Help me 'edit' my setup?

Tough list. I’d keep:

I’d consider changing the mixer/interface but it wouldn’t be worth the money if you aren’t hurting for space unless you wanted to switch to digital (which I strangely prefer). I left the samples because I like having some portable kit.

2 Likes

I also just skimmed down to a few pieces that I felt were necessary to make music. I put everything I owned music wise on a table together. It doesn’t take long to figure out what could go when it’s in front of you in a non setup scenario.

Good luck, it’s liberating to free your mind and room of items that may weigh on you.

2 Likes

if it were me… get rid of everything apart from :

Digitone
Prologue 8
Kawai K5000W
Pyramid
TR-8s
DFAM
Tascam Model 24
Mac running Logic X, guitars, pedals, &c

2 Likes

Thanks, all! It seems like the general consensus is that I can get by with about 1/2 to 1/3 of what I’ve got, which is what I suspected. Of course, the hard part is actually letting go…

Part of the problem is that I moved from a flat in Berlin, where I had to keep things to a minimum, to a big house in the US, where I built myself a studio/office (which my wife mostly stays out of) that has “allowed” me to pile up stuff to the point that it’s gotten out of hand. COVID anxiety buying hasn’t helped, either. It seems to magnify the effect of GAS. Some people buy a fancy car when they hit middle age–I seem to have acquired a car’s worth of gear.

I think the advice that resonates with me the most is to consider whether I want to trade in some of that “good enough” stuff for maybe one really powerful, higher-end synth to go along with the Elektrons and a few specialty pieces (the DFAM, NDLR, pedals). Some days I like to make old-fashioned house or techno and others droney post-rock or ambient (I didn’t even mention all the guitars!). But I definitely never set out to collect a museum of ok synths, which is what has kind of happened… :roll_eyes:

Some of the suggestions made me feel defensive, which is a good sign that they’re on target. So I’m not gonna try to defend my choices, just listen (which is a lesson I’ve learned in my marriage, too!).

You guys are great.

8 Likes

do you jam with your gear?
if yes, try different combinations of gear, using no more than 3 boxes at once. (mixers/recorders not counted.)
you’ll feel what’s redundant pretty quickly.

2 Likes

I do, and in fact this has contributed to the sprawl, since I have a couple of mini-setups I tend to use separately from the main one. The problem is, I often realize I haven’t used something for a while, turn it on, and think “oh yeah, I forgot I love this thing…”

1 Like

I’d pair things up or remove them in terms of redundancy:

Of those with options, I’d ditch the bass stuff all together, and go with the DFAM, TR-8s, Pyramid, and maybe Zoia if you really like it. Then I’d sell the A4 and upgrade to a Mk2.

I own about 25 synths, but only a few are setup in my studio at a given time. Every few weeks or after completing a project, I will swap out one or more synths to keep things interesting. This helps me to be productive, while having a wide array of synth options available.

2 Likes

Finally, somebody who gets me! :rofl:

1 Like

Do you get a lot of use out of your kordbot?
I’m kinda interested in picking one up, but curious if it’s that much more useful than iPad chord apps and/or launchpad pro

Is there some really expensive piece of gear you dream of owning? Set a goal to sell enough of the gear to get it and don’t stop until you do. Let anything go that’ll help you get to that goal. Keep the money in your Paypal or something so you don’t spend the money on anything except your goal. Imagine having a couple pieces that are really inspiring and exciting vs all of what you have now.

Remember that almost everything you own here you could buy again if you really regretted selling it down the road.

2 Likes

Dream Gear is overrated…once you have it, you mostly realize, you could have achieved the Same results with your old Gear as Well…

3 Likes

It’s not as much about the dream gear but motivation to reduce down to a few key pieces to focus on.

2 Likes

But the threadstarter already has a very good motivator…His wife!
:grin:

4 Likes

I get both points, actually. I think pulsn makes a good argument against just GASsing for whatever shiny new thing gets reviewed on YouTube, while I also appreciate the wisdom in really carefully selecting something that will be the centerpiece of a setup.

TBH–and I’m sure this is true of all of us at some points–I never really set out with a plan, but just slowly ended up acquiring stuff. I’m not going to get rid of everything because I do like having variety, but I also could have been a lot more selective and judicious in some of my purchases. I’m pretty well talked out of something like the Moog One (which does seem a tad overrated), but a high-quality poly in the $2000-$2500 range that I would really get to know seems attractive.

3 Likes

And fortunately my wife isn’t really worried about the money (we each have a personal bank account)–more the clutter!

2 Likes

Thats what i meant…"those cables there… ".
Setup must be partner compatible, i learned.

Some people pointed also out, that a few pieces seem redundant. A Computer, MPC One, Tascam 24 HD recorder…do you really need three devices for recording tracks?
You could Mix in the Box by using a Multichannel audio Interface and record only into a DAW.

Regarding the Poly Synth…you already own 4 great sounding analogue poly synths. Instead of buying a fifth one, i would suggest to optimize here as well.
A good
Then you got 6 Mono Synths…room for optimization.

Sequencer, fx Units…

I think you get the Idea. Start with the recording Setup and Work from there. If you don’t want to sell, Change the Studio and setup only half of whats there, the Rest goes into storage. Keep the cables hidden as much as possible, but also accessable for your needs.

Swap gear from Studio into storage and Vice versa, will also Help you to find out for yourself, what piece of Gear is necessary as a Tool for your music and whats Not.

2 Likes

It’s my main keyboard for programming melodies and chords. The MPC Live has a great pad perform mode that has some similarities but it’s not as intuitive as the Kordbot is to me. I’ve never tried any of the launchpads so I’m not familiar with their abilities. I love my Kordbot but to some other user it could as well be a useless trinket.

When I bought it, a few of my friends questioned my purchase and their main critique was that “You can get the same thing as an iPad app for 5€”. They had never tried a Kordbot but they had very strong opinions about it’s usability. For me it could never be replaced with an app as I use it as a midi controller for my synths and for my VJ software etc. I’ve yet to see an app that could do the things that the Kordbot does.

And on the other hand, if you follow that logic what’s the point of buying any synth or music gear as they can all be replaced with an app on your smart phone?

You are right. For me apps just don‘t feel „natural“. I think it‘s because it lacks the ability to have a tactile interface. It‘s hard (impossible?) to achieve muscle memory if there is nothing to grab or actually push and the changing UIs.

And that‘s all what it‘s about to stay „in the zone“ for me. I have to be able to blindly control the stuff I am using.

2 Likes

Very true. The point is though, that the OP just filled his room with Tools without a bigger plan or goal, and is now being forced to do something about and “Edit” the Setup.
Thats why the following is important for himself.

If He find’s Out that an app works best for him, why Not? If you don’t try you never know.