Hip-Hop Beat Battle #19 Loosely rock themed

Last day to submit samples and join in, the final due date is the 19th of this month, so two weeks from today.

4 Likes

Nice track, I didn’t know this band. I like very much ^^

1 Like

That’ll work

What song did you post? It’s unavailable for me here in the US.

1 Like

Oh no, I will try to find another video of the song…
Edit : I change for another,tell me if you can listen it.

It’s Lofofora, one of the biggest and one of the first french metal fusion bands, they toured a lot in the mid nineties to the mid 2000 but they still active now.
They have very good lyrics, which is pretty rare in that genre :wink:

1 Like

Samples:

3 Likes

Never heard of them before though I know most of the folk in the band (not personally!!!) and weirdly, that main chunky guitar riff is lifted from an industrial sample CD from back in the 90s called Methods Of Mayhem - I got it as a gift for my 21st birthday and it always amuses whenever I hear those guitars anywhere.

1 Like

@jeye_musik, thank you! It’s so cool to find out where the original sample came from. I’m a big fan of the band Coil, so that’s how I stumbled onto the Inflatable Sideshow track. It’s on this rareish compilation CD called Foxtrot which features Coil. Always thought the guitar sample and the vocal craziness was incredible. I definitely plan to make my own remix of it at some point in life, but thought it was too good not to share it during the rock challenge. Hope someone does something cool with it!

@Doug, just for clarification, I have one question:
We are not allowed to use any samples that are not listed in this thread, correct? I made a beat from one of the videos listed in the thread already and found a vocal sample (not an accapella) that fit the beat well. After finishing the beat up, feeling that it’s pretty dope, but then I realized, I just lifted the vocal sample from a random ass documentary I was watching at the time and it’s not something from this thread. So, I can’t use this beat unless I rework it entirely and remove the sample that isn’t from this list, correct?

Is it possible that I could add one more short sample so that I could include the vocal clip? I totally understand if not. I still plan to make like 12 beats and submit the best one but I want to know if I can even consider my first attempt.

Edit: I think I just realized why I shouldn’t be allowed to add the vocal clip. Because if you allowed it and I add it to the thread, everyone will know it’s probably my beat if it uses that sample. Yikes. I guess this is just a dope beat I made, and can’t be used in this challenge.

2 Likes

The rules are clear and simple to follow. Let’s stick to them.

1 Like

Posting in Hip-Hop thread in case anyone wants to peep it.

2 Likes

I totally agree.

Sure, but I suggest making it separate post for it and keep this thread focused on the main task.

2 Likes

Well, i read this forum often but was surprised to notice i’d never set up an account… but here I am. Since i’m new i can’t attach files, so i uploaded 'em to dropbox and supplied links.

Excited to give this a shot, i’ve tried this sort of thing privately before, but never in a public forum.

Here are my picks-

one is a loop i grabbed from some guy playing drums on youtube.
the other is a bass from one of Legowelt’s free sample packs.

edit- dropbox link didn’t work. it does now.

6 Likes

Nah, and my fault for that. The rules weren’t very clearly written originally. I clarified after Yabba asked about it but didn’t update the original post until recently. The main thing that I wanted for this one, more than a rock theme is that everyone has roughly the same stuff to work with.

And welcome @flippantminister. Don’t worry if you can’t get your samples up. I didn’t have new users in mind when I wrote the rules so I didn’t foresee the complications. And that’s my fault. I’m happy to have you.

3 Likes

It’s not your fault at all big homie! I just wasn’t thinking when I pulled the vocal clip into the track and now that it’s there, I can’t talk myself into taking it out.

So, it’s all good. It’s still a pretty cool beat I think. And now I get to pick another sample to use and make something completely different, which is what I was about to do anyway. It’s never too big of a disappointment to realize that you fucked up but that the result of the fuck up is a dope beat. I’ll take that L all day everyday.

But thanks for saying that it’s your fault and it wasn’t worded clear to make me look a little less dumb. It was totally clear, I just wasn’t thinking. I’m still bringing the thunder this round, on my momma.

Edit: and talking shit to a room full of giants too. Giggity.

I was wondering if some Beefheart would show up…

samples from 19 tracks

~19 bars

9 Likes

1-2, such a fitting name for our resident hip-hop numerologist!

3 Likes

my fave Beefheart album! this one has some easy-to-grab bits that i thought would be fun to hear in a track.

Man. Just arrived here one day after the cutoff!

Been too busy listening to every De La Soul album :stuck_out_tongue:

This beat battle is a great theme!

I finally checked in here as it’s now 2023 - I’m hoping we get a few more chances to honour the great albums recorded 30 years ago…

Happy beat making.

4 Likes