Hip Hop Beat Battle #30: Outkast on Williams Street

@sleepside great choice with the Lupin samples!

This was a show I used to always try to catch growing up, but could never get the title of (before the cable boxes had programming guides), and then it got replaced in the lineup. This may have fallen under Toonami, but the memory is a bit blurry. It’s a lesser known anime, The Big-O, and was played on the same late night time slots (If I remember correctly the order was: Samurai Champloo > Cowboy Bebop > Big O), and was like a fusion of Robots/ Batman, and filled with lots of big scores and jazzy elements.

Here are some heavy lines from the show:

edit:

Also, since we are on topic, I’m not sure if it would be possible to summon the ultra-talented @JonMakesBeats to please explain the sample origins used to create this classic set, but any insight would be absolutely marvelous!

2 Likes

Hey folks. We are three days out from deadline. How’s everyone feeling? Do we need a deadline extension?

2 Likes

i havent had any luck whipping anything together for this one, best wishes to those dipping their toes in

1 Like

Ah damn, I have zero chance of doing this one, work is just taking over at the moment :frowning:

1 Like

This is really a though one, even though it seemed to be easy. I just can’t find a fitting acapella for my weird sample choice…

1 Like

I’ve done something that I’m not madly keen on in its present state, but I’ll definitely get something to you once I’ve tweaked it a bit

1 Like

In a similar boat as you all, but only have a couple of loops that don’t really work together so far. Got hit with a lame cold too over the weekend, which hasn’t helped much. Taking somewhat of a gamble hoping that the approaching deadline pressure will guide accordingly, but definitely will get something in!

1 Like

Would it help if I pushed it to Sunday, or should I keep the Wednesday deadline?

2 Likes

New deadline: Sunday, April 21st, 11:59 pm PDT.

Andre_sg_tea

5 Likes

Dam, that playlist is great!

2 Likes

Hey folks. Today is the last day, and we have one submission so far. How are we feeling?

3 Likes

I’ve done mine, I’ll send it a bit later today.

I’m surprised you’ve only got the one submission, I hope you get a bunch today

3 Likes

I’m amongst an internal conflict at the moment as there was some random inspiration yesterday, something in the air, but I will definitely get something in by 11:59:59pm :baby:

3 Likes

got one submitted, can’t wait to hear what y’all made again :slight_smile: cheers!

4 Likes

I’m hoping to have something in today. Got started on it yesterday. Gonna be a rough one! Appreciate the extension, feels good to make something again after a few weeks :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Working hard on stuff and excited about this challenge!

I was in college with a T-1 line and Limewire so the challenge-within-a-challenge I set myself this week was to only use [a s] material that was already on my hard drive. No YouTube, no new downloads.

Some of it is super low bitrate and aliased to hell but I think that sort of adds to the feel.

And luckily I just happened to pick up some Outkast 12"s at the last Record Riot that have a capellas on the backs. Kismet.

As usual, at this point I have 3 songs I’m sorta happy with and can’t decide which one is the real winner. Practicing them now… today is proving day.

5 Likes

Sounds delicious!

4 Likes

Alright submitted :beers: @sleepside This was a really fun and nostalgic topic to wander and be a part of! You guys, OT blessed me with such a phat remix yesterday that’s going to remain in a repetitive loop status as I’ll be at a wedding for the rest of the day. The only thing is it’s just drums and a bass sample without any AS elements, so I figured it wouldn’t be a proper submission anyway, therefore will upload it after the votes are in.

Good luck to those in production mode, and I’m really looking forward to this playlist! :eyes:

5 Likes

Thanks everyone who joined the battle! New playlist and thread will be going up early this week. If I missed your submission (didn’t heart or comment), please let me know!

5 Likes

Voting thread is up!

2 Likes