Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 34 | Robert Palmer - Spanish Moon

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Thank you all for joining in another week of sampling goodness! Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are some other Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

Wishing everyone a funky weekend in any and all sections of whichever rooms of the respective homes you are currently occupying. This week we’ll take a quick dive into the works of Robert Palmer and the song “Spanish Moon,” which is the fourth track on Palmer’s album titled, “Some People Can Do What They Like.” The album was released in 1976 on Island Records (ILPS - 9420).

Here is some information about Robert Palmer, and the album, from Wikipedia and Allmusic:

Robert Allen Palmer (19 January 1949 – 26 September 2003) was an English singer and songwriter. He was known for his powerful, soulful voice and sartorial elegance, and his stylistic explorations, combining soul, funk, jazz, rock, pop, reggae, and blues. Over his four-decade career, Palmer is perhaps best known for the song “Addicted to Love” and its accompanying video, which came to “epitomise the glamour and excesses of the 1980s”.[1]

Having started in the music industry in the 1960s, including a spell with Vinegar Joe, he found success in the 1980s, both in his solo career and with the Power Station, scoring Top 10 hits in the United Kingdom and the United States.[2][3] Three of his hit singles, including “Addicted to Love”, featured music videos directed by British fashion photographer Terence Donovan.[4]

Palmer received a number of awards throughout his career, including two Grammy Awards for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance and an MTV Video Music Award. He was also nominated by the Brit Award for Best British Male Solo Artist.[5][6] He died at age 54, following a heart attack.

Some People Can Do What They Like is the third solo album by Robert Palmer, released in 1976. It includes “Man Smart, Woman Smarter” which peaked at number 63 on the Billboard Pop Singles chart and number 46 in the UK in 1977. The album peaked at number 68 in the US. The album was dedicated to Mongezi Feza. The model on the front cover, engaging Palmer in a game of strip poker, is Playboy magazine’s April 1976 Playmate of the Month, Denise Michele.

-Taken from Wikipedia.org

" Robert Palmer’s third album is a blue-eyed soul disc that sits comfortably alongside Sneakin’ Sally Through the Alley and Pressure Drop. This time, Palmer drops the orchestrations that tarted up portions of Pressure Drop in favor of a stripped-down yet stylish sound that shows off his ability to create a romantic, soulful mood. Highlights include “One Last Look,” a lush breakup ballad that features a catchy, harmony-drenched chorus, and “Keep in Touch,” a romantic tune that highlights Palmer’s vocal style at its seductive height over a jazzy yet mellow melody built on a complex background vocal arrangement. Another standout track is “Man Smart, Woman Smarter,” a tongue-in-cheek look at the battle between the sexes that deftly blends pop melodicism with reggae rhythms. The downside of Some People Can Do What They Like is that it often favors mood over hooks and this leads to music that is listenable yet falls short of being truly compelling: funky mood pieces like “What Can You Bring Me” and “Hard Head” successfully evoke a sultry mood but never take that mood in an interesting melodic direction. Another problem track is “Off the Bone,” an effects-drenched instrumental snippet that serves no purpose other than to fill up two minutes of the album’s running time. Despite these occasional lapses, Some People Can Do What They Like remains a solid and likable outing with enough memorable moments to please anyone who enjoys blue-eyed soul at its most silky and elegant."

- Review for Allmusic.com by Donald A. Guarisco

Here are two versions of the track available on YouTube, in case anyone experiences regional playback issues:

Here is a link to the FLAC version of the track and a version that has been converted to 16bit/44.1KHz wav, please delete it after using:

ROBERT PALMER - SPANISH MOON (FLAC)

ROBERT PALMER - SPANISH MOON (WAV)

ROBERT PALMER - SPANISH MOON (STEMS)

links are active for one week from today (01/27/24)

Album Photos:

images from google search

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even Jackie Brown’s hairstylist.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday, February 4, 2024

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, February 4, 2024, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

6 Likes

Nice one! I’ve been very absent recently folks but am making an effort to get back in the game. Will give this one a bash but my submission will be late with the requisite shame.

I even have next weeks sample lined up already :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Ok so I made a start already and this is a banger! Loving working with it!

The original audio downloads have expired so I just did a rip from YouTube

2 Likes

I was thinking about having a crack at this but it’s expired. Any chance of a repost?

1 Like

A quick loop from last night, did some chops in Koala then fed those to the DT

7 Likes

Welcome back @natehorn, hope things are good man.

Nice work @NVVI. I like the vibe.

I had a crack at this a few nights ago but couldn’t come up with anything I liked. Might try again this week if i find the time.

3 Likes

Here’s a little beat I made using chops from the drums and bassline of the track as well as some vocal one-shots - I added the rhodes :v:

6 Likes

Here you go pal https://we.tl/t-bG17HgRuoi

2 Likes

Thanks chap.

I would normally just do it from my PC, but I’m iPad only at the moment and I haven’t yet worked out how to sample from YouTube

1 Like

Koala. Screen-record the video, then import into Koala.

2 Likes

Here’s my go

Reimagined as some kind of glitchy dub.

Done on a knackered 10 year old iPad Air 2 with a shattered screen my mum gave me.
First time doing work on an iPad quite fun!

Track made with Drambo which is very cool.

Used Koala as a vocal sampler
Sugar Bytes Egoist for loop mangling
Fab Filter Twin 3 for bass
Hammerhead for Drums

A fun experience and a bit different to working on the laptop!

6 Likes

You all @everyone my apologies I caught something towards the weekend and got a little displaced.

@NVVI That’s a sweet formula you have there it’s sounding aweomse! Thank you for sharing :beers:

@natehorn Woah man total style shift and MASSIVE return track! WELCOME BACK :beers:

@monquixote totally captured the glitchy dub and in such a flavorful way! Thank you for sharing :beers:

Also, thank you to @everyone that was able to attend this week and looking forward to seeing you all again on another fresh voyage!

:sailboat:

2 Likes

This is something I started early last week, but then got a zombie curse for a few moments. Nothing a few smokes can’t fix :older_man:

3 Likes

It must be zombie curse internash @aarb420 as I’ve been flat out with a bug since Sunday. Managed to cook this up today though so must be getting better. Bit of a different process for me in that I added the sample after building a lot of the rest of the tune when I normally start with a sample. First is an instrumental (that no doubt goes on too long!) second is a slightly simplified of the same with a bit of wu on top. it goes out of time so there’s a fade out… :man_shrugging: :joy:

4 Likes

@looms Man this is such an amazing track :exploding_head: Wanted to respond the other day but kind of in this juggling the zombie thing man wishing you well on your end man :beers: Really awesome remix too thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks man! Hope you feel better soon. My particular zombie lurgy has been hanging around for over a week. F’king annoying now!

1 Like