translation):

After a tough period, things started to happen. When they released the sampler Octatrack six years ago, it turned around and the company began to turn over multi-million sums.

12 Likes

I’m pretty sure the Overhub is what keeps the company going.

15 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

:point_up:

It’s definitely not their best selling device, but it’s the most versatile one. That’s why there is so much talk about even after all these years. You can accomplish 1000 and one thing with it - just limited by your (or your friendly co-elektronaut’s) imagination and creativity.

2 Likes

Or the most mysterious?

6 Likes

AND their most mysterious one, right :smiley:

5 Likes

Is that an official promo shot or did you make it? I honestly can’t tell :joy: It’s so much like their recent promos of products chilling in a swamp, or a forest after a massive fire haha

2 Likes

Octa is more suited for dystopic looking environments^^

9 Likes