Help setting up MIDI Digitone + Modal 8

So I had to sell a bunch of my gear and recently bought a few things back, (sorry if this is a dumb question but its been a while) instead of a digitone keys I got a regular digitone and the new modal 8 (and an m-audio venom too lol) but I am sort of at a loss as to how to set this up properly, here is essentially what I would like to do:

Use the Modal to play the digitone, and be able to live record to the sequencer using the modal, but then use the digitone in turn to sequence the modal and whatever else I may hook up to it.

With the keys this was fairly straight forward as it had an onboard keyboard and I used that to sequence everything else, but now I can’t really seem to figure out whats going on. Right now I have the digitone out going into the modal in and the modal out going into the digitone in, which im sure is wrong. been using USB audio for the Digitone and then line out on the modal into a focuswrite running Reaper on my PC.

If anyone could suggest a setup I should use, I would appreciate it. Sorry again for the ask, its just been forever and I am getting too frustrated lol. Thanks in advance!

By “modal 8” do you mean ARGON8 or COBALT8 in keyboard form factor?

Cobalt8 yes I apologize, 37 key

1 Like

This is possible, although you may end up preferring to use the Venom in this role and using the COBALT8 further downstream because the Venom has some advantages in its MIDI capabilities.

Your MIDI connections are correct: you need the bi-directional connection that you have already made in order for the Digitone (DN) and the C8 to talk to each other.

On the DN:

In the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu:

• set OUT PORT FUNC to “MIDI”,
  • set INPUT FROM to “MIDI”,
  • set OUTPUT TO to “MIDI”.

In the SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > CHANNELS menu:

• make a note of the AUTO CHANNEL number (the default value is 10).

In a MIDI track, set the channel number (CHAN) to match the AUTO CHANNEL number noted above.

On the C8:

In the Settings > MIDI page:

• set Channel to match the AUTO CHANNEL number of the DN (noted above),
  • set Omni to Off.

In the Settings > Keyboard page:

• set Local to Off

Now, when you choose a track on the DN, the C8’s keyboard should play that track.

When you select the MIDI track that you assigned above, you should be able to record notes into the track and play them back to the C8.

Give that a try and see how it works for you.

(You will find limitations with this setup and at a later stage you may wish to incorporate the Venom with the C8.)

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I will try this in a minute. To be honest I think I was gonna sell the Venom as it was dumb of me to buy but ill take a better look at it now lol. Thanks again

@PeterHanes would you mind also explaining to me how I would have this set up if I wanted to use the Venom as you described? I am debating whether to keep it or not and this will probably be the deciding factor, thank you again for your patience with me!

In principle, it would work in exactly the same way. As far as I know, the Venom has a small advantage for your application in that its MIDI receive channels and MIDI transmit channel can be set to be different while the C8 forces its MIDI channel number to be the same for both receipt and transmission. This makes the Venom slightly less tricky for the bi-directional control that you described. We could go through specific settings if you were to try it but got stuck.

That may be of less consequence to you than other differences between the two such as sound quality or playability. On the other hand, with its 4-part multi-timbral capability, the Venom does have something to suit the DN’s capabilities.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Peter, I’ll give it another shot and post here with the results, most likely tomorrow as my neighbors will kill me otherwise lol.

If the Keybed feels nice, you will have a better workflow using the Venom with its dedicated Rx and Tx MIDI Channels. I bought a Co8 recently to use its Keybed (very nice one) to play my other Synths (and for its Sound, obviously) and was disappointed that it didn’t have dedicated Rx and Tx MIDI Channels. I had to use my Midihub to give it the workflow that I wanted.

1 Like

For what its worth, the keybed on the Venom is kind of garbage. I sent an email to Modal support asking if they will add the multi midi out functionality in a firmware update, hoping they do!

I already did and this is their answer :

« Hi.

Just to clarify.

The firmware in the Cobalt does not support send and receive on different channels.

How other manufacturers write their firmware to include this is not always comparable but that does not mean all will go down the same route.

How we implement monophonic, polyphonic, muti-timbral or other midi spec is part of the design of that product, not a universal concept that can be easily changed.

It has been part of the design of the sound engine/spec since concept.

We do apologize if the spec of the products doesn’t always meet everyones requirements.

Best Regards

Modal Support »

But it’s always good to contact them to submit a request.

1 Like

Virus? They usually have nice keybeds, the 37 keys have the same as the Modal ones… 61 keys have even nicer keys, TP8s. My favourite keybed ever.

1 Like

He meant Venom (M-Audio).

1 Like

Yes my bad, I meant Venom lol, whoops! Yeah I figure if enough people ask them about it they may work on it.

Why not just sell the digitone and venom and buy back a digitone keys?

1 Like

The more I think about it the more I may do this, the digitone actually had a messed up input so returning it and getting a refund, trying to sell the Venom and it was fairly brainless to program other equipment.

So follow up question that may be somewhat related. I have to send back the digitone I got as it had a power issue so I am debating just getting another Digitone Keys after selling the Venom. If I end up getting a digitone keys, is there any reason to keep the 37 key version of the Cobalt8? Figure I may as well get the module version but it will suck to be without a keyboard for a week lol.

Edit: Maybe keep the 37 key just for the poly aftertouch in case I ever want it?

The Co8 is not poly aftertouch, it is Channel Aftertouch.

Agh, so then maybe not much of a reason to keep it then, but I’d only save like, 100 bucks I think.

You are the only one who knows the Space you have.