Hip Hop Beat Battle #28 - Elektronauts, mount up!

Sisters and bro’s from different area codes, I’ve noticed a few things on this forum.

First of all, I’ve noticed that on this forum and the beats submitted in these battles there is a strong bias towards NY style east-coast boom bap. And as much as I love that style myself, it does make me wonder:

“Elektronauts ain’t got no love for the west coast? Elektronauts ain’t got no love for that G-Funk?”

Also, as a wise MC once said “The east created, the west decorated it” So I do think that it is time for us to move ahead (ohoho) and embrace the best of what the West Coast has to offer.

Second, I’ve noticed that last year - throughout all the celebratory happenings surrounding Hip-Hop’s 50th birthday - there were lots of tributes to those we lost along the way.

However, a name that was largely absent from these tributes was one that defined the sound of west coast Hip-Hop in general and G-Funk in particular.

The Soul Man of G-Funk. The Great late Nate Dogg.

This year, it is 30 years ago that G-Funk took over the world. While the release of The Chronic in 1992 introduced the G-Funk sound, the release of “Regulate” ensured that the sound conquered the globe.

So my fellow Nauts, let’s get funked out with a gangster twist!

The 28th battle will be a G-Funk Tribute battle! Here are the rules:

• The beat must include a typical G-Funk lead (the “westside whistle”). It can be both be sampled or made with a synth or VST

• You MUST use a Nate Dogg Accapella. Of course, it ain’t no fun if the homies can’t have none, so you can also include verses (or snippets) from his main man Warren G. No other vocals allowed, except as single words for ear candy (and yes, Westsiiiiiiide counts as a single word)

• Chords, Strings, you can bring(s) melodies from any source. Sample or synth

• Rhythm is life, and life is rhythm. Drums must be able to get the low-riders bouncing, but can come from any source. Same goes for the bass.

Points are distributed as usual, but you must award an additional bonus point to the beat with the best original G-Funk lead. Original meaning that you either come up with it yourself using a (soft) synth, or that you chop up an existing one in a creative way.

This bonus point can be awarded as an extra point to one of your top three beats, or a completely different beat. So it could be:

1. Beat #2 (3 points)
  2. Beat #1 (2 points)
  3. Beat #3 (1 point)

Bonus point for Beat 6 (1 point)

Beats should be submitted before February 9th.

Here are some examples of the G-funk leads:

(The high pitched sound that comes in at 0:13)

@malus_mons
@looms
@Yabba
@Doug
@Unifono
@Sleepyhead
@sleepside
@emadb
@rockpapergoat
@DimensionsTomorrow

16 Likes

Bout time! Warning, if I win I will make it a Hyphy beat challenge

5 Likes

Sounds good to me, with a slight aspect of out of my comfort zone.

Nice one @Jedilicious

5 Likes

I was wonder after two east coast challenges in the series when the west would turn up. My uncle used to have Doggystyle on repeat when I was still single digits, so this will be a fun one

2 Likes

The track that started it all

4 Likes

same :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That was actually the first album I ever bought. I was 8, but heard it when my older cousin was playing it and was instantly captivated….

2 Likes

the only G Funk album I really know. Loved it though, but I always was a total NY style fan

1 Like

I was a big fan of the above the law album back in the day, it’s kind of G-funk that sounds a bit more east coast on some sample choices

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZs_frL3Dh5A6sJrSZJR9GwKAlZd6j2DI&feature=shared

3 Likes

sounds like a fun one. honored to be mentioned despite not having made anything in awhile. i might try to whip up something.

3 Likes

Would be great if you could drop something :blush:

I typed out the names of some regulars that were top of mind for me, I probably missed lots of them though, so to everyone reading this, feel free to tag others!

I can’t find too much in the way of Nate Dogg acapellas, are tracks that feature him on a verse ok or only him and Warren G?

Any Nate Dogg vocal will do, so also from tracks featuring other artists. However, you can not use vocals from the other artist (Warren G being the exception)

For example, let’s say you like his vocals on Area Codes, you can use the Nate Dogg vocal from that track, but not the Ludacris vocals.

You can use any Warren G vocals you like, even from tracks without Nate Dogg on it.

The reason that I make this exception for Warren G is that they are like Meth & Red, Bonnie and Clyde, Peanut butter and Jelly. They just go together so well.

If you have a specific track you like that you don’t have an acapella for, let me know via DM and I can extract the vocals for you with serato sample.

2 Likes

Cheers mate much appreciated I may just do that, my laptop takes about an hour to do about 8 bars when I try and split stems

1 Like

Sure thing! Just send me the YT link and I will send you the vocals.

1 Like

How are you guys going? If anyone other than Yabba needs some help stemming the Nate Dogg vocals, just send me a wav or MP3 of a track.

I’ve got something going on the Isla… needs some more work, but getting there.

2 Likes

almost done. first time trying g-funk… and I really don’t want to be the first… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha, I won’t spill the beans on who submitted first, so you can just send it when you are done. You have some time left though, so just Let it Ride :sunglasses:

so how do I submit my beat? I thought I had to post it here.

Ah, glad you asked. You send it to the host (me in this case) via PM as a wav file :blush:

Once all submissions are in I will upload them on our shared SoundCloud as anonymous beats. Only after the voting I will reveal who submitted each beat.

1 Like