How are people liking the Model: Samples?

When I wrote my post, I was still waking up, so I’m glad it made sense! I totally agree with your first point. The sequencer is there with a lot of nice tricks, but the M:S does seem to invite you to play it, be more free, experiment, etc. I like that it’s different that way. Maybe it opens up a new world of interacting with the other Elektrons / gear I have. I haven’t tried the sample locks yet, but that time will soon come.

One side note, since this is one of the more active threads for the M:S. Is the output on the low side? I ran mine through my usual recording path and had to pump up the gain on my interface, as well as bump up the sensitivity on the analog heat. Maybe I’m just used to the octatrack, which seems to have really hot outputs. A proper mixer might be in my future…

1 Like

I imagine the 5V / 5W PSU is contributing to this.

Ah right – good point. The power jack on the side (for the battery handle vaporware) is tolerant up to 10VDC. I wonder if running a 9VDC PSU in there would make a difference. Probably not as it’ll be regulated down to 5V, I imagine.

Did you adjust the main output settings in the global menu (I’m at work so I can’t check exactly which option it is)? The factory settings are very low, but it’s a quick and easy fix. I initially had your concerns and was very relieved!

As far as I know, you can adjust the headphone level to a lower setting than the main outs, but there doesn’t seem to be a global setting for main out volume. Am I missing something?

Just played with the Model:Samples for the first time at Guitar Center and I have to say, I was fairly unimpressed. Navigating the menus seemed tedious and the 6 tracks seems extremely limited. Maybe I’ve just been spoiled with the Machinedrum UW for the past few years where it just doesn’t compare. All things considered, the price is much better than a Machinedrum obviously, but I myself would never have a need for this machine. Save a little extra and get the Digitakt seems better.

2 Likes

The pads are not great. Even with maximum settings (essentially just 100% all the time). Being velocity sensitive is not really going to do much if I have to haymaker punch a pad with my finger to get even a low sound out of it.

I don’t know what I expected but I guess I’ve been spoiled by the OT and the blackbox :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Ah, you’re probably right about that. Still, I haven’t had any issues with output volume aside from the headphones issue. The M:S is plugged into my mixer with the levels basically the same as my DN and they’re both the same volume.

In terms of what the M:S is or isn’t, I agree that as an all-in-one beat/groove machine (much less midi sequencer) it’s much more limited than many other things out there: other Elektrons, MPC, Rolands, etc. However, what it is–a flexible sample player with trigger locks, quick and simple workflow, good sound–it does very well. For the $300 it’s been on sale for, it’s a great deal. The 6 tracks are somewhat limiting (although sample locks can add complexity), but used in combination with a variety of other gear (analog drum machine, Blackbox for clips and longer samples, even the DT) it gives my setup an extra option.

Put it this way: the DT is obviously inferior to the OT in many ways, but virtually nobody argues that the DT isn’t a very useful (and cheaper) machine for what it does. I see the same kind of comparison with the M:S vs DT. Not everyone will need one, but obviously not everyone needs a DT, or OT, or whatever. Let a thousand flowers bloom…

6 Likes

I mainly got it for to use it as a mono synth (single cycle waveforms) so for that it’s going to be great I am sure. Lots of performance knobs. The workflow is odd compared to DT/DN/OT.

I am excited to use it for sound exploration however!

1 Like

This!

In my world, limitations are a good thing. When I have less options I spend more time creating and less time picking out tools for the job - too many choices and I feel bogged down and lose inspiration quickly. It’s why I’d never get into modular, and even Ableton and the OT felt like a chore to me. On the other hand I love stuff like the DT, DN, Korg Monologue and Model:Samples. They strike a nice middle ground between simplicity and complexity that makes them fun and rewarding to use. I really enjoy these relatively simple user interfaces that require minimal setup.

Of course different people like different things and I totally get why people are into complex machines. But I think that criticising this lil guy for being limited is missing the point, that is its raison d’être after all. That is not to say it couldn’t be improved. I’d like the pads to be a wee bit more sensitive myself!

