Hip-Hop Beat Battle #19 Loosely rock themed

samples from 19 tracks

~19 bars

9 Likes

1-2, such a fitting name for our resident hip-hop numerologist!

3 Likes

my fave Beefheart album! this one has some easy-to-grab bits that i thought would be fun to hear in a track.

Man. Just arrived here one day after the cutoff!

Been too busy listening to every De La Soul album :stuck_out_tongue:

This beat battle is a great theme!

I finally checked in here as it’s now 2023 - I’m hoping we get a few more chances to honour the great albums recorded 30 years ago…

Happy beat making.

4 Likes

We did a Wu-Tang inspired challenge last year… suggestion for the upcoming winner: De La theme?

1 Like

Sorry a little off topic here but yes… and

we did a beat battle that celebrated the 30th year of Low End Theory, album by tribe called quest - I think the battle is here.

And so I’m saying since 1993 would be the 30 year anniversary for some albums that are imprinted in hiphop history (for example, ATCQ put out midnight marauders in Nov 1993)… I was just wishing.

So I guess I better knuckle down on the next battle and take the prize so I can get next and set the theme for at least one battle in 2023!

:fire:

3 Likes

Since this is my first time doing a battle like this in here, I would like to get clarification on a few things that are not listed in the rules:

• Can we use any tool to make a track (DAW, hardware, software, etc)?
  • Can we edit and transform samples any way we want?

ty

1 Like

Yes and yes.
This is my understanding.

1 Like

Yep. The only caveat I would give is that if you’re doing something like only using single cycle waveforms that you’re shaping up with filters and envelopes and what not then that might be against the spirit of this. But even then, that’s not against the rules. I’d just encourage against it.

On that note, if we do use samples that are not single cycles and we do turn them into instruments with envelopes, filters, LFOs, and polyphony, would that be more in the spirit of things?

As for my earlier post, by “edit and transform” I mean if there is a limit to how much manipulation and destruction to a sample we can do.

1 Like

I think even the single cycles is fine, especially if you’re doing something like making a bass or a lead sound to compliment your chops. I don’t want to draw a line and say this manipulation is allowable and this one is not. I’m just telling you my opinion and preference. I’m interested in hearing anything you want to do with the sample even if we have different ideas about what is and is not in the spirit of the beat battle.

That’s a lot of words to just say yes to your original question.

1 Like

Thank you.

I think 93 and going into 94 are arguably the best years for albums.
Midnight marauders
93 till infinity
Enta Da Stage
Hard to Earn
36 Chambers
Ilmmatic
Etc
Etc

5 Likes

Nothing compares to 1988: Nation of Millions, By All Means, Critical Beatdown, Straight Outta Compton, Strictly Business, Great Adventures of Slick Rick, Power, Lyte as a rock, In Full Gear, Long Live Kane, Goin Off, Straight out the Jungle, What more Can I Say?, etc.

2 Likes

You’re both right :+1:

1 Like

How are you guys doing on this one?

I had a hard time making something ‘rock’ sounding which sounded like me, but I think I got something. Might just make a second one for fun, props for all the great samples posted here guys!

5 Likes

Hardest part was choosing what to use, the amount of material was a bit overwhelming to be honest.
But I just finished my second version. I’m calling it done now for real.

6 Likes

That’s why I haven’t started yet

7 Likes

I think the idea of the battle is to make a hip hop beat with rock samples, not to make a rock-sounding hip hop beat.

2 Likes

Not sure that’s strictly the case

2 Likes