Help with regards to DN .dnsnd files

Hey elektronauts :blush::wave:

I’m new to the elektron world and I have a silly question and some help

Can someone tell me how to convert waves files to .dnsnd files, so i can import them into my digitone?

I made sounds in my daw but transfer dont take waves files…so im a bit lost here

Anyone?

Many thanks!

April 1 was yesterday.

5 Likes

.dnsnd are Digitone presets/patches = set of parameters to generate audio from the Digitone: you won’t find audio in there
.dnprj are projects for the Digitone, no audio sample neither, just parameters.

.dtsnd files are presets for the Digitakt, that include a sample and parameters such as reverse or repeat, etc.
.dtprj are projects for the Digitakt, they too contain samples.

It can happen that you get samples with a Digitone pack, but those are for preview only and can’t be loaded/used on the Digitone.

2 Likes

You can’t convert wav files to a digitone patch. Digitone is not a sampler that can play wav files. A wav file is a piece of audio sample. You can’t convert that into something that sets parameters on the digitone to recreate that sound :).

Cheers

3 Likes

I love elektronauts. this smile will last all day.

4 Likes

:thinking:

2 Likes

I feel like im dumb the way you answer thats not really Nice…im a newbie I know but come on…

So I cant import anything into the digitone? No sysex ? (If so how can I do?) and nothing else? I but sound patches, the have been made so there must be a way!

2 Likes

Dibs on “.dnsnd” as artist name.

1 Like

digitone is a synth, it cannot play samples, wav files are audio files and are not compatible with digitone, dnsnd files are kind of json files that store bunch of parameters for the synth parameters, they are not audio files, they are basically presets for the synth

2 Likes

…as said, ur a little confused…if i don’t take this for a late april joke…

transfer will handle any wav file, convert it into a mono 48k audio file and will transfer it to any elektron sampling device u might have…rytm or dtakt…in that case…

BUT, that elektron device u got in front of u, is a synth…it will never speak/understand wav audio files…so ur transfer app is alright…ur digitone is alright, it just got no clue what to do with what transfer is trying to transfer, since it’s not a sampling but a fm synth device…

but u can curate and backup ur synth presets via transfer…
ur warm welcome…

3 Likes

You can import patches, not wav files.

1 Like

For .dnsnd and .dnprj files, use Elektron’s Overbridge and/or Transfer apps.

I come from folk Music but want to explore new grounds, i’m learning, one step et a Time. I dont have to know everything before noodling with a synth!

I got it

Thanks for your answers

4 Likes

Hi, will send you a private message after I finished my dinner, don’t worry. And welcome to Elektronauts!

2 Likes

If it’s a sound that can be recreated with synthesis, you could use your waves as a reference to recreate the sound as a patch on the digitone. In this instance that’s probably your best bet.

You wouldn’t be able to recreate something like a sample of a record or speaking, but since you made the wav in your daw if it were a pure tone or something like drum hits, those type of things can be reinterpreted as synthesis and stored as patches.

Digitakt is the only one of the similar “digi” formatted boxes which can accept wav files as an audio format, digitone specifically uses frequency modulation as a form of synthesis and in that way is unique from the sampler digitakt and the syntakt which also uses synthesis but in a different capacity.

Digitone is very capable, in some ways more capable than a sampler, but just slightly more involved in the way you handle it. I’m sure you’ll like it and don’t be afraid to ask questions, people just like to have a laugh.

3 Likes

Thanks for you reply, its more clear to me now. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, /r/synthesizers got to be too much. Watched that place decline a lot over the years and it wasn’t just newbies asking questions, that part was fine but sometimes newbies would get weirdly aggressive.

Or people would just straight up offer terrible advice. Also just got tired of people posting pics of their Behringer synth with some title like “this is the first on my new journey” or something… just all the time. (lol, just went there to see and the top post was “first synth!” With a picture of a Minilogue sitting on a table).

None of this is directed at OP of this post. Usually this place is super chill, just bad timing considering yesterday was April Fools, and to a lot of people here the question seems so bizarre that it comes off as a joke, but don’t let that dissuade you from coming back this is a great community.

There’s definitely lots to learn with synthesizers and each one is different. If I were you I’d just focus on the presets that are in the device, don’t worry about buying packs or any of that. Just look at what’s on there and tweak things and learn.

Digitone was probably the worst Elektron to get as a first synth and first Elektron just because I feel like you’ll be learning the elektron sequencer and way of doing things but also FM is one of the more complex forms of synthesis but it’s definitely a great synth and you’ll have a ton of interesting sounds you can create out of it, just prepare yourself for an uphill battle in your learning process. When the frustration hits, take breaks and come back and stick with it.

1 Like

I understand carriers and operators, adsr, filtres and lfo…I composed some tracks since I have it, programmed a fes drums, learning from ivar tryti and true cuckoo and others…

But all the files and configuration part of it was a bit unclear to me. I ve always worked with audio files so…

But sorry if my question was really dumb, now I understand Why the digitone won’t take some specific files

4 Likes

Not a dumb question just the skill level here is a bit higher so it seems dumb to some people who are well past that stage in their knowledge journey, but we do have to remember that all of us were at a stage where seemingly basic things were complex or confusing or simply new.

5 Likes

no need to sorry :slight_smile:

play the demo patterns on the factory project, play some presets, you’ll find lots of sounds and structure to learn from, it’s an amazing synthesizer, you bought a great device :slight_smile:

1 Like