How are people liking the Model: Samples?

I’ve been churning out tracks with the M:S and Digitone all week and managed to record some today. In both of these M:S is doing the drums with the Digitone handling the synth work and melodic stuff. I’m really enjoying the M:S as a drum machine, it’s so hands-on and quick and fun to play.

12 Likes

Loving ‘Under Fire’. Bravo.

2 Likes

The LFO menu gets familiar really quickly. Master compressor would be amazing on M:S.

1 Like

I suppose I mostly just miss arrow buttons for navigation within menus, and am getting used to using an encoder instead. But yea, I’ll adapt.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the orange knob is identical to the white? (minus the color of course)
Would like to do a switch-a-roo and swap out the orange for another white.

I don’t have a M:S anymore so can’t tell but really close to getting another one very soon before the price jumps back up 100$. Which should be any day now.
Trying to hold out till the NAMM announcements but would hate to pay an extra 100 if the sale ends before then.

This sustained price reduction on the M:S only (all other Elektron devices back to full msrp) is probably a good indication the new battery handle is about to be announced at NAMM perhaps.
Need my Model:Samples and Chill…on the couch. Cozy is how I draw inspiration.

1 Like

Nope, the orange knob is different. The other knobs are skirted while the orange is wider over the body with no skirt. I can’t easily slide it off the shaft so I can’t comment on whether it’ll fit other pots.

1 Like

Rite on, thanks.
Also just remembered, isn’t one of the buttons clickable? If it’s the orange one I’m assuming it wouldn’t work anyways using a grey.

1 Like

The main volume is too (on/off) so you might be okay are all

Edit - the orange is clickable too😀

anyone know is there a definite reason for the 100 euro discount at the moment? is it permanent or?

Ok so after a few days with this thing. Performance knobs are AWESOME

Audio Interface straight into Audacity? AWESOME

Not a fan of the pads still but it’s a fun machine for sure…

Here is a weird gasps Anti-Ambient 24 step sequence beat I jammed on:

warning heavy use of LFO and Chance knob

6 Likes

Agreed! I am super hopeful.
It’s amazing how much of a tune you can hash out with just 6 tracks. This just invites mobility more and more.

5 Likes

I find I get a mildly disturbed feeling listening to this. A bit like when things seem closer than they are.

Fantastic Anti-Amibience.

1 Like

Thanks! It probably helps with some context. There were Tornadoes last night and the siren went off and when I woke up it was snowing…

2 Likes

The on/off (white) encoder and the orange encoder feel like they behave the same, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they were the same part. Meaning… you could probably replace the orange knob with a white or gray. If you do, send me your orange!

It’s Pgrm woof who was asking about swapping around. I was just providing pics as the M:S is on my lap at the moment.

lol, don’t take it personal, it’s all in good fun.
Btw I think I just now coined Tombient.

6 Likes

Tombient… love it! Until it scares me.

1 Like

The biggest advantage of not needing Overbridge and having this be class compliant is that I can use my linux laptop with Bitwig. Both using the Samples as a MIDI controller and pushing out audio. What a nice surprise. For this new 299 pricepoint (hoping it sticks) this is an excellent MIDI sequencer and sample groovebox…

5 Likes

Agreed. £250 sheets here in the UK is a top price. No brainier at that money

I haven’t even plugged mine into the computer yet. I got it a couple of months ago off a fellow ‘naut and it had some sample packs already installed so I’ve been doing ‘found’ M:S music in terms of samples used so far.

2 Likes

Just looking on the Bay for current used prices and I notices a couple of USA listings for $228 brand new. Prefect Circuit was one. Have they had a further reduction stateside?

Edit that was the gbp price :see_no_evil::grinning:

1 Like