How are people liking the Model: Samples?

Hi i own many elektron devices and i just bought model samples last night. i did the update and was ready to go. however, when using model sample the fing thing keeps freezing up and i have to unplug it to get back to using it. i used this machine for 40 mins and it froze 3 times…i’m probably going to return it if this isn’t a fixable situation.

I’ve yet to hear anything I enjoy from it based on all the demos/songs/jams I’ve heard and I swore I wouldn’t get one. But… the velocity sensitive pads are a big turn on, though I have a keyboard and don’t really travel to make music. That and the knob per function… If I ever get one secondhand it’s for those reasons alone, and it’d be exclusively for creating drum tracks to sample.

Down in the $300s used if you can find them, one on Reverb for $320 + shipping currently. If it gets any lower I think it’s a good deal and becomes too tempting.

1 Like

Lol, I just saw your new picture

2 Likes

I’m thinking the same. I’m torn at the moment tho as I’m desperate to get the RD 808 and I’m hoping they’re available soon. Completely different beast to the M:S I know but I can’t weigh in for both right now even if the Samples is pre owned.

Patience is the name of the game I guess.

1 Like

I only purchase things new ironically but I almost always get them better than secondhand prices. Got my DN new for $560. I got an OB-6 module new for $1,800 and sold it. It really is about patience, just make due with what you have, keep your eyes open and strike while the price is hot :slight_smile: It’s hard to tell if when Elektron releases a new Model device, whether the price of Samples will rise or fall, it’s really dependent on what it does and how it compliments the Samples.

I subscribed to Splice Sounds just so I can get monthly samples and quench the GAS until I can get my setup killshots, the Empress Zoia and UDO Super 6.

Until then I’ll be snagging samples for the OB6 and any other instrument/genre I want for $14-$15/month (I forgot what I paid, but not expensive).

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tom Oberheim & Dave Smith OB6

can it receive program changes via midi?

Yes.

2 Likes

sweet! reckon this will work perfectly for my needs… thanks!

This is the kind of statement that makes me want to go home and make music with what I already own - no need to use gear for its marketed purpose, especially if you can have fun without using the intended functions!

6 Likes

I’m really enjoying the MS a couple months in. I quite like its easy going approach. I’m not a beginner at all but the simplified workflow just pleases me I guess… Ctrl all and the knob per function controls make it really fun and quick to interact with your sequences live. It’s pretty much replaced the Rytm in my setup because of that.

4 Likes

Model:Samples is my favourite Elektron since the Monomachine /Machinedrum.
I like it better than Octatrack

4 Likes

As much as I still love it for what it does, myself I don’t use it much anymore. I’ve been on the Octatrack for too long and am tainted.

Knowing what Elektron is capable of, what they’ve done previously for sampling and samples, I’m just pulled back into their larger machines, even though I try to resist.

I was on the start and I went on MS
far as I’m concerned I work the opposite of you

It has rather enriched my experience and sharpen my curiosity for a sampljob

:sweat_smile::star_struck::kissing_heart:::rofl:

1 Like

And that alone testifies to how great it is, right? :slight_smile: To me, it’s clear I want what the Octatrack offers, but I can still appreciate how great the Model: Samples is. And to you, the opposite is clear but just as true. It’s like that tried and true cliché that you need to go far sometimes to realise that what you had at home all along, always was what you wanted.

3 Likes

It’s nice to read a wise speech
Your second part is so true :tunga::sweat_smile:
To understand how different desires can be regulated by this or that machine

The adventure is long and expensive…
And …In the end the creation is rewarded

1 Like

I like it.

I think I may need to learn more…problem is somethings I am not sure if I “don’t know it or how” or it doesn’t do it.

I am personally trying to use it as a complimentary drum kit for the Circuit.

I am having a hard time isolating midi and removing CC info from affecting my settings on MODEL.

I am hoping upgrades add some more usability.

I also have found that the audio interface is not always reliable with audio coming from Ableton.

So much so I am having to plug MAC back into Mixer which defeats purpose.

I think some things may be me not having settings correct or inadvertently missing something.

There is a lot room for improvement but still a cool little box that does some nice stuff.

Way more fun than an app anyway…

1 Like

You have so much way of working music : :
To remember ideas :rofl:
Linking sounds and editing techniques :tunga:
…And ::
Simply be satisfied with the real potential of the equipment for pleasure and sécurity::
And that will prosper

it’s a weird beast.
i think it’s the most fun elektron box i’ve had.
but the buttons are pretty wonky.
played a set with it recently and the sticky buttons had me stumbling several times…
dunno…
couldn’t recommend it to people, but it’s a blast to make beats with.

1 Like

It’s fun, immediate, and a great way to jam out on the fly and get some nice sounding results. The downside for me is that it only has stereo outs. I just need to be able to adjust the volume of the tracks after I have recorded a session. And I can’t track out, because to me, the best & most immediate features of the machine can’t be tracked out.

1 Like