How are people liking the Model: Samples?

0-120 so no decimal places… (in steps of 1!)

What he said. So if your sample chains (or wavetables) consist of 120 samples of equal length strung end-to-end, you’ll be in business!

I love that it uses the same 120 step standard as Rytm, but with the added bonus of the LENGTH parameter (instead of end) from the Digitakt.

Can’t wait to get mine. I was on the fence between this, an OP-Z, and a Volca Drum.
Had to go with the one that can make the most of all the sample chains I’ve already created, and the DJM style filter is a nice bonus.

2 Likes

I was surprised at how much one can get out of it, it seems simplified (and it is), but there are some nice touches that go a long way to add versatility.

2 Likes

That’s great news for stacking 121 samples !

120 is the last end point.
Or, if you are playing them in reverse, the start point.

2 Likes

You re right. My maths hurt.

1 Like

Understandable… I have daily lingering maths soreness.

If we’re talking about the same thing then it’s quite easy in most DAWs, or at least the ones I’ve used, because you can normally just move a control in the software (a volume fader or a control on some VST or other) and then just turn a knob on the M:S and it’ll be mapped. When I trie it in Ableton Live I was also able to to set the MIDI out to the M:S so that if I move a knob in the software, and then move a knob on the M:S, it stays in sync so that there’s no jumping.

6 channels of this means 6 entire sets of knobs and buttons on the M:S to map - that’s a lot of control!

3 Likes

Right! Thanks for replying. I’m not quite sure how to do midi learn to map controls in logic pro, it definitely looks simpler to set up in Ableton.

I just got mine a few weeks ago. I think it’s the most immediately fun piece I’ve owned.

I’m using it mainly to make drums and also as a wavetable synth as someone else mentioned. I like using it to make some cool loops that I don’t feel like I would be able to do in a DAW without a considerable amount of wrk and by that time the inspiration is lost. With this thing, you come across a lot of happy accidents and sounds you didn’t know were possible especially when you start using the lfo to control different aspects of the sound. For example on synth sounds I like to put an lfo on the sample start time and change record myself changing the start time. Sounds crazy.

With the loops I’ll maybe slow them down and double time then to make some crazy trap music type stuff. For the price idk why anyone wouldn’t want one. Very useful and very fun. I think the people saying there aren’t enough features don’t really make music seriously. There’s more than enough here to make something crazy. For live i can see wanting some of the more advanced elektron boxes but i think you You can perform live with it and manage. I personally won’t be using it for that purpose but mostly as a writing tool.

6 Likes

Totally agree - I’m using fixed velocity most of the time, and am close to returning it because of this as well.

1 Like

I had a dream last night the modelsamples was a little handheld yoke, like a game boy with a tonne of buttons.
was pretty cool :upside_down_face:

I bought a Model:Samples recently on sale. I wasn’t super impressed when playing it in the store, probably I was a bit prejudiced because of all the hate this box got when it was announced, but after testing it out at home and getting to know it a bit better I’m really warming to it. It sounds nice and is quick, easy and fun to use thanks to the one knob per function interface. Really makes a difference for quickly dialing in a beat. Yeah it’s limited but that’s the whole point! That’s what makes it great and different from the other Elektrons.

5 Likes

I’ve been having the same experience now that I’ve had more time to spend with the model:samples. At first, the differences in workflow messed with my muscle memory, but it doesn’t take long to get used to this interface. And, as you mention, there are limitations, but that’s part of the uniqueness of this box. It sounds great, and building beats and sequences up is quick and fun. I still have to learn a bit more about it, but I think it finally fits what I want for a musical sketchpad.

3 Likes

@olelovold @cold_fashioned

Have either of you tried it with the class compliant usb audio connection?

Not yet, since I have a certain recording path for audio. However, I will definitely give it a try soon, plugging into my iPhone.

1 Like

Thanks! I’d love to hear a recent report. :slight_smile:

No unfortunately, I’m running it into my Digitone and recording that from USB.

Some additional impressions, mostly in comparison with the DT which I’ve had and enjoyed for a good while:

• The M:S is eminently playable. While other Elektrons feel made for programming, this one feels made for playing. I’m getting used to the pads now and they are really powerful, not just for tapping in beats, but for quickly muting and selecting tracks as well.
  • Like @cold_fashioned mentioned, the workflow on the M:S is a bit different, so it takes some getting used to. I didn’t click with it straight away but I’m loving it now - it is sooo quick and enjoyable, it’s ridiculous.
  • The exponential envelope makes the percussion snappy and tight in a rather sweet way that I really enjoy.
  • The way sound locks are implemented feels a lot more intuitive.
  • The tactile feedback from this machine is very different as well. Squishy rather than clicky. I like it.
4 Likes