2 Likes

If only it could sample itself :frowning: I constantly sampling guitar and synths to use the sounds. All other “restrictions” would be no problem.

I bought it a second time at the lower price (15% off coupon I get in mail from Musicians Friend puts it at $255) and am liking it a lot more. The fixed velocity feature makes the pads more responsive, though not as responsive as my those on my Push 2, but good enough. I love that it maps so well to a drum rack in Ableton, so that I can use it as a MIDI controller/sequencer. Really digging the class compliant aspect so that I can hook it up to my iPhone for instant effects. The way I look at it is that it was only $100 more than a new Volca Sample but I like it so much more, despite the Volca’s “character” sound. It checks a lot of boxes for $255.

2 Likes

I was just gonna say, if it had 1 channel of live resampling I’d be all over it like a hot pocket. having said that Im of this opinion with every elektron machine.
real-time resampling on the OT n MD adds such depth to patterns I wish elektron had even a single resampling track in every machine they release. would be mint :raised_hands:t3:

2 Likes

I really like this perspective. Thanks for helping me see it in a different light. I’m actually about to sell my Volca Sample because while I love the damn thing, I find the interface a bit frustrating when I’m away from it too long. Which is often.

Another thing that helps is longer nails, or at least slightly past the fingertip. For some reason that makes a huge difference. I was wondering why I suddenly found the pads so much more responsive, and that was it.

Might not be an option for most of you, but thought I’d pass the knowledge. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Also, to stay on topic:

I’m an amateur user with few ambitions - I’ll probably never record music and most certainly not perform live (for others than my cat) - but I find making beats and snippets and noodling around with music immensely satisfying. I previously owned and enjoyed the OP-Z but eventually returned it because almost every button was double-trigging, and got the Model:Samples instead.

So far I’ve been really happy with the exchange, no problems with buttons or build quality at all, although I do miss the ability to play actual chords on the keyboard. The M:S is enjoyable and immediate in the same way, I think, a good place to start for us people with little to none musical proficiency in the traditional sense.

12 Likes

It’s like the rimshot of finger drumming! I have found too that if I use the tip of my finger (vs. the “pad”) I can register more velocity. Also, hitting the pads faster (more velocity?) generally register better as well. There’s probably a little bit of technique that goes along with using pads.

Also – welcome! I’m sure your cats are huge fans. I had an OP-Z as well. I didn’t experience any manufacturing issues (occasional double-trigger), but I wasn’t using it often enough to remember all the various button presses, etc. Fun device, though.

2 Likes

One thing that’s nice about the M:S (and indeed most Elektron gear) is that it’s hard to make something that sounds terrible (at least after you twist a few knobs). Even fails usually still sound interesting.

The simplicity also makes it a good machine to learn more about basic sound manipulation. And I think it’s the kind of instrument that even if you graduate all the way up to an OT is still worth having in your setup–if I’d had a fairy who warned me every time I bought something I’d outgrow in six months, I… could have saved up to buy more gear!

2 Likes

For me its the best machine out there if you want a customizable drum-machine with the best sequencer out there. And for 299€ its simply a no-brainer! The M:S is kind of Native Instruments Battery Software as Hardware. Its so easy to choose, preview and load sounds to the pads and so much parameter per knob (HP/LP-filter, sample-start, pitch, effect-sends, etc.) helps you a lot to get fast and easily to your target or makes you a live-editing genious. its so clever designed, has so much features, etc. - THATS why I love it so much more than digitakt and octatrack. The only thing I miss is stereo-sample support.

2 Likes

I’ve only had mine for a day but things I definitely like are:

The squishy feel of all of the buttons
The chance knob
The simplicity with which it handles chains
The ultra knobby interface / immediacy
The reverb tone options
The pioneer style HP/LP filter
The one knob vol+dist
The form factor

Things I will need to get used to:
No bitcrush or SRR